Next Gen OLED TVs

Looks like LG has finally announced successors to the current sole curved 55"

http://www.lg.com/us/press-release/lg-electronics-expands-oled-tv-category-in-u.s.-with-new-flat-oled-4k-tvs

with a newer range of OLEDs in both 55" and 65" and finally in a flat version ! thank goodness they have finally seen sense ! 

and with also with 4K and capability for High Dynamic Range (HDR) to suit the new UHD blu-ray player spec.

Al

Next, Next gen perhaps.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/85623-oled-4k-uhd-tvs-are-now-available/

4K 55 and 65 inch OLED's have been in Aussie show rooms for 2 months now, as reported in the other thread  - they look stunning.

I look forward to the flat screen OLED eventually making it out to AU.

Al

Next, Next gen perhaps.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/85623-oled-4k-uhd-tvs-are-now-available/

4K 55 and 65 inch OLED's have been in Aussie show rooms for 2 months now, as reported in the other thread  - they look stunning.

I look forward to the flat screen OLED eventually making it out to AU.

yes what has been available here for 2 months has now been superseded by the range just announced.

OLED goes back years and years…and has been available in this country in various various forms.

the problems with the current range OLED TV available here are 

curved screen

lack of UHD spec compatibility 

inconsistency of colour

reliability of oled  e.g. dead pixels.

one can only hope the new gen screens announced and further generations to come only build on this.

as a note while the new gen range announced talks of UHD spec compatibility with HDR I see no mention of support for wider gamut with 10bit capability…..

yes what has been available here for 2 months has now been superseded by the range just announced.

OLED goes back years and years…and has been available in this country in various various forms.

curved screen

inconsistency of colour

one can only hope the new gen screens announced and further generations to come only build on this.

as a note while the new gen range announced talks of UHD spec compatibility with HDR I see no mention of support for wider gamut with 10bit capability…..

That's it , I am out. I have no idea what that means but I am out ;)

I am just going to keep slumming it with Plasma

• Like 2

A mate got one of the LG 55" curved models. It is a great looking TV (I mean the picture). Whilst I am not a fan of the curve after a movie we didn't notice anymore.

Nick

looks carp looking anything from front on. curved flat panels are the silliest gimmick yet invented.

That's it , I am out. I have no idea what that means but I am out ;)

I am just going to keep slumming it with Plasma

hehe its to take advantage of the UHD spec that goes from 8 bit colour to 10 bit…i.e. wider gamut. 

this article from 2009 explains it well,

http://www.techhive.com/article/171223/10_bit_color.html

the TVs we have now as in back in 2009 don't support anything above 8 bit colour….its why you will often see whats called "posterisation" or colour banding…one of the side effects of only having 8 bit colour :)

looks carp looking anything from front on. curved flat panels are the silliest gimmick yet invented.

hehe its to take advantage of the UHD spec that goes from 8 bit colour to 10 bit…i.e. wider gamut. 

this article from 2009 explains it well,

http://www.techhive.com/article/171223/10_bit_color.html

the TVs we have now as in back in 2009 don't support anything above 8 bit colour….its why you will often see whats called "posterisation" or colour banding…one of the side effects of only having 8 bit colour :)

Why do you single out oled with this curved screen issue when so many samsung 4k's are curved?

I'm with you mate... I reckon my Plasma will last another 5 years.... Hopefully **** will be sorted by then.

I hope so…mines been going last 5+ years too …so I do hope another 5 isn't a stretch :D

Why do you single out oled with this curved screen issue when so many samsung 4k's are curved?

all flat panel curved screens are a gimmick …no matter the brand :)

curved screens are needed in super large commercial theatres…with mega sized screens but not for flat panels in the home. even for huge home theatre screens curved screens aren't needed (unless using early gen scope lenses where curve needed to correct for lens distortion)

That's all very well if you live in a perfect world, but if you want oled, it's curved or get a 4k flat.

thats the point of this thread. there is choice …. the range just announced is available as flat :)

from the original article quoted above,

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Aug. 25, 2015 â€“ LG Electronics USA today announced pricing and availability for the latest addition to its OLED family of televisions – the EF9500 flat OLED 4K TV series – scheduled to begin arriving at retailers nationwide in September. The EF9500 series represents the world’s first flat 4K Ultra HD resolution OLED TV displays.

