Atmos and 3D audio Adventures

after experiencing the demo at audio trends showcasing atmos using their marantz AV8802 processor and MK system in their main room. It definitely has my interest.

Have noticed have a few discs even that are Atmos capable. with American Sniper, Unbroken and transformers edge of extinction, Gravity diamond edition. and more recently the atmos demo disc (same as what audio trends played).

So now exploring Atmos options for my room.

One of the dilemmas are the other 3D audio formats…Auro3D and DTS-X. DTS-X is yet to be released as such but one thing to get head around is a speaker setup that would suit all these 3D sound formats.

So far have narrowed down to adding 4 height speakers to my 7.1 setup…as per the dolby site,

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html

and the guidelines 

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

for L&R Top front overhead 

& L&R Top Rear overhead speakers

and then for Auro3D a "Voice of God" VOG speaker. directly above the main listening position.

leading to 5 height speakers in all which takes up all available outputs on the marantz processor :)

so that speaker locations for atmos/Auro3D taken care off…DTS-X we are yet to have confirmation but the understanding is …it is speaker location agnostic…so will use what ever you have…anyways time will tell.

anyone else got Atmos setup or considering Atmos and other 3D audio format support ?

Hi al, completely agree with your summation of speaker placement to cater for all three formats, based on available published material. Intend to execute this in my media room during q1 2016, along with a HDR capable 4k screen. Looking forward to the uhd bluray player of course but obviously there is much water to pass under the bridge till then :)

I will definitely investigate Atmos further. I had a demo. At The Cable Connection and was impressed.

When I update my receiver I will look at a 7.2.4 system.

what goodies are you using al ?

Or considering to use ?

this is definitely something I would consider a couple of years down the track.

It did feel that the sound was around me like a nice big cuddle of sound.

hi damo, the only atmos/3D audio capable thing I have is the marantz av8802 processor. I have 2 spare channels on my elektra theatre HD...so I could potentially try Atmos/3D audio with a couple of height speakers.

but I have a lot more to work out first. I am firstly very keen to see what dts-x turns out to be ...little apprehensive to jump in too deep to only find what I might put in might not suit all the 3D audio formats.

I have focal speakers...so am keen if going for any height speakers as needed for 3D audio would be to stick with focal...though one fly in the ointment...focal make no sealed in ceiling speakers...and am reluctant to make holes in the ceiling and be pumping sound into the ceiling space to have sound leaking through rest of the house ...including upstairs where kids might be assleep while we are watching/listening to something. I get away with it now with not disturbing the kids t modest volume levels we watch at now :)

an alternative might be to go another brand in ceilings e.g. monitor audio or krix whom make  sealed backs but some reluctance to another brand speakers with potentially different voicing.

some ways around this ...eg can install "back boxes" in the ceiling ...but would have to work out how to do this without pulling down the whole ceiling and how can be done as a retro fit ...so exploring options there. whether some after market solution, custom made back boxes or even flexible back boxes which there seem to be available as well.

and then could look at something like this in the focal IC108 which seems decent good size speakers without costing ridiculous money @ $550 a pair.

http://www.lenwallisaudio.com/products/speakers/in-ceiling-in-wall/ic108

I would need to add additional channels of amplification...this is an easy choice I would simply just go another elektra theatre HD

http://store.melbournehifi.com.au/index.php/elektra-theatron-hd-7-channel-power-amplifier.html

and utilise it to drive the additional 5 channels of height speakers needed for atmos and 3D :)

Hi al, completely agree with your summation of speaker placement to cater for all three formats, based on available published material. Intend to execute this in my media room during q1 2016, along with a HDR capable 4k screen. Looking forward to the uhd bluray player of course but obviously there is much water to pass under the bridge till then :)

hi LC,

one intersting article I found was this one,

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/What-s-Up-with-3D-Immersive-Sound.shtml

which is what got me to conclusion that 7.1 plus four heights as per atmos plus a VOG speaker directly overhead should do me for 3D audio, but yeah if find/know of more published material that sheds more light on the topic would love to read :)

I agree a lot of water still to go under the bridge...but exciting times :)

• Like 2

I was impressed with the Dolby Atmos / MK room at Audio Trends also.

