Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

There’s a fellow in Canberra, Bill at the factory he worked on my AU 719 did an excellent job and has a good reputation from others however I have no idea if he’d be familiar with the mods you’re talking about, techs are getting hard to find everywhere nowadays. 

http://www.thefactoryaudio.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Good luck...

Seems a reputable audio technician with time on their hands to do a quality job is hard to find these days here in Melbourne...

Well, unless the customers are prepared to pay the $100 an hour it costs to maintain a workshop, it ain't gonna happen!

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

Well, unless the customers are prepared to pay the $100 an hour it costs to maintain a workshop, it ain't gonna happen!

So do you know of any techs currently in the Melbourne area that charge a $100 @n hour  for working/repairing and modding hi-fi units!?

28 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

So do you know of any techs currently in the Melbourne area that charge a $100 @n hour  for working/repairing and modding hi-fi units!?

No...........but I wouldn't do it for any less.

I think VW are now charging $150 per hour for mechanics that are now called technicians.................and computer maintenance people (that just pull drawers from racks and insert new ones and hope they work) are called engineers.

What's next?

The Australian Flag is offensive?

9 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

No...........but I wouldn't do it for any less.

I think VW are now charging $150 per hour for mechanics that are now called technicians.................and computer maintenance people (that just pull drawers from racks and insert new ones and hope they work) are called engineers.

What's next?

The Australian Flag is offensive?

Well good luck to you sir...and keep that flag flying...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My trusty AU-3900 has started crackling/fuzzing on the left hand channel. Sad times!  I'm not really electronically inclined, so does anyone know of any good hifi repair people to have a look at my Sansui around the Coffs Harbour area? Or even Sydney or Brisbane?

6 hours ago, pappa_g said:

My trusty AU-3900 has started crackling/fuzzing on the left hand channel. Sad times!  I'm not really electronically inclined, so does anyone know of any good hifi repair people to have a look at my Sansui around the Coffs Harbour area? Or even Sydney or Brisbane?

PM @skippy124 

He may put you in touch with Ben that lives on the NSW side of the border 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A mate offered to sell me his recently serviced and fully working Sansui P-L75 automatic linear tracking arm turntable, which I'm seriously considering; however, I can't seem to find any reliable reviews about this turntable online.

Wondering if anyone in this group has ever heard or knows anything about it?

The programmability of this deck is an appealing feature (including repeat mode) but not sure if it sounds as good as it's specs suggest?

Thanks heaps for any insights.

Specs look OK, but it is a light weight plastic thing with a light weight platter.

Haven't heard one so can't help on that front.

Specifications

Type: direct drive turntable

Speeds: 33 and 45rpm

Platter: 306mm, 0.75kg aluminium alloy diecast

Motor: coreless and brushless DC/FG servo

Wow and flutter: 0.035% wrms

Signal to noise ratio: 72dB

Effective length: 140mm

Dimensions: 430 x 95 x 374mm

Weight: 5.6kg

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sansui/p-l75.shtml

Edit: they don't sell for much.

Might sound OK, linear tracing has It's fans.

Edited by muon*

Thanks heaps for the feedback. Given the popularity of Sansui gear it is somewhat surprising that there is so little information (i.e., reviews) regarding this turntable. Guess that probably says everything I want/need to know about it.

2 hours ago, Fenda said:

Is the Sansui AU-X911DG pretty rare? Hardly ever see one for sale

Not sure if they're rare but I've got one.

