Australian Power Cables

Don't know if already mentioned. PSC (pure silver connection) is an Australian company sells mainly to South Korea and Germany. High grade silver cables very refined and smooth sounding power cables. Under rated I think

• Like 1

He likes to build the anticipation. :)

Am deciding to stick with RK Cables for now, with Clipsal plugs. I like how robust the cords and plugs are and they sound very nice and clear.

As far as I know, Voodoo only go to 8ft, which is also doesn't work for what I want to do.

Edited by Darren69

Great thread guys! In fact just received delivery of an Audio Principe Premium power cable today.

They are really well made and being super flexible is a boon. First impressions in my Oppo HA-1 are very promising indeed.

IMG_2140_zpsoaff28my.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Mr Thorens

Here is my "review" of another AU power cord that was kindly leant to me by another SNA member.

Studio connections Carbon Screen Power Cord

The Studio Connections doesn't lay claim to be a much more expensive super cable and utilises a standard Schurter 4762 IEC and a Martin Kaiser AU wall plug, but it does employ what appears to be a good idea of having a ground shield wire that looks like a silver stripe wound around a semi conductive carbon insulation, visible from be transparent outer sheath. The idea being that not only is mains noise taken to ground, some of it is also taken out as heat through the carbon conductive insulation. I'm no expert in these matters however the proof will be in the listening.

And the listening did show a very good filtering effect and a low noise floor. Equal if not better to other power cords I've tried on my CDP. I thought I would share some of its other virtues.

If I was to give it only a few words to sum up - I would say smooth, quiet and neutral.

Overall the cable is quiet, neutral, reasonably extended at the top, clean and smooth without being slow and spacious without being exaggerated or aggressive. I could easily listen to the CDP all day with this cable and not be bored or fatigued. All good all rounder and definitely improves the sound of my CDP compared to stock cable. However I would have liked a bit more dynamics and image precision. But that's against the highly transparent and dynamic Acrolink reference. In my setup I would rank it ahead of the Furutech FP-314AG as it is more tonally neutral where the Furutech provides additional warmth and sacrifices the top end to a degree.

I found it offered a reasonably good soundstage on acoustic and jazz material as well as guitar oriented rock. Tonally it seems to be well balanced. Neither too warm or too bright. A natural sense of depth not being too forward or too laid back. The highs were perhaps a tad recessed but this was perhaps part of the overall quietness and smoothness. Not a hint of glare or grit.

Detail retrieval is pretty good, however I would have liked a bit more precision in the image and perhaps more micro dynamics. An example that I use to identify this is Oscar Peterson. On less revealing systems and cables it isn't as noticeable that there is a voice humming with the piano in the background, and where that voice is coming from. The Studio Connections cable identified it for me that it existed. The Acrolink reference revealed where it was in the room and who was doing it, including some of the breathing along with it.

I detected a very slight touch of warmth that was nice with piano and vocals on vintage jazz. Otherwise I found it to be quite neutral tonality. Smooth, not edgy. Engaging and honest rather than in your face exciting. Good sense of space and realism. Clean, calm and quiet with a vastly reduced noise floor compared to stock cable.

Bass depth is a bit less than my reference which is known for its slam and ability to pull the bass line out of the mix. And scale is also a bit less than my reference. But you need to do a side by side comparison for this to be more apparent.

Dynamics are good, smooth and pleasant without being overly aggressive or fast. It doesn't quite have the transient speed or scale of the reference but has sufficient dynamics and detail is intact enough without attempting to overly highlight faults in the source recording.

Note: My starting reference is the Acrolink 7N-P4020III That's a cable that has massive scale, power and dynamics as well as subtle detail retrieval and highly revealing transparency. Its an uncommon combination that works well for me, however can be unforgiving and fast, so isn't for everyone's system. The system needs to be highly transparent for the Acrolink to do its best.

Testing Method
Same as my previous post. However, this time each cable was plugged into the Isotek Polaris powerboard to see the overall impact on my system. To help with the testing I replaced the tested cable with the black plastic one for a full play through between trying different cords.