To hard to get into my ceiling space though.

I wonder if the up firing speakers are any good

yes was impressed too, re hard to get into ceiling space ...you are not alone...I have the same challenge...cant get it my ceiling space...ie no ways to access being between ground floor and rooms above. but there are always ways around ... 

am not convinced in the upward firing....I dare say they were a bit of an initial proposed alternative for those totally against making holes in the ceiling and providing some alternative....

I will definitely investigate Atmos further. I had a demo. At The Cable Connection and was impressed.

When I update my receiver I will look at a 7.2.4 system.

definitely if get the chance do check out the audio trends marantz/mk atmos system with the atmos demo disc. do make sure to sit front row centre seat though ...as for that room is really the sweet spot. 

• Like 1

I feel the need for more speakers too.

So far I am starting here and working backwards towards sanity. Four of these for 5.1.4.

Krix KX-1152 Atmos Speakers

1152.1405664317.jpg

wow ! be sure to check out village crown in that case...they went with 73 ! krix speakers in their cinema :O

http://www.krix.com.au/blog/Village-Crown-choose-Krix-for-Dolby-Atmos

Watching. Will improve my 2.0.0 setup one day...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :cool:

Interested in speaker choices for sure. Would like to end up with a modest 5.2.4 eventually.

hehe nothing at all wrong with 2.0.0 :)

I run a 2.0 system still for my bedroom setup well 2.1 actually but yeah even in my main room 2ch is 2.1 but yes there is an attraction still for ht/av for speakers in the mix :D

but I have a lot more to work out first. I am firstly very keen to see what dts-x turns out to be ...little apprehensive to jump in too deep to only find what I might put in might not suit all the 3D audio formats.

Mayby the cheapest start is a 5.1.2 set up , with upfiring speakers?

http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/image/upload/c_limit,h_900,w_1200/q5b0qkz4dg2zjzirs9ou.jpg

This would at least allow you to compare dts-x with atmos.

And could give you an idea if upfiring speakers will be efficient and effective enough to create the sound you desire.

Then with an additional set of upfiring speakers you might not even need ceiling speakers at all ??

This is where I would start anyway.

Mayby the cheapest start is a 5.1.2 set up , with upfiring speakers?

http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/image/upload/c_limit,h_900,w_1200/q5b0qkz4dg2zjzirs9ou.jpg

This would at least allow you to compare dts-x with atmos.

And could give you an idea if upfiring speakers will be efficient and effective enough to create the sound you desire.

Then with an additional set of upfiring speakers you might not even need ceiling speakers at all ??

This is where I would start anyway.

am sure a start for many, am not sure or convinced with upward firing speakers though relying on their reflected sound, I see too many compromises and dont see how relates to ceiling mounted setup.

but certainly look forward to reading how you find it if end up going that way :)

am sure a start for many, am not sure or convinced with upward firing speakers though relying on their reflected sound, I see too many compromises and dont see how relates to ceiling mounted setup.

but certainly look forward to reading how you find it if end up going that way :)

Fair enough.

I share those concerns but cant dismiss them without hearing them first.

Also for people like me that rent, ceiling speakers is not an option.

So no other choice then to accept those compromises.

Probably will be a couple of years away before I can test that out for myself, and by that time I reckon

that there will be a larger amount of availability of that type of speaker.

Atmos is stil 'young' and I'm sure upgrade modules for existing speakers will become more common over time.

I've prewired for four ceiling speakers (just with speaker cable which is sitting ready in the narrow ceiling space, and terminates at my main component area at the back of the man cave). With an Integra DHC80.3 which i plan to use for the next few years, and still awaiting installation of subwoofers and side/rear surrounds, I'm a few years off Atmos/Auro 3D at this stage. Glad my AV subcontractor suggested pre-wiring though, as was cheap and would have been almost impossible to retro fit.  