I apologise to Al and others for my anger in this thread.  It's been a heavy week.  For some months now I've had the 1080p 55 inch curved oled on lay-by.  Originally I had a Samsung 4k on lay-by then spent some time comparing panels mainly with the naked eye.  For me it's hard to say curved or flat because it's going in a small room where it will be viewed front on from about 2.5 meters and I feel I need to use it before deciding going back to a flat panel but I've given it a lot of thought in recent weeks.

• Like 1

Then you can come in here and tell us how wonderful your 65 inch flat oled is.

little hint…I won't be buying any 65" screen :) I run a 92" projector screen so any flat panel use will only be relatively small…50" current maybe 55" if ever current dies and is irreparable …and like a few others here…heres hoping it doesn't die any time soon :D 

Good thing about my 65VT60 that beats OLED, not only does it have stunning picture qualitiy but it doubles as a heater in the winter.

a few of us I guess have a few things heating our rooms…yep one thing about plasmas is they do generate a little bit of heat.

When are they released in Australia?

why don't you ring LG and ask if keen to find out, and then post back here incase anyone else is interested :)

I apologise to Al and others for my anger in this thread.  It's been a heavy week.  For some months now I've had the 1080p 55 inch curved oled on lay-by.  Originally I had a Samsung 4k on lay-by then spent some time comparing panels mainly with the naked eye.  For me it's hard to say curved or flat because it's going in a small room where it will be viewed front on from about 2.5 meters and I feel I need to use it before deciding going back to a flat panel but I've given it a lot of thought in recent weeks.

like with anything, people will buy whatever takes their fancy to suit their needs so am not sure the need for anger, but given something being decided with a lot of thought am sure it will be a well considered decision what ever the choice maybe :)

little hint…I won't be buying any 65" screen :) I run a 92" projector screen so any flat panel use will only be relatively small…50" current maybe 55" if ever current dies and is irreparable …and like a few others here…heres hoping it doesn't die any time soon :D

a few of us I guess have a few things heating our rooms…yep one thing about plasmas is they do generate a little bit of heat.

why don't you ring LG and ask if keen to find out, and then post back here incase anyone else is interested :)

like with anything, people will buy whatever takes their fancy to suit their needs so am not sure the need for anger, but given something being decided with a lot of thought am sure it will be a well considered decision what ever the choice maybe :)

Betty

Why don't you ring LG.

you are the OP that posted this US based OLED release,  for what reason?    Bored?

Edited by metal beat

Betty

Why don't you ring LG.

you are the OP that posted this US based OLED release,  for what reason?    Bored?

I post on technology because I have an interest. yourself I suggest you don't make things personal. play the ball ….not the man. OK.

• Like 2

Thanks for that, Al.  I think it's the significance I put on the whole a/v thing, that I strive to get it right, that it's been quite a journey with two recent choices and with the oled, and I've had mixed feelings about a curved screen but don't think they'll let me change it again.  I'm not out to make excuses but it's been a turbulent patch personally.  I'll certainly use the info you've provided for future reference.

• Like 2

curved screen

inconsistency of colour

The current range not been superseded. They are adding the two flat screen versions

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1435349050

The current range not been superseded. They are adding the two flat screen versions

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1435349050

I am not sure why you have posted a link from back in june when we were talking about tests of the current panel which is not topic of this thread.

and yes the current one panel has been superseded in technology. flat is not the only differences between models the new range is also 4K HDR 

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ef950v-201508264156.htm

still some question on full HDR capability and one thing the original testing showed with the current range was issues of uniformity. one can only hope the new range improves on this. time will tell...

one things for sure, as with any av gear cant hold back the pace of tech, as per the article above,

"LG’s new 4K OLED TVs will begin going on sale in South Korea, Germany, the USA and the United Kingdom at the end of August (2015), with the rollout scheduled to continue over the next few months in select markets. UK pricing remains unknown, but we’ll be sure to bring you more details once we visit LG’s show booth (Hall 18) at IFA next week."