Antipodes Owners & Discussion Thread

On 31/01/2021 at 6:42 PM, richardloh said:

Hi White, no ... it was just that I am asking for some custom mods and had been advised to hold until the upgrade to be available to send over my units.  Cheers.

Any indication of when they think the EX / CX upgrades will come available?

-------------------------------------------

I had to send my CX back to Antipodes last week as it hit a big problem after the R28 software upgrade (was this the issue or just a confidence). The CX would show on my network for 5 to 10 minutes then would fall off (still turned on, but lost to the network), and was also heating up extremely hot during this time. Tony and Mark C. both tried externally logging in to look at my CX, but as it kept dropping off my network, then they eventually said to send it back for them to have a look at.

Antipodes paid for the postage back to NZ (good on them) received it on Friday, and are going to have a look at it and get back to me. I've already raised the question with Mark C. that if the CX needs repair due to a warranty issue would they be willing to look at a trade-in deal for a K40 (not sure what's involved with future upgrades for CX's so never went down this line). I wanted to look at the K40 first as I currently connect my CX to my Devialet 1000pro via ethernet and the K40 seemed a logical choice in upgrade (K50 is just too rich for my budget, and the K40 has the better V5.6H board over the K30 V5.2H board).

One part of me wants the CX fixed and back to me ASAP (in time for roll-out of new Roon 1.8), but another part sneakily wonders if the CX has a warranty issue then what options would Antipodes be able to offer for an upgrade to a K40 ?

@Celts88 That's a tricky one, I was hoping that by now we would know what upgrade options are available (I have the CX & EX).

They provide excellent service, not many companies would pay for the freight. They stand by there product which is worth a lot in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whites said:

@Celts88 That's a tricky one, I was hoping that by now we would know what upgrade options are available (I have the CX & EX).

They provide excellent service, not many companies would pay for the freight. They stand by there product which is worth a lot in my opinion.

I've only got good things to say of my dealings with Antipodes, so no complaints from myself and would highly recommend them (I previously had a DS, before I upgraded to the CX) ?

In my system there is definitely a change in the sound. It’s taken me by surprise as I wasn’t expecting any change.

Tonight is first night that I have a chance to listen properly.  Not sure yet if I like the change.

hi @richardloh  i also had a go with the etheregen thing.  it is quite amazing what it does at the price.  it achieves things similar to an install i had with an expensive lps for the modem (expensive power cord for lps as well and also isolation) and then expensive e/net cables.  i use it for my TV and it did amazing things for voice clarity and picture quality of course.  true clarity.  i can hear things i have not been able to parse previously.  does work nicer with nicer power and lps but v good with the one it comes with.

a very special product overall i reckon.  not many things  compare re: impact/dollar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have had in my system for nearly a year a first model Antipodes Server that is quite ancient and I was always impressed at how good it sounded for such an old bit of kit.

So after several discussions with the importers I decided to add the S30/40 and S60 combo to our demonstration stock and a couple of days ago they arrived, finally I plugged them in yesterday and I must say even though these are basically their entry level components I’m seriously rapt in how good the S40/60 sounds even when brand new out of the box.
I am told they will take at least a week to start to settle in, so looking forward to that time passing very much to be able to hear how good they can be.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TerryO said:

I have had in my system for nearly a year a first model Antipodes Server that is quite ancient and I was always impressed at how good it sounded for such an old bit of kit.

So after several discussions with the importers I decided to add the S30/40 and S60 combo to our demonstration stock and a couple of days ago they arrived, finally I plugged them in yesterday and I must say even though these are basically their entry level components I’m seriously rapt in how good the S40/60 sounds even when brand new out of the box.
I am told they will take at least a week to start to settle in, so looking forward to that time passing very much to be able to hear how good they can be.

cheers,

Terry

Hi Terry, what dac/streamer are you using? Do you have any Ethernet/USb tweak in place before Antipodes?

I am keen on the S40/60 combo too,K30/40 price is too steep for music server, I just worry a 12k box value after 3 years and stop me think to put serious investment on a server but better somewhere else.

Thanks,

Edited by ikhuong

2 hours ago, ikhuong said:

Hi Terry, what dac/streamer are you using? Do you have any Ethernet/USb tweak in place before Antipodes?

I am keen on the S40/60 combo too,K30/40 price is too steep for music server, I just worry a 12k box value after 3 years and stop me think to put serious investment on a server but better somewhere else.

Thanks,

Hi Kevin,

In my main system I am using a Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac which is also a Roon end point. As of last week I have an Innuos PhenonixNet switch reclocker prior to any components and in this system it is eithernet cabling all the way to the Dac, if I was going to use USB cabling to the Dac then the even more cost effective S30 is an option.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TerryO said:

I have an Innuos PhenonixNet switch reclocker prior to any components

You might find it more beneficial to put the PhoenixNet in the very last leg of ethernet.  That is what I have found between EX and Devialet even compared to US$1100 ethernet cables in that last leg.

