Antipodes Owners & Discussion Thread

30 minutes ago, dbastin said:

I think this is the Australian Distributor.

https://sonicpurity.com.au/brands/antipodes-audio

4 hours ago, kishorebs85 said:

Hello Everyone - This is Kishore from Singapore.

We don’t have any dealer in singapore for Anitpodes, can I check if there is any dealer here who can ship to singapore?

I am looking to purchase either K40 or CX or S40/S60 to primarily host the Roon Server

Thanks in advance.

Correct @dbastin.

@kishorebs85 contact rom at puremusicgroup.com

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kishorebs85 said:

Hello Everyone - This is Kishore from Singapore.

We don’t have any dealer in singapore for Anitpodes, can I check if there is any dealer here who can ship to singapore?

I am looking to purchase either K40 or CX or S40/S60 to primarily host the Roon Server

Thanks in advance.

Antipodes will ship direct to customers in countries where there is no local distributor:

https://antipodes.audio/buy/

While it notes that the HiFi Drop function is not currently active you can contact Antipodes at support@antipodes.audio.

On 16/09/2021 at 7:13 AM, richardloh said:

Hi Delphi17,

How do you compared stored music files and streaming ?

I am streaming from free full flac internet stations likd Hionline, Frequence 3 etc., 320kbps stations and even 192khz like The Wave - Relaxing music which I find generally better than my ripped stored files in my 2x4TB samsung 860 SSDs.

Streaming music seems to be sounding less compressed and certainly of wider stage than even most dsd stored files .. and the difference is the same after the oladra upgrade albiet overall had obviously improved.

I am on squeezelite and and android squeezer app for control with less than favorable room accoustic.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard.

I am surprised you feel streaming is actually better.

I think it might be your system has higher resolution, and perhaps the better details from stored files just feels a bit too detailed with your room accoustic/speaker.
It's like higher resolution speakers in a less ideal room can often sound worse than a more modest speaker.

I am using Roon, so really can't report on the squeezelite player.

Maybe you can download a trial of Roon and see if that improves your experience somewhat.

Antipodes has core already installed, so that's always convenient to try.

On my ATC , I definitely can hear that even NAS files has a very slight difference to files that are directly stored in server.
Streaming is another small step lower.

I store all my favorite on my server, and only stream or use NAS for the other albums.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, delphi17 said:

I store all my favorite on my server, and only stream or use NAS for the other albums.

Try removing the SSD, its SATA and power cables (they are a source of noise, possibly) , and then judge.  Then insert the NAS into the network as upstream as possible, while still giving good power supply.  You might find there is little difference between NAS and streaming, and lower noise floor without the SSD.

But it will likely depend on how well your network is isolated from the outside world, and how good the switches etc in your network are.

1 hour ago, dbastin said:

Try removing the SSD, its SATA and power cables (they are a source of noise, possibly) , and then judge.  Then insert the NAS into the network as upstream as possible, while still giving good power supply.  You might find there is little difference between NAS and streaming, and lower noise floor without the SSD.

But it will likely depend on how well your network is isolated from the outside world, and how good the switches etc in your network are.

Yeah make sense to try, if all I do is stream.

but why would I use a server thens?

I am sure streaming will improve if I throw more money at it and improve my network.

but the whole point of getting an audiophile server is so I can store files and have the best performance coming from the server.

Thus, Shorten the signal path from source to Dac .

otherwise I am sure a network transport like Aries 2.1 will be better for this job .

11 hours ago, delphi17 said:

I am sure streaming will improve if I throw more money at it and improve my network.

but the whole point of getting an audiophile server is so I can store files and have the best performance coming from the server.

Thus, Shorten the signal path from source to Dac .

otherwise I am sure a network transport like Aries 2.1 will be better for this job .

Streaming with the right components and connectivity can sound extremely good and my journey over the last seven or so months of refining what works and what for me doesn’t has just about turned my listening world upside down where I now mainly stream. 

If we are talking the higher end of the market then from personal experience trying out then comparing back to back various brands of Streamers so far I have found this.
An Aries G2.1 with a Sirius Upscaler produces around the same high level of sq as a K50, still having said that they are both quite different in how they deliver that sound quality, very simply put one is more organic and one is more resolving.
 Just as many people who have listened to the various streaming systems at my place prefer one sound delivery of a particular brand over the other. It’s actually almost evenly split.

