To buy or not to buy (Oppo BDP-105D)

That's crap. Playing CDs on the Laser sounded crap, the Laser couldn't play DVD audio nor SACD and had no online streaming, nor could play 3d bluray. Sure it played DVD and bluray region free, but no much beyond that!

really now ? did you read my post at all ? I will quote it for you again so you can carefully read it...

"sure but for blu-ray audio and video there will be zero difference with any be it 'yumcha' player say a under $50 region free lazer or under $100 brand name one or oppo or anything else. there simply isn't.

sure add on whatever else you want but for that core task of blu-ray playback...zero difference..."

hopefully that is clear ! :D

sorry but as a blu-ray player, the oppo is quite a relatively expensive example. if you just wanted blu-ray playback I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. much cheaper options around. sure if looking for a swiss army knife of a thing its a good option.

however as far as CD playback goes am sorry, but even a budget cd player from likes of cambridge audio, nad or marantz, even a 10+ year old player from musical fidelity will do a better job on cd replay than the 103. it just hasn't got it with regards analog stage and power supplies that even very old cd players will walk all over.

as far as sacd and online streaming there are cheaper brand name players that will do this. most if not all brand name players around the $100 mark and less will do media replay and online streaming. though would suggest if wanting a media player can do better than any player with some quite inexpensive units around. if wanting 3D usually you only have to buy one model up for your cheapest brand name or 'yumcha' player there nothing so fantabulous about 3D capability in players these days...

• Like 3

The OP has computer audio and has ripped most files on HDD as FLAC and is feeding it into A NAD M51 downstream to ncore 400.

If he continued this process for 2 channel and not worried about spinning a disc IMO will save some money and the fact the SQ is as good as it gets with this set up via a ref Kef. Do what @al says and buy a $100 3D bluray player will be a sensible option. Some will have the ability to read of the HDD with DLNA support as there is a USB input but almost all will only output via HDMI in which the NAD m51 supports and maybe some Panasonic or Sony bluray players will have s/pdif or optical out.

I have the OPPO 105 and I don't even use the analog out and neither as bluray but to play files ripped on a HDD because at the time of the decision there wasn't a lot on the market that can do this. I don't think much of the analog out on a 105 which is why I still have the NAD m51, so as @al has mentioned that 103 is possible no better than the 105. The OP has also heard the 105 and doesn't like it so I don't think there is any chance he's going to like the 103 hence money wasted. The OP is better off spending on a reclocker between the PC and the DAC as an improvement.

The OP has computer audio and has ripped most files on HDD as FLAC and is feeding it into A NAD M51 downstream to ncore 400.

If he continued this process for 2 channel and not worried about spinning a disc IMO will save some money and the fact the SQ is as good as it gets with this set up via a ref Kef. Do what @al says and buy a $100 3D bluray player will be a sensible option. Some will have the ability to read of the HDD with DLNA support as there is a USB input but almost all will only output via HDMI in which the NAD m51 supports and maybe some Panasonic or Sony bluray players will have s/pdif or optical out.

I have the OPPO 105 and I don't even use the analog out and neither as bluray but to play files ripped on a HDD because at the time of the decision there wasn't a lot on the market that can do this. I don't think much of the analog out on a 105 which is why I still have the NAD m51, so as @al has mentioned that 103 is possible no better than the 105. The OP has also heard the 105 and doesn't like it so I don't think there is any chance he's going to like the 103 hence money wasted. The OP is better off spending on a reclocker between the PC and the DAC as an improvement.

Lot of OP references :) basically if one compares the audio conversion of the OPPO with a $1000 dac. The OPPO will fall short as its not a dedicated appliance.

Both the 103 and the 105 get raving professional as well as user reviews for their analog output.

They all compare this to much more expensive Avis.

I think that is a valid comparison.

pchan has heard my system with basic pc setup taking the signal from several outputs including spdif from the motherboard. I think it's a very good suggestion to look at reclockers like those offered from Wyred 4 sound maybe. I could then use any old spinner as well as the pc runnng into the reclocker into dac. Solved? rarely in this hobby. Again thanks for everybody's replies here.

Lot of OP references :) basically if one compares the audio conversion of the OPPO with a $1000 dac. The OPPO will fall short as its not a dedicated appliance.

Both the 103 and the 105 get raving professional as well as user reviews for their analog output.

They all compare this to much more expensive Avis.

I think that is a valid comparison.

The 103 gets raving reviews for its analog output ? What deluded reviewers are these please tell ?

Any budget nad/rotel/Cambridge player will outdo easily over analog than 103. As with any number of bargain dacs.

The 105 has the analog stage, power supply and av implementation.