• Like 2

Well given how much I have liked the S40/60 combo I have taken the plunge and ordered a K50. Given all the chat about how good AES/EBU cabling works with the K series I have also ordered an Atlas Mavros AES/EBU cable as well. 

Should have the K50 in about a week or so, really looking forward to it. I realise they have not been out for long but I’d be interested to hear about others experiences of the K50 in their system. 

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

A mates K50 turned up yesterday and as he is on holidays for a week he asked me to run it in for him, he didn’t have to ask twice.

It’s been on for 24 hours now and it has really opened up, I’m hearing things in songs and music that I never heard before, very impressive to say the least, can’t wait to hear what it’s like in a few days time with more hours on it. The sad thing is I have to give it back soon and start all over again with my one.

The picture below is of the old and the new, on the lower left side is a first model Antipodes server that I have really enjoyed listening to for the last year.

cheers,

Terry

16E35619-3D46-491D-A1C8-BCAFE52194C1.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@TerryO That's a good friend.

I have the CX/EX combination, hopefully Antipodes will announce upgrade options soon. With older models they seemed to be very proactive in providing upgrades.

Edited by Whites
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

I just got hold of a cx ex combo too. Looking forward to firing them up and seeing how they compare to Innuos Zenith iii.

No contest... the CX+EX is a significant step up IMO.  I guess it depends a bit on the DAC though.

57 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

No contest... the CX+EX is a significant step up IMO.  I guess it depends a bit on the DAC though.

Hi, have you owned them both or spent time with them side by side to formulate that opinion ?

19 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Hi, have you owned them both or spent time with them side by side to formulate that opinion ?

I’ve owned the CX+EX combo for about a year, before selling the EX when I added an built-in renderer to my DAC (obviating the need for the EX).  I’ve never had an Innuos server in my system, but I’ve heard them in other systems and compared to antipodes servers.  My opinion, as expressed, is based on that experience.

I can give you further details if you wish, PM me if you want.

Ultimately, you are right to be sceptical though.  The only opinion that matters in your listening is yours.

22 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

I’ve owned the CX+EX combo for about a year, before selling the EX when I added an built-in renderer to my DAC (obviating the need for the EX).  I’ve never had an Innuos server in my system, but I’ve heard them in other systems and compared to antipodes servers.  My opinion, as expressed, is based on that experience.

I can give you further details if you wish, PM me if you want.

Ultimately, you are right to be sceptical though.  The only opinion that matters in your listening is yours.

Thankyou for the reply. I read up on your earlier observations. Your system sounds like a very nice system, I bet it has pretty great resolving ability.

I’m not skeptical of your findings, I was interested how you came to that conclusion. I myself have actually sought out the antipodes based on advice from other members whom I trust. And whichever sounds better will stay. I am too of the mind the antipodes will be better based on what I have been told, which is why I sought it out.

But Will let my ears decide over the next few days.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ray H said:

Gday All,

What software do you guys recommend as the interface if you don’t use roon ?

I have Ipeng, from what I can gather this does work.

You can use Squeezebox Server/Squeezelite with iPeng. You may find SQ better than Roon.

Edited by TD19
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ray H said:

What software do you guys recommend as the interface if you don’t use roon ?

I have Ipeng, from what I can gather this does work.

iPeng is the iOS app for Logitech Media Server (LMS) which is the primary music server for your Innuos.  LMS is also available on Antipodes, hence you can continue using iPeng.

The other main alternative is Mpd and you will need a new iOS app e.g. Soundirok.  Mpd brings out detail while LMS is more relaxed.  LMS has lots of configuration options, including Tidal integration while Mpd is more limited and Tidal does not work.  I prefer Mpd  but use LMS for its Tidal integration.  

p/s not an Antipodes owner, but Antipodes use widely available servers/players such as LMS and Mpd. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

iPeng is the iOS app for Logitech Media Server (LMS) which is the primary music server for your Innuos.  LMS is also available on Antipodes, hence you can continue using iPeng.

The other main alternative is Mpd and you will need a new iOS app e.g. Soundirok.  Mpd brings out detail while LMS is more relaxed.  LMS has lots of configuration options, including Tidal integration while Mpd is more limited and Tidal does not work.  I prefer Mpd  but use LMS for its Tidal integration.  

p/s not an Antipodes owner, but Antipodes use widely available servers/players such as LMS and Mpd. 

Thanks mate, very informative answer.

• Like 1

Snoopy8 is completely correct. Squeezebox Server is an alternative name for LMS and is the name Antipodes uses in its GUI.

You might try the Glider control app if you use MPD, it is also iOS.

• Like 2