It’s no different to preferring the sq delivered by one brand of speakers over another. Same goes for the Innuos Zenith, add the Phenoix Reclocker and the sound that duo delivers is very impressive but again Innuous has its own sound signature compared to either the higher end Auralic and the Antipodes, no two brands of streamers sound 100% the same. What works best? it comes down to personal preference, each has its strengths and weaknesses as well and each it’s own price point, still, once you add on upscalers and reclockers and quality interconnect cables, which are needed if you are going to get the most of separates, then it’s a lot closer on cost then it might first appear.

Obviously then they are all dependent on what DAC they are used with but that’s another story all together, but I will say system synergy is all important.

Some of you have asked me to say on here what streamer I prefer but what I prefer is not that important, it’s what sq and sound delivery you prefer and which streamer sounds best in your system to your ears.  Chances are you won’t find that out from someone on a forum trying to tell you which they believe sounds the best because their system and their sq preferences more than likely are not anything like yours and one other important consideration, how many different brands of streamers at similar price points have those offering their thoughts actually compared back to back?

If I can offer some advice, where possible, try each at your place or find a way to hear / compare for yourself. At the very least ask what the sq strengths and weaknesses of each streamer is you are considering and if the person you are talking to can’t answer those questions then you are more than likely listening to the wrong person.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 4

Thanks for your feedback and added values Terry @TerryO, all info comes with data and real experimenting, no guessing or assuming.

if Auralic Aries G2.1 plus Sirus  are just approaching performance of Antipodes K50, then K50 is a steal for performance per dollar.  Considering two decent “audiophile” power cords, one Ethernet cable and one set of AES in/out or USB in/out, the added cost can be north of 5k. I am sure not many people in top component levels want to cheap out in cables (not to bring up a debate).

k50 can handle everything with one power cable and one ethernet in and huge  bonus undeniable win :music server and player. Auralic is just a player and will be benefit for some who just want simple system with main Internet streaming ability, no local music file or “unfriend” with Roon subscription cost. Auralic wins for anyone cannot run ethernet cable but still have the best quality via wifi

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

Thanks for your feedback and added values Terry @TerryO, all info comes with data and real experimenting, no guessing or assuming.

if Auralic Aries G2.1 plus Sirus  are just approaching performance of Antipodes K50, then K50 is a steal for performance per dollar.  Considering two decent “audiophile” power cords, one Ethernet cable and one set of AES in/out or USB in/out, the added cost can be north of 5k. I am sure not many people in top component levels want to cheap out in cables (not to bring up a debate).

k50 can handle everything with one power cable and one ethernet in and huge  bonus undeniable win :music server and player. Auralic is just a player and will be benefit for some who just want simple system with main Internet streaming ability, no local music file or “unfriend” with Roon subscription cost

Hi Kevin, 

You make some very good points. Agreed the Aries G1 is only a Streamer, but the Aries G2.1 once a HD is added, which is relatively easy, can be both a streamer and server, agreed it doesn’t have the same flexibility as the K50’s three HD slots, but even just one 4 or 8 TB HD carries a huge mount of music.

The Aries is not a Roon core like an Antipodes, Roon end point yes but not core. Having said that the Aries delivers a better sound through its own firmware LigtheningDS then how Roon sounds through it. The Aries does have the flexibility of either wireless or Ethernet connectivity, Wireless is very good providing you have a very good wireless system in your house, the Wireless when using LightenDS is just as good as their Ethernet, if not in some cases better. But I would not say wireless on its own is always better than some other systems Ethernet. 

As I said previously each system has its strengths and weaknesses, but more importantly each has their own sound signature.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TerryO said:

Streaming with the right components and connectivity can sound extremely good

Absolutely agree!  

20 hours ago, TerryO said:

they are both quite different in how they deliver that sound quality

And it is possible to mix the qualities of 2 brands.  An Auralic this and the Antipodes that.

10 hours ago, TerryO said:

Having said that the Aries delivers a better sound through its own firmware LigtheningDS then how Roon sounds through it.

And that is how Auralic creates a difference to its competitors.  But this is not to say Roon on any device is not as good as Lightning DS.

10 hours ago, TerryO said:

Wireless when using LightenDS is just as good as their Ethernet, if not in some cases better. But I would not say wireless on its own is always better than some other systems Ethernet. 

Ethernet -v- wifi depends on the upstream network and isolation.  The G2.1 internal galvanic isolation might reduce the difference between these 2 network connections on G2.1.

I use wifi to isolate from my endpoint (Devialet Pro), EtherRegen to isolate the wifi access pont from the Antipodes EX (server), and another EtherRegen to isolate the router from the outside world.

