Sansui Amps Owners & Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

Why try to make something that was never released by Sansui?

That's a good question! They've applied the same gold 'limited edition' theme to the JBLs too. I would suggest that each item would probably be worth less after being modded in this way, particularly to a genuine collector.

He has others too - here's a G-33000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReNol3Xdtds

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1

Well, I seem to have run out of Alpha series Sansui amps (Sniffle!) but my Sansui adventure is not yet over.  It could have been, probably should have been, but since I'm still having fun I don't want it to be.  So, let's just change direction a little and take a look at the most recent addition to the Cafad auditorium.

IMG_0969.thumb.JPG.78e3e7f601ff3c3cb7af2b8ef3de369e.JPGIMG_0970.thumb.JPG.ea988ea8606612f450d4fef3f432f6ee.JPGIMG_0971.thumb.JPG.4b9ac057225947cce7c21d2bca45682d.JPG

Yep, I've gone the "Full Sansui".  Sansui source, Sansui amp, Sansui speakers (with Sansui speaker cables).  If only I could find a pair of Sansui interconnects I'd have them as well (but I can't, and while it does irk me I'll just have to find a way to move forward).

So that's one Alpha 907 cd player, Alpha 907 Extra amp and SP-300S stand mount speakers.  

Mmmmmmm, sooooooo muuuuuuch Sansui.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

Holy smokes! Those speakers look pretty! How do they sound?

They're working for me.  Lighter in tone than my Lenehan S2Rs are and they have a more airy, less focused top end but they're still pleasant to listen to.  They don't have the smooth, creamy bass that I'm used to either but that Sansui rhythm is coming across well none the less.  I'm certainly enjoying the music.  I'll give them some time to grow on me, they've only been with me for about 4 hours.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snapper() said:

There is always Sansui headphones to review .. seemed to work ok for ABBA

Let's stick with speakers for now shall we, I mean I don't know where I'll end up but I don't think I'll be going down the headphone route in the near future.  Maybe the far future, but not the near.

1 hour ago, Cafad said:

Well, I seem to have run out of Alpha series Sansui amps (Sniffle!) but my Sansui adventure is not yet over.  It could have been, probably should have been, but since I'm still having fun I don't want it to be.  So, let's just change direction a little and take a look at the most recent addition to the Cafad auditorium.

Yep, I've gone the "Full Sansui".  Sansui source, Sansui amp, Sansui speakers (with Sansui speaker cables).  If only I could find a pair of Sansui interconnects I'd have them as well (but I can't, and while it does irk me I'll just have to find a way to move forward).

So that's one Alpha 907 cd player, Alpha 907 Extra amp and SP-300S stand mount speakers.  

Mmmmmmm, sooooooo muuuuuuch Sansui.

They finally arrived ? ? ? ? ...

Great stuff mate, and they look superb :D

23 hours ago, huxmut said:

They finally arrived ? ? ? ? ...

Great stuff mate, and they look superb :D

They do indeed.  Their sound however, well... let's just say I've refined my opinion as I come down from my "new gear enthusiasm" high.

With the original speaker cables (not sure on their thickness, I'd guess at just a touch thicker than your average interconnect wire) they sounded pretty good on slow songs, particularly ones with soft female vocals.  However drums and powered bass were weak and soft.  I discovered that the second set of speaker cables I had (which I bought separately for the speakers that are still with Kuboten since they stopped communicating with me before they could be sent) were about 60% thicker than the ones that came with the speakers.  I had no idea these things came in different thicknesses, but that's not important.  So I swapped them out and suddenly I had decent bass, not great bass but reasonable bass.  The 907 cd player is also known to sound a bit airy and hashy (or at least mine is, I suspect it needs a little TLC) so I swapped it out for the 917XR. 

Now I had smoother sound that wasn't as messy and airy in the top end, female vocals were still the stand out performer.  Smaller drums and multiple instruments still were a bit hashy, messy and mixed up though.  They still carried a sound that was enticing but they were so much better at slower, softer music than they were with anything faster than mid-rock.

So, out with the still rather thin speaker cable and in with a frankencable.  I used the mega-thick Redgum cables for the positive and negative and a length of separate copper for the ground connection.  Yes, these speakers have a ground wire, odd but in an interesting way.  Now I had bass!!!!!  And punch too.  But the vocals suffered so that wasn't a perfect solution.  Out come the Redgums and in went the Aurealis UP620s, now I had both bass and vocals, and more of a calm presentation.  Excellent!  

