Sub $500 Phono Stage

Guest jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77

Sorry if this topic has been done, I did look I promise.

I just want a simple phono stage to bypass the one in my Rotel pre. I had a Yaqin tube a while back but sold that. Are there any SNA members that recommend one in this range that punches above it's weight??

Guest jakeyb77

Jasmine LP 2.0 is a legitimate giant slayer in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks mate will have a look... :thumb:

Hmmm looks good..don't have a lead on one do you?? haha

Edited by jakeyb77

Contact @@mwhouston. I've got his Mimic MM phono stage in a second system and for well under your budget, it is seriously good. For your type of budget, I expect he could build something exceptional.

The Dynavector are a very nice phono - only $775 direct from JD audio.

Mark Houston's phono's are great value too.

I had a La Boca battery powered of his which sounded sweet as !

• Like 1

I just want a simple phono stage to bypass the one in my Rotel pre. I had a Yaqin tube a while back but sold that. Are there any SNA members that recommend one in this range that punches above it's weight??

The Hagerman Bugle (now Bugle 2, I think) is great sounding.  Jim H will supply one fully made up.

Much better sounding than the Nighthawk recommended by ba, below, IMO (which I find boring-sounding).

Andy

Absolutely it is. The others I would consider at or around your budget on the used market are the Nighthawk, PS Audio GCPH, Ifi iPhono.

Edited by andyr

The Hagerman Bugle (now Bugle 2, I think) is great sounding. Jim H will supply one fully made up.

Much better sounding than the Nighthawk recommended by ba, below, IMO (which I find boring-sounding).

Andy

Yep I owned the bugle too - actually @@djb has it now and I believe it sounds much better after you worked some magic on it @@andyr

I still have fond memories of my nighthawk and wish I had been able to keep it - it made way for upgrades in other areas - but like many things I guess it is system dependent?

Would actually love to hear your phono stages you build someday Andy

You could always try the Slee Loaner Program, the Gram Amp 2 Communicator and the Gram Amp 2 SE are both great little phono stages and meet your budget. With the loaner program you can borrow them first for free and see what you prefer. :thumb: Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 3

Guest jakeyb77

Ok some great suggestions and thanks to all for your advice... I have contacted @@mwhouston and on recommendation from SNA members I will give the Mimic a go. Seems to fit the bill for what I need at this stage.

The Dynavector are a very nice phono - only $775 direct from JD audio.

Mark Houston's phono's are great value too.

I had a La Boca battery powered of his which sounded sweet as !

AUD775 for a Mk III

Great price!

Yep I owned the bugle too - actually @@djb has it now and I believe it sounds much better after you worked some magic on it @@andyr

I still have fond memories of my nighthawk and wish I had been able to keep it - it made way for upgrades in other areas - but like many things I guess it is system dependent?

Would actually love to hear your phono stages you build someday Andy

Aah, so you obviously preferred the Nighthawk, ba?  All goes to show ... different strokes ... :)

Send me a PM at the end of Feb and I should have my MM one back, so you could borrow it.

But what cart do you have - and what phono stage do you have now?

Regards,

Andy

Absolutely it is. The others I would consider at or around your budget on the used market are the Nighthawk, PS Audio GCPH, Ifi iPhono.

I second that - the GCPH was my favorite - punchy nice weight and presence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks mate will have a look... :thumb:

Hmmm looks good..don't have a lead on one do you?? haha

I have one with upgrade caps that I can be persuaded to be parted with...have kinda upgraded (read: bought something way more expensive) :P I say kinda upgraded because I don't feel the Jasmine lacks behind as such.

This particular Jasmine was the majority fave in a group shootout with other SNAers last year.

• Like 1

I have one with upgrade caps that I can be persuaded to be parted with...have kinda upgraded (read: bought something way more expensive) :P I say kinda upgraded because I don't feel the Jasmine lacks behind as such.

This particular Jasmine was the majority fave in a group shootout with other SNAers last year.

The Jasmine was certainly my all 'round pick on the day David.  Very nice little unit.  I would love to arrange a shootout between it and the PS Audio GCPH now residing in my system.

• Like 1

Aah, so you obviously preferred the Nighthawk, ba? All goes to show ... different strokes ... :)

Send me a PM at the end of Feb and I should have my MM one back, so you could borrow it.

But what cart do you have - and what phono stage do you have now?

Regards,

Andy

Missed this sorry @@andyr - will pm you

Contact @@mwhouston. I've got his Mimic MM phono stage in a second system and for well under your budget, it is seriously good. For your type of budget, I expect he could build something exceptional.

I am listening to The Mimic MM here too and it sounds lovely and is much better than my Naim prefix at 5X the price, i also put an old cambridge 551p in a few weeks back and let it warm up during the day, when i dropped the cart in it lasted one side a no brain er really.
  • Like 1