WiFi booster

Need to get one to push the WiFi to the shed and also backyard.

What's people using?

At a guess the shed is probably.... 15m or so from the new gigantic NBN modem.

Separated by three walls....

I sometimes get a teenzy bit of reception in there but not constant.

I've got my old iPhone in there for music and I'd like to be able to put a couple of internet radio apps on it as I'm getting utterly sick of JJJ.

I have the computer feeding the shed stereo, but seems silly to have that on all day when I can just use the phone.

:)

I'd recommend using an extender from the same manufacturer as the main wireless router you have. For consumer devices they all pretty much use the same technology to repeat the signal but if you use an extender from the same manufacturer then the software you use to set up will probably work a little better and make for a less frustrating experience.

Having said that, I have used a Linksys extender with multiple brands of router and it works quite well and is easy to set up.

http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/rangeexpanders/

Now if your current wifi router is at the wall right next to the gap between the house and shed then an extender will be pretty useless. 

Personally I would run an ethernet cable.

• Like 1

Does the wifi unit have antenna connections?

If so replace the standard ones with hi gain types, 9db ones might be enough.

Edit: maybe a 14dBi directional one?

Edited by ortofun

What did you use pre-NBN for your modem/wifi?

You been listening to the lunch time program host on JJJ again?

Nothing.

I get good reception on the patio, where I am right now, but the extra couple of steps and wall between here and the shed is too much.

Yes....

Louie and "The Doctor" have well and truly run their course in this shed.

As has the not-so-changing playlist of JJJ.

I'd recommend using an extender from the same manufacturer as the main wireless router you have. For consumer devices they all pretty much use the same technology to repeat the signal but if you use an extender from the same manufacturer then the software you use to set up will probably work a little better and make for a less frustrating experience.

Having said that, I have used a Linksys extender with multiple brands of router and it works quite well and is easy to set up.

http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/rangeexpanders/

Now if your current wifi router is at the wall right next to the gap between the house and shed then an extender will be pretty useless.

Personally I would run an ethernet cable.

Does the wifi unit have antenna connections?

If so replace the standard ones with hi gain types, 9db ones might be enough.

Noted and noted.

Will have a look at the modem itself and search from there.

Wasn't sure if the boosters were generic or modem specific....

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

It's not.

There's... Well, probably 4 walls all up in between as the crow flies.

I say "probably" as one is a divider with a servery kinda setup.

So would a generic (for example) Jaycar booster/extender work?

I have 2 out of 3 bars where I am now and there's only a tin wall and 4 m to where I need WiFi...

So would a generic (for example) Jaycar booster/extender work?

I have 2 out of 3 bars where I am now and there's only a tin wall and 4 m to where I need WiFi...

I wouldn't get one from there.

Get a real one ;)

I wouldn't get one from there.

Get a real one ;)

Which is why I said "for example"....

Anyway, the other half has gone to the shopping centre and will look for a suitable booster based on the modem we have.

What router are you using?

I'd look at the router itself, to be honest.  Advances in router technology have been extreme, and massive improvements gained, which means routers outdate very quickly at the moment.  I wanted a gigabit pass-through router for optic fibre, so bought the latest and greatest model (ASUS RT-AC68U http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/ ), which has AC wifi.  Percentage wise, the largest improvement in speed was noted on the wifi.

Although there really aren't many AC compliant devices on the market at the moment, ALL devices still benefit greatly.  The technology itself is better than G and N, which includes much improved coverage as well as eliminating drop outs as the signal locks on to devices.  Our range doubled when we upgraded the router, as did the speed.  Using a booster on old technology may not be the best solution...

EDIT: Personally, I don't go looking for routers from ISP's, but rather computer stores such as Scorpian tech or Centrecom or Warcom.com.  You should get better value for money.

Edited by Kaynin

• Volunteer

our router is just hooked into an apple base station extreme. below is the latest version

http://www.apple.com/au/airport-extreme/

gets us wifi upstairs downstairs and to surf the net in the back yard or garage. no matter where you are :)

Is that a wifi booster?

How does it compare to the airport express?

Is that a wifi booster?

How does it compare to the airport express?

yes, to the point if you have any wifi capability on the router you can just turn that off.

airport express is a pretty basic unit really only if you have a small unit or something with pretty limited range and capability.

Ended up with a Linksys WiFi extender.

Apparently people in the shops weren't very helpful or educated on the products they sell...

Supposedly this was the only one which was "NBN compatible".

Either way, it works fine and the shed and backyard are now WiFi'd

As per Astr0b0y's comments

Ethernet is best if practical, then probably either Ethernet over power line or Wifi extender.

With the wifi extender it is definitely good advice to sty with the same brand.

NBN compatible wireless extenders - what a load of codswallop, there's no such thing.  Same amount of credibility as "digital speakers".

My recommendation for future reference is to consider purchasing a wireless extender that supports both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands and is 802.11ac capable and DLNA certified.  This should give you some degree of future proofing for the foreseeable expected lifespan of the product.

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6100.aspx

This model is dead easy to set up.  It just needs a power point to plug into at the right location.  Supports 802.11 b/g/n/ac with 2.4 and 5GHz bands with wiFi speeds upto 750Mbits/s.

Like all WiFi repeaters it needs to be physically located where the primary WiFi coverage is still good.  See Netgear's support documentation on recommendations.

For those with  Android based smartphones I suggest you download the free WiFi Analyser app from the GooglePlay store.  Search for farproc wifi analyser.

The app is extremely easy to use and will allow you to check WiFi RF levels around your home.  The higher the peak in the graph, the stronger the signal.  This app will assist you in identifying dead zones within your home and determine suitable locations for the WiFi repeater to be installed.

For those without an Android based smartphone, the same program is available for your laptop from http://www.metageeks.com

Cheers,

Alan

NBN compatible wireless extenders - what a load of codswallop, .

:lol:

Yeh, I know...

I wasn't there when it was purchased but apparently my beloved and her sister went to a couple of stores before finding anyone who seemed to have half a clue.

<_<

My recommendation for future reference is to consider purchasing a wireless extender that supports both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands and is 802.11ac capable and DLNA certified.  

Well.... This one seems to tick most of those boxes.

:mellow:

Either way, all is well and I have full WiFi in the shed which was the main problem earlier.

^_^

These days where would you be without WiFi?

No one in my household use a direct connection, I put in 200metres of networking cable everywhere so every room is connected, now I have a wireless ADSL 2 and it connects to every device that comes in range, of I only knew what I know now! The 200 metres are just sitting there idle!