Australian Power Cables

Voodoo Vector cables @@Randle - they are the ones you want for sources. The ultrawave are great for power amps and conditioners.

A very good point.

One of the good selling points of the Voodoo range of cables is that they produce and suggest different cables for different components instead of a one-size-fits-all approach and some of their mid range power cords are outstanding.

It really comes back to what you wish to connect and how good that component may be. If I were to venture above the price and performance level of the AP signature, the mid range Voodoo cords would be an easy choice IMO.

I'm on the same journey to find out which cables are good sound value.

I agree with Darren 69; lets find out where the value is in the market, then let's look at how they comply. I am inclined to believe that an Aussie tech is more trust worthy than the manufacturer of the $2 cables that come with our latest purchases.

So let us put legalities behind us until we get a list of GOOD POWER CABLES.  

I like my RK Cable 2.5's but I haven't tried anything else in my system.

They have the Clipsal plugs on them but was thinking of trying other cables as well or maybe even some Furutech plugs from Cam.

Power supply and vibration isolation are probably the only things left to try out, for me.

Edited by Darren69

I am a "cable guy" and have heard the differences cables make.

But I would like to relate an experiment a friend and i did with Kt120 valve mono blocks driving reasonably efficient floor standers and we swapped in and out $150 and $900 power cables and both of us couldn't pick any discernible differences. And I wonder if a power cable feeding an amp that is probably idling at 30%, if there is a difference to be heard.

However, where we did hear differences was when we switched interconnects in and out of the CD player. Prices varied between $100 and $800 and the differences were very evident.

But back to power cables, I think there is a difference between the standard kettle cord and the $250 power cable, but any more dollars than that differences in my experience are more likely found with cable swaps on the source components and harder for me to hear on amps.

• Like 2

Testing and tagging is NOT the same as certification. I hope that RK's statements are based upon separate certification/approval, with the subsequent test and tag simply confirming that the item is electrically safe.

The testing is done by a license electrician with the license number of the electrician on the tag. 

Within the context, I am sure it is about compliance and safety.

The testing is done by a license electrician with the license number of the electrician on the tag. 

Within the context, I am sure it is about compliance and safety.

The thing is, compliance and certification is a completely different thing to testing and tagging. Your item needs to be compliant/certified before the latter is even relevant. Testing and tagging does not constitute compliance or certification.

• Like 1

From RK Cable's website:

It would seem that their cables are tested for compliance.

Also all cables are made in australia  comply to Australian standards and also are tested  to AS/NZS 3760:2003 ,  and  they are tagged and  indivdually numbered . 

please  see photos below .

From RK Cable's website:

That's fine.

Did anybody actually suggest that they were not compliant?

Also, the subject of testing and compliance IS relevant to cable quality and integrity. A component thereof perhaps, but one not to be ignored.

• Like 1

Excellent. Now we have that sorted I'm looking forward to seeing some cable reviews. I might put an order in fora couple over the weekend. Not sure I've got any interest for a meet / compare in Melbourne

Same here, a whole page of off-topic (as mentioned by the OP, it's his thread after all) banter.

Hopefully it can be put to rest, or carried on in the other pre-existing thread, and we can start to see some actual user reviews and opinions, or the organisation of a Power Cable Shootout GTG :) :)

• Like 1

From RK Cable's website:

Also all cables are made in australia comply to Australian standards and also are tested to AS/NZS 3760:2003 , and they are tagged and indivdually numbered .

please see photos below .

I agree and it is to RK Cable's credit that they do make sure every

cable is compliant.

The above standard is the 'testing and tagging' standard only - it shows that the cable has been tested and tagged properly, but does mean that it complies with the relevant standards. They are two different things.

That said, RK could probably clarify the matter better on their website. The Clipsal plugs are compliant, and if the cable is compliant, then it may be a different kettle of fish altogether. :)

Anyhow, that's the last that you'll hear from the Cable Police in this thread. There's a granny down the street who needs her kitten rescued from a tree <grabs cape>

I'm damn keen to try the Audio Principe cable some day. Incredible value for money given the quality of the components used! I'm looking forward to hearing some further impressions on this cable in particular.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1

A winning combination is AP signature cables plugged into an Isotek Polaris  power board. Works far better than the Isotek premier power cable and better than the RK cable as well

What were the benefits you remember over the r.k. and the Isotek?

What were the benefits you remember over the r.k. and the Isotek?

The RK did not seem to make any difference over the standard cords in my system and the Isotek Premier seemed to suck the dynamics and life from the music. With the AP signature it was somewhat like demisting a windscreen in a car and in combination with the Polaris that effect was more of the same.  It just made the music more intelligible and coherent, but equally as important, it didn't add anything of its own nor did it act like a tone control.

• Like 1