Powerboard with Standard Cable
Slightly withdrawn sound stage. Less vertical height. Flatter, overall less life. Seemed like I could hear some high notes with louder reverb than I could hear with others, yet the length the reverb went for was shorter and thus contributed to the flatness. The speed also seemed to increase connected with this. But the bass was flabby.

Powerboard with Audio Principe Premium
Similar to the Signature. Compared to the standard it had a rounder sound. Much wider sound stage,  but not quite as forward. More precision in notes. Conveyed accuracy. Nice balance to sound. Reduced brightness. Solid precise bass. Strong mid range, yet felt like it could have more life and emotion in there. Good separation of instruments.

In my previous review I found that it took away some brightness and harshness in the Bakoon (high).  I'm not sure why the Bakoon was affected as it isolates power. I think it could be a reflection that power cables are particularly obvious on how they contribute in the high notes and how this impacts sound stage? I'm less sensitive to changes in bass.

Powerboard with Audio Principe Signature
Sound stage more forward. More vertical height. More dynamic (less flat). Less reverb, but it went for longer which added body. Less speed which was a good thing (the standard felt like it just wanted to get the music over and done with).

Compared to the Premium it feels like it is more forward and has greater depth. Performer is now more present. Greater refinement of individual sounds. Mid range has slightly more life. Slight narrowing of the sound stage in a good way. Bass is more precise.

Compared to the Studio Connections the sound stage was wider and a little more forward, but there was less toe tapping, chest hitting musicality.

Powerboard with Thoroughbred
Harshness in high notes reduced. Background noises are louder. Music is vertically higher, but sound stage depth is less and music less forward. Poor artist was pinned up high on the back wall. High notes now have more precision. Width decreased. Nice musicality.
I wanted to like it less since it was almost the cheapest, but the reality is I liked it and it is a very good value proposition and more lively than the Principe Premium but further away. Note: I found the Principe Premium was able to reduce noise more and provided a cleaner sound when plugged into the Bakoon.

Powerboard with Isotek Evo3 Premium
Who doesn't like bashing the big guy? It's the Australian way! It probably sounds no better than the standard. I even found the cable fits less snugly into components. Now that I've written this without listening and with Isotek in my cross-hairs,  let me listen to it :-P

Cleaner sound and precise in mid/high. Not as harsh in high. Great dynamics but not as musical as I would like. Bass could be tighter. Not particularly wide sound stage. Neutral sound stage (not too recessed, but could be further forward).

Powerboard with Studio Connections (same as reviewed by Mr Thorens except mine is 1m long).
Vertical height heaps better. Not as wide. More dynamics to music. Got my foot tapping in a way it didn't with any other cable. Musicality was brilliant. Every note was lighter. Cleaner sound. Bass tighter and stronger. Could feel it hitting me harder. Gave a window into next level power cords. Accentuated high notes.

Standard Powerboard (no special cables)
Softer sound,  less precise. Artist position is higher and not as easy to locate.
Bass extra flabby (that fat is really wobbling!). High notes less involving. Neutral sound stage if a little bit recessed compared to Polaris. Some highs are harsh. It is like someone is doing the robot dance to the music or a hack trying to copy the pro and missing the idea that music is more than just mechanically hitting the right note. More tiring to listen to.

Conclusions
Was the power cables experiment a worthwhile experiment? Definitely! I hadn't realised how some components could be so dramatically impacted by a poor cable. Even components that had invested significant amounts in refining the supply of power (Bakoon!). They achieved some things that tone controls don't and some things they could. A good power board was also essential to the end result (I've not got the cash to compare power boards!). Having said this I still love my system running black plastic cables and cheap power boards. 

My two favourite power cords also happened to be the most expensive. Figures. Both the Studio Connections and Principe Signature contribute differently. Principe Premium would definitely get my pick for best bargain (the Principe Signature is also a bargain with Furutech ends but double the price). The Isotek and Thoroughbred deliver the goods, but just not as much.