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 1

I've prewired for four ceiling speakers (just with speaker cable which is sitting ready in the narrow ceiling space, and terminates at my main component area at the back of the man cave). With an Integra DHC80.3 which i plan to use for the next few years, and still awaiting installation of subwoofers and side/rear surrounds, I'm a few years off Atmos/Auro 3D at this stage. Glad my AV subcontractor suggested pre-wiring though, as was cheap and would have been almost impossible to retro fit.  

too true...well suggested by the av contractor...12 years ago when we built had no thought or idea would ever be running ceiling speakers....lot harder now...atleast have some photos at frame stage showing pvc pipes etc running in the ceiling space ...to give me a bit of an idea on what am working with/around 

Hi Al I have been running atmos setup for about three months now - it definitely the way to go it's set up as a 5.1.4 Using Martin Logan in ceiling speakers . I certainly won't be going back

great to hear warren, would love to see some pics of how have got the in ceilings located ...just to show positioning. what were the dilemmas you went through with setting up for atmos ?

one of the difficulties am going through myself is I could easily put in as many as 7 in ceiling speakers...and the marantz would support it ...but thinking also might be best to just stick with 4 in ceilings :)

love to hear your thoughts. how have you found atmos movies so far :)

Al I tried of waiting for the intergra unit and bought the Yamaha 3077 . My room is 6.5 by 5.5, I found the 4 in ceilings plenty and believe you would need a really large room to warrant more . The Martin Logan's are directional , I have two directly above inline with the seating position about a quater the way in from each side wall and two about 2m further forward - I based this an an extensive article written by Dolby labs - I will try get pics for you next week - one issue I did have is I was using an oppo 83se - I can't remember the term but earlier blurry player had a problem with Dolby true had when it was placed on the disc in a certain way - easy fix new Sony player

• Like 2

Al I tried of waiting for the intergra unit and bought the Yamaha 3077 . My room is 6.5 by 5.5, I found the 4 in ceilings plenty and believe you would need a really large room to warrant more . The Martin Logan's are directional , I have two directly above inline with the seating position about a quater the way in from each side wall and two about 2m further forward - I based this an an extensive article written by Dolby labs - I will try get pics for you next week - one issue I did have is I was using an oppo 83se - I can't remember the term but earlier blurry player had a problem with Dolby true had when it was placed on the disc in a certain way - easy fix new Sony player

hi warren thats pretty much my room size, appreciate the note back and look forward to the pics :)

too true...well suggested by the av contractor...12 years ago when we built had no thought or idea would ever be running ceiling speakers....lot harder now...atleast have some photos at frame stage showing pvc pipes etc running in the ceiling space ...to give me a bit of an idea on what am working with/around

Al, hindsight is a wonderful thing but why didn't you do it when you replaced the carpet and freshly painted the room

• Like 1

Al, hindsight is a wonderful thing but why didn't you do it when you replaced the carpet and freshly painted the room

ah the 20:20 vision of hindsight...

...it was infact a fleeting thought when I was doing our renovation...and you are right would have been ideal time but stayed only as a very fleeting thought...

...at the time atmos was not really front of mind ... and system sounding fantastic not given it 2nd thought.

its only of late having experienced atmos that has come to front of mind :) that has me now considering the options !  :)

• 2 weeks later...

thinking about things...I think given have a couple of spare channels on the elektra multichannel amp...to give Atmos a go...I think will likely go for a couple of atmos channels to start with ...to test the waters ...

probably go with TOP Front L&R i.e. a 7.1.2 setup...

7.1-atmos-speaker-setup.jpg

seems a good way to dip toe in the water :)

only a couple of in ceiling surrounds required...not too many holes in the ceiling...

still some challenges in running cables ...and plus with DTS-X announcements, and the auro update to unify speaker locations with atmos still forth coming ... not jumping deep or too quickly just yet :D  

JkSpinner;

The 5th centrally located ceiling speaker is an Auro-3D requirement called VOG or "voice of god".

As such a placement doesn't feature in either Dolby Atmos or the proposed DTS:X standards, I'd suggest you can probably go without if installation or cost prove prohibitive.

Edited by Lil Caesar