A surfeit of tuner riches

James agree re bargains SHOULD be there .

Not that i watch or analyze the market these days but there are som am fm good buys.

Cyrus FM6 at $100 ends today anyone know if it takes RCA orvar they Cyrus specialized connectors?

Hitachi FT 920 $120 buy it now

Nikko 500? Pick up in Lorne $50 anyone in lorne

Edited by djb

Suit Melbourne buyers

Decent tuner ENDS eBay 1620 today

Seaech Nikko FAM 500

Not their best but rare in oz from a quality Japanese maker in the late 70s hay day of fm

Sitting on $40

Advertised as pick up Lorne

Seller just confirmed to me can be collected from Mulgravebor Geelong

Edited by djb

My 2 listens were unimpressive but :) al will point out TGE error f my ways.

Got to be careful here

Mods have a retrospective border exclusion type policy

I don't want to get tangled and trip this close to a Naru style minefield.

• Like 1

My 2 listens were unimpressive but :) al will point out TGE error f my ways.

Got to be careful here

Mods have a retrospective border exclusion type policy

I don't want to get tangled and trip this close to a Naru style minefield.

Woose...

The Yamaha T-2,fm only tuner experiment has proved a little inconclusive

Rather I think I mistook the experiment.

The T-2 is a good tuner

It clearly surpassed the Sansui TU 417 which has been my mainstay for several years

I began to conclude from this sample of 1 that fm only tuners were superior -as a class -to am/fm tuners.

WRONG

ok silly notion

I retraced my tracks and played the T2 briefly against other 70s tuner in my stable:

Hitachi 5500 mark II

Nagamichi 7

Amber 7

There used to be more ;(

What's left in the system now that the T-2 has been returned?

The Hitachi which I felt was superior sonically

Next I might back test the Amber 7 and Nagamichi 7 against the Hitachi

Other lessons: experiment, move things through your system . While the Sansui 417 is nice and warm sounding the other two were sonically superior to it and I think the FM only Yamaha T-2

Edited by djb

Just don't buy an Accuphase. ( sorry Rob)

Try and find a Kenwood L1000 . You'll love it, I may be biased.

Cheers Dave.

Dave...

Don't be sorry...

What is the availability of a Tech Manual & parts...for those of us brave enough to search world wide...

Thanks...Rob

Now that you mention it, I can't say that I've seen one. Got the tech manuals for the power and pre from Electrotanya.

Will have a look for you.

Kenwood L1000 is supposed to be the poor mans Accuphase. I can't afford the real thing. 😜

Cheers Dave.

Edited by Pops110

Now that you mention it, I can't say that I've seen one. Got the tech manuals for the power and pre from Electrotanya.

Will have a look for you.

Kenwood L1000 is supposed to be the poor mans Accuphase. I can't afford the real thing.

Cheers Dave.

I am sure you can understand my "performance stage fright"...given that my HiFi fund has been drained by the anti competitive & trade restrictive practices adopted by Accuphase & Arena Distributors...

@@Rob181

Am I remembering correctly ( I'm to,d I'm old/prematurely white haired) but weren't you offered a schematic of a model only 1 character in model # to your own?

IF SO

Ascertain if there is any real difference between the 2 models if the difference is in consequential or irrelevant to your alterations go with that.

Proton am fm tuner on eBay

Very Good SQ

This is made by NAD ...... Sort of

in one of NAD's down turns they ceased production at their Korean factory

The production line continued without missing a beat .

I've seen a claim the the quality of the componentry actually went up!

Currently doing an A-B cf of Sansui TU-S9 & Yamaha CT-800, both with mainly power/ shielding mods.

Just used a splitter on the TV aerial & selecting on pre. Full strength signal for both. Sansui has slightly more gain, but has a bit of hiss on Classic FM; early days but think I prefer the Sansui ...

Edited by jamesg11

Hi all,

Not sure whether my new purchase qualifies for tuner greatness. Just waiting for my Luxman T-530 to arrive. Apparently well built so will hopefully find out by the weekend. If not, it'll mtach the looks of my Luxman amp :)