So now I've got a pair of speakers I could enjoy, but I'm afraid they aren't up to the standard of my Lenehan S2Rs.  I might have a try at pulling the back off one this weekend, just to see what I can see.  Maybe there's something inside that could stand to be replaced or upgraded.  I may also give my mate Geoff at Aurealis a call, I'm sure he could whip up a custom speaker cable for me.  I'm sure there's an even better performance in these 300S stand mounts somewhere, I just have to find it.

• Like 1

No no. Its fine. I bought a run out model from the bottom end of their AV receiver line quite deliberately. But I wish I had the dollars to have grabbed a better model.

My old Yamaha rxv1800 finally succumbed to age. It was a bit of a tank, and the amp side is fine. The silly electronic brain has dementia and I've had to retire her :(  

But what to do with 12kg of demented av amp ?

My second Sansui speaker purchase arrived 2 days after the first.  The 100i stand mounts are more preferable speakers than the 300S, certainly in the bass.  They do however share that nice mid range presentation of female vocals, soft piano and woodwinds.  In many ways these 100i's sound very much like an 80's version of my S2Rs.  More treble energy so more air, more click, clack and tap (bigger hair, larger sweat bands, brighter fluro leg warmers, the whole deal) and some echo on mechanical sounds such as gears clicking as they turn.

So simply put, not as solid as the S2Rs but with massive great gobs of nostalgia thrown in to make up for it.

These I'm pretty sure I could live with long term.

IMG_0972.thumb.JPG.15112ce0feefabc3208e6880bc4c47e8.JPGIMG_0973.thumb.JPG.a777b378de9d8210170e3e0f9428fcf1.JPG

They don't present as well, both 100i speakers have gathered more than a hand full of smears and marks over the years but all are superficial and only affect the finish.  Definitely worth the 17,928 yen.

• Like 2

Here's an ultra-minty pair of the SP100i... the asking price is certainly up there though! 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-SP-100i-exklusive-Vintage-Raritat-High-End-Lautsprecher-Traum-Zustand/264204868990?hash=item3d83d65d7e:g:ugYAAOSwG-xb8-4m:rk:1:pf:0

I've always been pretty harsh on Sansui re: its speakers to date, but this model looks the goods.

Edited by pete_mac

1 hour ago, pete_mac said:

Here's an ultra-minty pair of the SP100i... the asking price is certainly up there though! 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-SP-100i-exklusive-Vintage-Raritat-High-End-Lautsprecher-Traum-Zustand/264204868990?hash=item3d83d65d7e:g:ugYAAOSwG-xb8-4m:rk:1:pf:0

I've always been pretty harsh on Sansui re: its speakers to date, but this model looks the goods.

Yeah, ebay has really turned into a place where amazingly high prices are asked for things that may only be even slightly rare now.  You have to really look for the bargains these days.

These are pretty good speakers, the 100i, I think Sansui could have been onto something if they'd used a similar design with mdf or ply instead of chipboard.  The idea of sitting the drivers on a mount other than the front panel is a solid one.

Their sound is growing on me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, huxmut said:

That ebay listing price is eye watering :(

I lile Cafads price much more.

Although I suspect the shipping costs narrowed the gap a little :)

Yes but my final at-my-door price still came out at less than 1/6th of that ebay price.

• Like 1

Now this is interesting.  The interior of the SP-300S is very similar in construction to the 100i, I suspected it might be but could find nothing on the internals on the net.  The tweeter is mounted on a cross member that is joined to the top of the box and the woofer is mounted on a pine frame that is both wedged and glued to the sides of the box, no drivers mounted on the front of the speaker.  And the crossover components mounted on each side, there's an electrolytic in both of them so I'll definitely look at replacing those but the rest of the speaker looks damn near perfect.

IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.4c5cd7ca1d07224a82af64633ed3e2fa.JPGIMG_0975.thumb.JPG.4d26871d52bd276a50d6e849e6842462.JPG

Check out that lining.  And that white stuffing on the back plate has a round piece of wood under it positioned so that it presses against the inductors of each crossover component.  Very nice resonance reduction.  The ground plug has two sires attached to it, one from a mounting point of the woofer and one that seems to come from the back of the case on the tweeter (I can't actually see it as it goes through the piece of wood behind that square of stuffing).

I think a big part of my not liking the sound is the thin speaker wires.  I'll have to give them another run today with a different amp and see if my opinion improves.  Until then the 100i's will remain on duty.

Edit:  Hang on, those electrolytic caps are Elna symics.  Probably no need to replace them then as those things seem to last forever.

Edit again:  My mistake, they aren't Elna symic caps, just the same colour caps with the same colour writing on them as Elna symic caps.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 2