If just wanting Dac and analog stage and media replay, or just blu-ray playback there are cheaper options. Ofcourse if wanting an all in one unit the oppo 105 makes a good option over analog. If wanting a good all in one option over digital the 103 makes a good option

A quick Google Search should reveal those deluded people :)

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

sorry if they are such deluded souls. then they are completely on the wrong train instead in that case. even oppo is on record in print to tell you they do not recommend the 103 over analog and tell you to buy the 105 instead. i know 10+ year old players that are better over analog. in this case I think its the messenger thats completely screwing up the message. in that it is the oppo 105 that is good over analog not the103. but ofcourse if you want to believe such as well go for it there is absolutely nothing in anyone can do to stop it ! 

Guest myrantz

A quick Google Search should reveal those deluded people :)

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

These people may be deluded, or paid to raise a product profile. Not sure what you are but don't shoot the messenger. :P

sorry if they are such deluded souls. then they are completely on the wrong train instead in that case. even oppo is on record in print to tell you they do not recommend the 103 over analog and tell you to buy the 105 instead. i know 10+ year old players that are better over analog. in this case I think its the messenger thats completely screwing up the message. in that it is the oppo 105 that is good over analog not the103. but ofcourse if you want to believe such as well go for it there is absolutely nothing in anyone can do to stop it ! 

C'mon, you're still accusing me here, I just googled that's all.

You can do that too.

Reviewers have even compared to Surround Processors from Anthem and found the 103 to exceed in analog output quality.

Absolutely ridiculous ! But if you do want to believe what you just wrote ... Go ahead swallow it hook ...line and sinker !

Ofcourse there will be some that will just believe what ever they read on the web !

• Like 1

Just wondering Al, if all BDPs are the same for video.

Why would they bother with the Darbee version, or is that not about video? :)

Oh btw, I have the 105 and find it ok with audio, not outstanding.But its a great all rounder.

For others YMMV!

:)

• Like 1

...even oppo is on record in print to tell you they do not recommend the 103 over analog and tell you to buy the 105 instead.

That's in line with my experience with the 103.  As I posted earlier, I prefer HDMI on my 103 for HT duties - the analog works okay, but I found clarity is sacrificed far too much.  I have analog hooked up for 2 channel - but this is merely my back-up system if something goes wrong with the Reference 7 {touchwood}.  Don't get me wrong, it works okay and I can happily listen to it, but it doesn't stand up when compared to my other source.

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1

Just wondering Al, if all BDPs are the same for video.

Why would they bother with the Darbee version, or is that not about video? :)

Oh btw, I have the 105 and find it ok with audio, not outstanding.But its a great all rounder.

For others YMMV!

:)

I agree re the 105/95 there are better out there, ut good all rounders in the one package which is why I think people buy them.

natively no blu-ray player is different. re the darbee, it is enhancement. you can buy that separately if you want. the oppo D versions include a version of it. I was at the gtg in oz where it had its inaugural showing. and spent considerable time with it observing its effect. you had to be very careful how you use it. a touch in stills could bring some benefit but any more and it would detract. so personally from what I saw where it could do edge enhancement for stills and some effects on contrast etc. this was only observable on stills frames were these noticeable. on the fly you would be very very hard pushed to notice. if you cranked it up sure you'd see some effect but I don't think to the over all benefit. I have considerable screen shots from the event I could post and have posted else where. I was left unconvinced. the same goes with 4K upscaling. have seen its effect on JVC, crank it high and notice its effect. crank it down so its not detrimental to the image and you'd never know your even using it. gimmick ?. many might disagree, but just my observation. given the native sharpness and quality  of projectors today am not really sure these sorts of enhancement devices are necessary or needed. 

• Like 2

Any recommendations on blu-ray players? I have a Sony tv if that matters. An okay media player function would be a bonus. 3D is of no interest but they probably all have this now.

top of the line sony is $166, would do the lot

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/sony/sony-bdps5200-3d-blu-ray-player-with-wi-fi/548512/

if just want a basic one, $99

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/sony/sony-bdps1200-blu-ray-player/548513/

or middle of range, $136

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/sony/sony-bdps3200-blu-ray-player-with-wi-fi/548521/

Thanks al. I'll look into them. I've never been a HT guy so maybe blu-ray will be a new treat. I haven't sprung for anything like netflix etc because firstly I believe the qualtiy is less than dvd and blu-ray? And secondly as much as I like a good bit of escapism there is so much hollow krap out there. Unless of course there are better choices from other services I don't know about.

Thanks al. I'll look into them. I've never been a HT guy so maybe blu-ray will be a new treat. I haven't sprung for anything like netflix etc because firstly I believe the qualtiy is less than dvd and blu-ray? And secondly as much as I like a good bit of escapism there is so much hollow krap out there. Unless of course there are better choices from other services I don't know about.