IME wifi can be extremely good.  It can totally isolate from upstream 'noise' leaving the endpoint to just minimise the noise it generates.

I thought it was awesome until, with great thanks to Terry's help and the enthusiastic Mr Lenehan, I got some better speaker stands and mounts for my subs, and then I realised how much more awesome-ness there was.  Who would've though some springs could make such a difference.

Try not to overlook the potential weaknesses in the system when upgrading.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2021 at 5:51 PM, dbastin said:

IME wifi can be extremely good.  It can totally isolate from upstream 'noise' leaving the endpoint to just minimise the noise it generates.

Indeed and same for me ... my 25m supra cat 8 cable is in the storeroom as dedicated wire mesh sounded better.

However, wifi within a streamer must be needing hell of a lot of design and materials with still doubts to me ... having my wire mesh near any of my components, digital or analog, corrupts sound and at worse case added obvious artifacts that I thought the tweeters on my Salon 2 were goners.

Cheers.

On 22/09/2021 at 4:46 PM, delphi17 said:

Hi Richard.

I am surprised you feel streaming is actually better.

I think it might be your system has higher resolution, and perhaps the better details from stored files just feels a bit too detailed with your room accoustic/speaker.
It's like higher resolution speakers in a less ideal room can often sound worse than a more modest speaker.

I am using Roon, so really can't report on the squeezelite player.

Maybe you can download a trial of Roon and see if that improves your experience somewhat.

Antipodes has core already installed, so that's always convenient to try.

On my ATC , I definitely can hear that even NAS files has a very slight difference to files that are directly stored in server.
Streaming is another small step lower.

Hope that helps.

Hi Delphi17,

Thanks for your advice and sharing

My ex and cx had been back for last 3 weeks after the not inexpensive oladra upgrade. With moving the ER and AD double crown oxco clock between the ex and cx i.e. nearer my T+ dac as advised by Uptone Audio, SSD playback is now better than streaming free 16bits 44.1khz full flac.

In addition, I believe my previous impression is also due to me being misled by consistent SQ dependent of certain broadcast stations and I naturally followed best sounding ones like full flac hionline, Frequence 3 etc. Even 192khz the wave or MRTI jazz sounded wide and deep ... yes, streaming can sound great and I hope for 24bit 192khz like Qobuz in the future.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richardloh

Hi everyone 

I’m building a server cabinet that is going to be hidden away in a cupboard. It will have my media servers and some other network gear. 

I’m tossing up if I should put my CX in with the server gear. The key thing it will change is I won’t be able to power it via my ps audio p15 power regenerator. 

I know the best thing to do is try it but what’s the general consensus on powering the cx? Is it worth running it from my p15 or will wall power be ok?

Thanks, John 

6 hours ago, Jhsg said:

I’m tossing up if I should put my CX in with the server gear. The key thing it will change is I won’t be able to power it via my ps audio p15 power regenerator. 

A CX must not be located in a closed space. It generates a lot of heat and needs plenty of ambient air flow top and sides.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jhsg said:

Hi everyone 

I’m building a server cabinet that is going to be hidden away in a cupboard. It will have my media servers and some other network gear. 

I know the best thing to do is try it but what’s the general consensus on powering the cx? Is it worth running it from my p15 or will wall power be ok?

Thanks, John 

My S40 and network switch have benefit from power conditioner. I have dedicated line, the rest of my equipment is directly connected to walls. Maybe the isolation helps with some harmonic kickback from those noisy computer-based devices

• Like 2

I have found through comparing back to back that Streamers and especially DACs always provide a better sound quality when plugged into the P15 rather than directly in to the wall.

In fact most every HiFi component, including some tube amps, to my ears sound better plugged into the P15.

There are some exceptions to that, being most larger SS amps which do not sound as good let alone better, but that is why they made the P20 though.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jhsg said:

what’s the general consensus on powering the cx? Is it worth running it from my p15 or will wall power be ok?

Generally audio gear benefits from clean power and unrestricted current.  Some power cords are claimed to do this well enough (Shunyata comes to mind, where some big SS amps perform better direct into the wall with very high end power cable instead of conditioning).

My experience is, even improving power to the router makes a difference, and CX as roon core plays a much more important role.  Besides, not giving CX diminishes its potential.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jhsg said:

I’m building a server cabinet that is going to be hidden away in a cupboard. It will have my media servers and some other network gear. I’m tossing up if I should put my CX in with the server gear. The key thing it will change is I won’t be able to power it via my ps audio p15 power regenerator. I know the best thing to do is try it but what’s the general consensus on powering the cx? Is it worth running it from my p15 or will wall power be ok?