I haven't seen too many for sale either, like most Sansui gear when people get some they usually hold on to it 

3 hours ago, Fenda said:

I found one years ago but passed on it because they didn't have the remote control, my mistake

I used to follow the Sansui gear on eBay and would see a few up for sale off and on they're around just less nowadays and getting pretty expensive by the look of it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165233478043?hash=item2678aec99b:g:XZAAAOSwnShhuM6J&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoLmWC2m5Fq7njKOSr1vE2DMyBOrld5YOutLA4vbHD5lblPaBBz4sucN%2FKVI%2FicQS0f024BGk5VFXda5IZV3bbPDJlBB%2BaRobl33%2B8yMIJR%2FGiCvpuA4ToRNVnV7dOXT%2Btlay6W%2FGWSezDzAqMpJQ0zBbiFLf1vjnPa2cvRspzHPXvP%2BnMYN085k8pIarhHBWRZmzNQHA6HIQCqZ1hAVUfRQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4rq0b-MYQ

On 26/11/2021 at 2:58 PM, Rubbertoe81 said:

Latest addition to my Sansui family…
The elusive AU777A had been on my wantlist for quite a while.
This arrived from the U.S. a couple of weeks ago in 'non working condition' and looking rather unloved..
A couple of small signal transistors had completely perished and some were noisy in the phono stage so I went through and replaced all of them, along with the blown supply fuse also.
It received a thorough cleaning inside and out, along with a deep clean and lube of all pots and switches.
I also stripped the tired looking lid back to bare metal and re-finished in charcoal hammer coat paint which looks very close to the original finish.
This 51 year old beauty is now looking and performing like new again, very satisfied!

05672E12-A89C-4A50-B4E6-ADFD91814EA5.jpeg

B69FC9B4-2F54-48DA-9627-A5A666481F6B.jpeg

326D0A13-2ED1-4577-8A16-BB10DBFD0CAB.jpeg

48AD3583-C9FA-49A4-82C0-F08C5A60A6B0.jpeg

what a stunning beauty !

• Love 1

Hi all

after some advice have a Sansui AU 907L and on one side wooden veneer is starting to peel away, is there anywhere I could purchase replacement veneer or a new cheek? Would anyone have a recommendation for a repairer in Adelaide or melbourne who is good with Sansui amps? Ive lost one channel when using Phono but would like to get full service on unit ready for next decade...

Cheers

Waz

Hi @Wazza007 I had deterioration issues with the wood cheek sides to my Sansui Alpha...I replaced them with bespoke birds-eye maple cheeks...as close as possible I could get to the original colour.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-alpha-707mr.866761/page-2#post-12853211

I'm not sure you can purchase similar cheeks unless they come up as spare parts, listed for sale, either on Ebay or back in Japan.

Replacement veneer is a possibility just a question of getting the right coloured veneer, or close enough! It can be done by re-veneering the original wood cheeks @pete_mac has done it and recorded his process on a Sansui AK forum thread...but for the life of me I cannot find the link!

Maybe pete can pop in and help out with the link!

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 1

@BLAH BLAH thanks for the info, those cheeks you had made look great! I might have to consider this as an option, I also remember a link I read where Pete Mac replaced the veneer. Hopefully we can dig up the link. Otherwise keeping eye out for second hand cheeks. Do you have a recommendation for servicing/repairs in Melbourne doesnt seem to be anyone in Adelaide, happy to deliver to Melb.

Cheers

Waz

Edited by Wazza007

21 minutes ago, Wazza007 said:

@BLAH BLAH thanks for the info, those cheeks you had made look great! I might have to consider this as an option, I also remember a link I read where Pete Mac replaced the veneer. Hopefully we can dig up the link. Otherwise keeping eye out for second hand cheeks. Do you have a recommendation for servicing/repairs in Melbourne doesnt seem to be anyone in Adelaide, happy to deliver to Melb.

Cheers

Waz

Veneer is not a hard task if you use a pre glued product 

What is harder is the prep of the side cheeks 

Do precise cuts of the veneer with a Stanley knife and metal ruler position and run a standard clothes iron over it to melt the glue and the job is done 

I’m sure there are YouTube instructions on the application 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Full Range said:

Veneer is not a hard task if you use a pre glued product 

What is harder is the prep of the side cheeks 

Do precise cuts of the veneer with a Stanley knife and metal ruler position and run a standard clothes iron over it to melt the glue and the job is done 

I’m sure there are YouTube instructions on the application 

@Full Range Thanks I found a good utube on applying the veneer, just need to source the veneer now.

Cheers

• Like 2