Try Getflix.

Will Oppo purchase the subscription is $14.99 per month for unlimited blu rays (2 at a time) as well as unlimited streaming.

Thanks jojo. I'll look into it. Actually I think I had that or similar before. Better half is from UK and we like Brit comedy shows like 8 out of 10 cats and Would I lie to you but we didn't use it enough to make it worthwhile. We use youtube a bit and a Beyonwiz pvr which records what we want. Usually news, the drum and some comedy to raise our spirits after all the annoying depressing pollywaffle.

netflix is cr@p compared to blu-ray. you don't get hdaudio and the picture quality isn't anywhere near blu-ray quality. there are services where they mail out blu-rays to you, but you will be waiting an eternity for anything decent and pay subscriptions fees in the mean time. blu-rays to buy are actually quite cheap, just dont buy them when first come out and if you are just buying choice selections then won't cost a great deal lin scheme of things :)

Have a listen to the 103D. 

A customer wanted to have a listen so I obliged. And you know it was pretty damn good. Sure it doesn't have an exhaustive analog stage like the 105D but it was surprisingly good. I thought it sounded comparable to the entry level Rotel which was about the same price. 

• Like 1

A customer wanted to have a listen so I obliged. And you know it was pretty damn good. Sure it doesn't have an exhaustive analog stage like the 105D but it was surprisingly good. I thought it sounded comparable to the entry level Rotel which was about the same price. 

Mate, 

People on this thread don't want to know about it, that's why I concluded the conversation.

actually not only does the 103D not have the analog stage of the 105D it also doesn't have the dac stage(103D using cirrus dac on a chip like the older 93 vs twin sabres on the 105D) or the power supplies (switch mode on the 103 vs toroid on 105)

actually not only does the 103D not have the analog stage of the 105D it also doesn't have the dac stage(103D using cirrus dac on a chip like the older 93 vs twin sabres on the 105D) or the power supplies (switch mode on the 103 vs toroid on 105)

Yes but the Cirrus Logic chip isn't a weakling either. I think it has been used in Marantz and other pretty decent spec-ed CDPs before. 

I would say the Cirrus Logic is a different "sound" rather than better or worse than the Sabre32. 

Yes but the Cirrus Logic chip isn't a weakling either. I think it has been used in Marantz and other pretty decent spec-ed CDPs before. 

I would say the Cirrus Logic is a different "sound" rather than better or worse than the Sabre32. 

not suggesting the cirrus is rubbish. trying to discuss which chip is best is a difficult discussion as you are never hearing a chip but the implementation and the rest of the player in analog stage and power supplies etc. The cirrus by the way is a multichannel dac on a chip (4382A) its not a 2ch cirrus chip, unaware of any marantz cd players utilising this multichannel dac on a chip. their 2ch players typically utilise 4392, 4397, 4398 cirrus chips and their top line players using other brands and types. The dac chip is one thing though where the 103 lacks vs the 105D is greatly in analog stage and power supplies. which is usually where most even budget cd players win :)

a good intermediate player between the 103 and the 105D I would suggest is the cambridge players e.g. the 751/752 which in my experience add well with a very decent analog stage...more in line with their cd players. the 105 is still a step above but not by much :)

for all these things depends what someone is looking for. for some a budget no name thing will be plenty for others they want more.....

not suggesting the cirrus is rubbish. trying to discuss which chip is best is a difficult discussion as you are never hearing a chip but the implementation and the rest of the player in analog stage and power supplies etc. The cirrus by the way is a multichannel dac on a chip (4382A) its not a 2ch cirrus chip, unaware of any marantz cd players utilising this multichannel dac on a chip. their 2ch players typically utilise 4392, 4397, 4398 cirrus chips and their top line players using other brands and types. The dac chip is one thing though where the 103 lacks vs the 105D is greatly in analog stage and power supplies. which is usually where most even budget cd players win :)

a good intermediate player between the 103 and the 105D I would suggest is the cambridge players e.g. the 751/752 which in my experience add well with a very decent analog stage...more in line with their cd players. the 105 is still a step above but not by much :)

for all these things depends what someone is looking for. for some a budget no name thing will be plenty for others they want more.....

The Sabre32 is also an 8 channel DAC. But you can stack the DACs to improve the SNR to use 4 per channel so it can be used in stereo setups as well. 

As I said, I wasn't expecting the 103D to sound even half decent but the customer ended up preferring the 103D to the Rotel using Wolfson DACs and even I had to admit it was pretty easy to listen to. I enjoyed the overall presentation from the 103D too vs the Rotel which sounded a bit more clinical to me.