I have a number of thoughts for you on this topic.

Firstly, as mentioned by @tonyd the CX needs open space for airflow around it.  Locate the CX near your hifi equipment in an open rack if possible.  

Secondly, locating the CX close to your DAC or streamer (depending on how you use it) allows for short cable runs to connected upstream components.  I have found short USB lengths (using CX as server and renderer) and short ethernet lengths (using CX as server only) from CX to a downstream component offer an audible benefit compared to longer cable lengths.

Thirdly, any computer close to your DAC can be detrimental to sound quality through RF and EMI radiated to the DAC through direct connections and via the ground plane.  This is the potential drawback with locating the CX in your hifi rack.  However, the CX is already a very low noise / low RF / low EMI design. 

Fourth, power conditioners and perhaps power regenerators can mitigate issues with EMI,  RF and ground plane noise.  So, if running the CX in a hifi rack, you may notice some (in my experience small) benefits from a power conditioner, power regenerator, ground treatment, and downstream treatments (eg reclockers, USB regenerators or Network treatments).  As you already have a P15, and as an owner of a P10 previously, my view is that these work best on source components only, and really only if set to a lower output voltage of 220V to 230V.  As this “tweak” may result in voided warranties on equipment, I feel I should warn you.  However, I have suggested this to several people, including @TerryO, who have also tried it and affirmed it seems to work.  I’m not sure why, but it does, and the overall result is comparable to what I get when using a Shunyata Denali power/ground conditioner.

So, in summary, my opinion is CX in the rack, short connections, power from the P15 set to 220-230V.

Edited by Stereophilus
Grammar
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments everyone. Think I’ll leave my CX where it is in my cabinet. 

Few comments about heat. See attached pic - this isn’t a small cupboard. :) 

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

"the duo of Squeeze server/Squeezelite player, transmitted via single AES3 to the dCS Rossini DAC + Clock, delivered the most transparent, detailed, color-saturated, vivid, midrange-and bass-rich sound of all options available to me. In addition, files stored on the K50's optional SSD sounded a mite better"

so there is a consistent feedback from many users/reviewers about best sound quality from AES3, SSD and non-Roon players. lol.

Has anyone  tried HQPlayer and confirm it is worth time/money to spend extra on the Antipodes server/player?

Thought I chime in 

23 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

"the duo of Squeeze server/Squeezelite player, transmitted via single AES3 to the dCS Rossini DAC + Clock, delivered the most transparent, detailed, color-saturated, vivid, midrange-and bass-rich sound of all options available to me. In addition, files stored on the K50's optional SSD sounded a mite better"

so there is a consistent feedback from many users/reviewers about best sound quality from AES3, SSD and non-Roon players. lol.

Has anyone  tried HQPlayer and confirm it is worth time/money to spend extra on the Antipodes server/player?

Thought I chime in on this being a fairly recent K30 owner.

I’ve tried Roon, HQP, Squeeze and MPD, and settled on MPD player by a fair margin. Others on the head-fi Antipodes owners thread all settled with either Squeeze or MPD being the preferred option so might depend on the rest of the setup as to which player you ended up preferring. 

I would say skip HQP and try either Squeeze or MPD. HQP is worthwhile to try I think only if you want the upsampling which others compare to the M-Scaler.

User interface definitely can’t be compared to Roon, but I have learnt to live with sub par interface to get the most SQ for now. 

• Like 2

I think for dacs that don't have upsampling, and has excellent Non oversampling capability, the HQP will be most beneficial.

For dacs that already upsamples (especially ones that upsamples to DSD level) , I think on DSP and algorithm and synergy reasons, it will be best to let the DAC handle the upsampling.

However a friend of mine has the Grimm Mu1 server, and he does X2 oversampling on his Mu1 , sends it to his Mola Mola Tambaqui to upsample the rest. (he found x4 on the Mu1 to be too much , and feels un-natural to him)

So it really comes down to trial and finding the sound you like.

• Like 1

Another thing interesting on the article is about the USB being inferior to the other outputs.

I personally think USB has come a long way, and on various systems I heard, USB out to a lot of dacs, usually yielded the best results.

I know it's due to the design of the DAC.

But I think it's worth pointing out that I don't think USB is an inferior interface.

Especially when you have an USB cable that matches both the player and the dac.