My advice to the uninitiated. Don't spend too much! Like your system before going to power cables. Deal with all your system hum first and make sure you have a revealing system. Then buy a good power board that reduces RFI and crosstalk. Buy a good cable to feed this (second hand if possible). Then use the good cable into each of your components to experiment where it will have the greatest impact and whether the impact is worth it. Note what effect it has in comparison to the standard. Also note what it does powering the board (if possible).
If you find you don't need it for components you're done. Either sell it or use it in one place (likely the powerboard).
If you want more then buy one more cable and try it where it will make the most difference. Different cables can bring more of the same thing to the table or sometimes something a little different. Most of the ones I tried seemed to reduce sibilant highs and tighten bass. Most also modified the sound stage.

Now I need to figure out from the ones I'm keeping where I place them for the long term. For now I've got the studio connections into Isotek 1, Principe Signature into system control. Principe Premium to Isotek 2. Isotek to Luxman (mid). Principe Premium to Bakoon (high). Thoroughbred to Vincent (bass). The rest are standard. The result? Beautiful refinement and sound stage. Very happy. I know there is probably more. I'm just not prepared to spend that money. Would rather it go to a component.

Hope this is helpful. My wife will be glad not to hear the same songs for a while. Personally I've listened to it so much it has become a good friend (you know how annoying people grow on you). Just one man's ears finding that place of audio bliss!
  • Like 14

Just if anyone is interested, I have purchased an extra Studio Connections (SC) power cable with AU plugs. It was originally intended to be used for a component that I planned to purchase. That plan has now been "postponed".

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/Power.htm

So if any one is interested in borrowing the SC power cable to try out, please let me know. PM to discuss.

• 2 months later...

Just if anyone is interested, I have purchased an extra Studio Connections (SC) power cable with AU plugs. It was originally intended to be used for a component that I planned to purchase. That plan has now been "postponed".

http://www.studioconnections.co.uk/Power.htm

So if any one is interested in borrowing the SC power cable to try out, please let me know. PM to discuss.

Just so you are aware, there are a few enquiries on this cable. So I have put together a group buy request to the manufacturer. Please pm me if you are interested to join in.

Edited by coeuslee

I can vouch for the quality build & sound of Audio Principe power cables

Got my Premium cables last Friday, BIG improvement over my Xindak power cables!

Must be the better Australian quality

Combined with Retro Thermionic RF/EMI blockers, they are a great match!

I have an RK cord. It's better than average but it's in the cupbord....... The Voodoo cords are very good. A Gold Dragon goes into a phono pre. A Black Dragon goes into my second system amp. They do seem to turbo charge amps. The Benchmark that @@Darren69 bought from me, I was using a Kubala-Sosna Elation. The RK won't get the performance out of a DAC that the K-S does.Cameron's Krispy cord is fantastic value. I use one to the conditioner. Buy 2nd hand & get something that you would never have been able to afford otherwise. They can make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Very interesting Mike, thanks for sharing.

I just think that your digital gear should get the best cord you can afford. Wasn't having a shot Daz but I've heard the difference.

The K-S cord cost me as much as the Benchmark DAC. Stupid, I know. Both 2nd hand. I kept the cord but not the DAC.

Edited by mikey d
  • Like 1

I didn't think you were having a shot Digger, haha.

I found it interesting that you are favouring certain cords for certain components, though it isn't the first time I have read this here.

The Voodoo's currently in the classifieds are interesting. Ones long enough to get to my mono's were quite expensive though.

• Like 1

I didn't think you were having a shot Digger, haha.

I found it interesting that you are favouring certain cords for certain components, though it isn't the first time I have read this here.

The Voodoo's currently in the classifieds are interesting. Ones long enough to get to my mono's were quite expensive though.

How long do they have to be? My theory has been, buy the really nice wires, cables & cords when they come up. Keep them and upgrade your components when you can afford it.

Edited by mikey d

Funny you should say that Daz, Digger is my nickname :)

It was written on the packaging that the dac came in. :D

Cant remember off the top of my head, they are RK. 2.5m and 3m or something like that? I have the monos plugged into their own separate powerpoints.

• Like 1

Looks like I wasted my money on buying 6 Isotek Premier power cables, but I'd like to try some others on my power amps.

Edited by Sime