Care ofbTuner information center

Sansui TU-S9 (1980, $420, photo) search eBay

The fairly common TU-S9 is an unusually attractive digital synthesizer tuner, with a rosewood veneer cabinet and an elegant black front panel. Unlike some of Sansui's other digitals that some feel have overly colorful front-panel displays, the TU-S9's is subdued and "grown up," with a blue frequency display and preset channel markers, small green LEDs for signal strength/multipath and stereo, and red preset and "direct set" (see below)indicators. It has the digital equivalent of 4 gangs, 3 filters, and one RF FET amp. Our panelist Bob compared his TU-S9 to his TU-D99X and says he likes the TU-S9's sound better, stock. Bob also notes that like the TU-S7, the TU-S9 is more sensitive than one might expect. The TU-S9 is very similar to the TU-S7, but has more presets (10 vs. 6). It is packed with well-chosen and convenient features, including direct frequency entry for tuning or setting presets into memory (enter 1-0-0-7 for 100.7), a "noise canceller" filter, calibration tone, and signal-strength meter that doubles as a multipath meter. In the back are RCA outputs for Dolby FM and one labeled "AM IF OUTPUT (for stereo)," and a battery compartment that holds two AA's to maintain the memory settings. Unusual for a tuner, there is also an unswitched AC outlet. The TU-S9's RF front end and IF circuits are almost identical to those in the TU-S7, but the TU-S9 uses a different MPX chip and audio circuit, the very fine HA11223W, vs. the LA3380 in the S7. Finally, Bob notes that his TU-S9 "kills the M-D FT-101A in every measureable way but narrow selectivity (as it lacks a wide/narrow IF bandwidth switch)." See how one TU-S9 sounded compared to other top tuners on our Shootouts page. Sale prices on eBay can be very erratic, like this: $102 in 4/07, $150 in 8/07 and $15 in 10/07 for no discernible reason, $182 in 8/08, and a bizarre all-time high of $300 in 4/08 as two guys ran it up from $91. [bF][EF][JR]

YAMAHA CT 800

fron TIC

concludes, "I continue to think that the CT-800 sounds really nice under ideal circumstances. When bought, it was the best choice behind a CT-7000. I now regret that I couldn't find the extra cash, but I was quite young at the time." The CT-800, which appears to be somewhat similar to the CT-1010, usually sells for $50-100 on eBay and should be a major bargain at the low end of that range. The recent low was $10 in 4/08 and the recent high was $129 in 8/11, and a CT-800 with a recent alignment by Stereo Surgeons went for $207 in 11/05.

Edited by djb

Ok, found this -

Generally (on the tuners that I have) that switch changes one of the FM meters (usually signal strength) from detecting signal strength to displaying multipath (high multipath and the meter usually wobbles, low and the meter is stable). Normally, it doesn't change reception quality, but your Pioneer switch might change the tuner selectivity or sensitivity. Perhaps one of the Pioneer experts will know for sure.

Tuner experts, please correct any mis-information in this post.

A broad discussion on multipath is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_propagation

From David Mann Audio:

""Multipath" is a phenomenon that, to a degree, affects all radio communications. Radio frequency energy travels through space at the speed of light. The figure shows a common radio communications situation. The line A-B represents energy traveling straight from the transmitter A to the FM receiver B. Unfortunately, energy bouncing off building C, is causing a problem. Some of the energy travels the line A-C-B to the receiver. Since all of the energy travels at the speed of light, the energy traveling along A-C-B takes longer to arrive because the path length is longer. Hence the name "multipath". Multipath can be caused by a variety of sources including: buildings, mountains, bridges, tall towers, passing airplanes or clouds, and windmills.

On a TV set this late arriving energy will cause a second, distinct picture (Ghost image) offset to the right of the direct picture. Knowing a few details about how TV pictures are transmitted and the speed of light, one can measure the image displacement with a ruler on the face of a TV set and calculate the path difference between A-C-B and A-B. For FM reception, the late arriving signal is not late enough to perceived as an echo, but the recovery of FM Stereo information is disrupted and listening to the station can be an unpleasant experience.

The tuner's plight under a barrage of multipath is similar to your own while trying to understand voice announcements in a large transportation terminal filled with echoes.

Certain FM tuners perform better under severe multipath conditions. The relevant tuner specification is "capture ratio". A fortunate characteristic of FM technology is its ability to ignore a weak station arriving at the tuner on the same channel as a strong station. The stronger station is said to "capture" the tuner. A lower capture ratio usually results in better immunity to multipath problems. A very low capture ratio implies that the weaker station could be almost as strong, yet be completely rejected by the tuner. "Better", however, is not always satisfactory. One should not expect the multipath information to behave nicely and always arrive below the capture threshold.

Your best ally for preventing multipath distortion is a highly directional antenna. If the antenna does not respond to the off axis signal, multipath distortion cannot occur. Unfortunately, directional antennas at FM broadcasting frequencies, come in one size -- large. Unless the diagonal dimension of the antenna is approximately 120 inches, it will not be very effective for eliminating multipath."

Interesting

This might be my problem with melbourne MBS 103.55

Unlike ABC 105.95 and PBS 106.75 the signal is just slightly distorted as if it needs just a whisker more tuning

Happens with all my tuners

The thing to remember with all Tuner Information Center reviews is that in USA band widths are very crowded and being able to pull in signals and hold them tightly.

This is not a problem here iin Oz.

So - discovery time - on the Sansui TU-S9, when I hit the "signal/multipath" button the signal lights disappear & so does the hiss/sshhh background noise on ABC Classic FM! Sounds as if there's no other change; anything deleterious going on here?

Bet it's that f'n Westfield Doncaster Tower I can see between here & the Dandenongs!!