I’m strictly a cd to computer type person

but I do have this

all 14 cds

and this

all 6 cds  

Now, some would consider this a controversial statement, but the truth of the matter is that of the 20 CDs in your possession, about 3 are not essential, and they are all restricted to the Blood box set.

There is no doubt you have come out well ahead of the game.

Dylan is among the most heavily bootlegged artists, since way back with the Great White Wonder. A friend who received a suitcase of Dylan boots returned it to the owner, and reported (I was there to witness the conversation and the size of the suitcase) "I played them all. They'd be in the background and be normal or routine Bob and then all of a sudden something would catch my attention. There's a lot of music in that suitcase and every so often there are standouts - just one song in a concert or two - that are pure gold, just sublime".

In other words, the journey is well worth traveling.

Edited to add the buyer beware piece about the Rolling Thunder Revue film's blend of fiction and fact:

we’ve compiled a complete-as-possible compendium of what’s fictional in Rolling Thunder Revue — not so much to spoil the mystery but to potentially shield casual observers from unintentionally passing off historical falsehoods in the future. (After all, isn’t fake news our greatest enemy these days?)

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/rolling-thunder-revue-what-is-true-and-what-is-fake.html

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
  • Like 3

On 29/06/2019 at 4:22 PM, Mendes said:

Not yet @keyse1......rain here tomorrow so could be the day...

Wonderful, an insight into Bob. As if we can ever get an insight into Bob.

absolute genius....insightful, relevant and well ahead of his time...for me he will always remain “forever young”

• Like 3

On 29/06/2019 at 1:19 PM, keyse1 said:

So who’s seen the Bob show on Netflix 

@Mendes

@buddyev

@Linolad

@turnthetable

anyone else?

I’m off to see the Beatle movie

expect serious reviews when I get back

Not Yet Keyse1, waiting for my best mate to come over, whack it up on the projector and open a nice bottle of red.

Cheers  

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 7:44 PM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Now, some would consider this a controversial statement, but the truth of the matter is that of the 20 CDs in your possession, about 3 are not essential, and they are all restricted to the Blood box set.

There is no doubt you have come out well ahead of the game.

Dylan is among the most heavily bootlegged artists, since way back with the Great White Wonder. A friend who received a suitcase of Dylan boots returned it to the owner, and reported (I was there to witness the conversation and the size of the suitcase) "I played them all. They'd be in the background and be normal or routine Bob and then all of a sudden something would catch my attention. There's a lot of music in that suitcase and every so often there are standouts - just one song in a concert or two - that are pure gold, just sublime".

In other words, the journey is well worth traveling.

Edited to add the buyer beware piece about the Rolling Thunder Revue film's blend of fiction and fact:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/rolling-thunder-revue-what-is-true-and-what-is-fake.html

Hi Third Drawer Down,

As you and I have discussed previously, although I am a Beatle person I am also a Bob Dylan person as well with all of his studio albums, in various guises, and also all of the standard Bootleg series except for Blood, for which I have the six CD set.

Whilst it is one of my favourite albums of Dylan, (Blood On The Tracks), I find it heavy going for 6 CD's.

That may be heresy, but I echo your friends comment in that there is some gold there, but much is repetitive and just ordinary or perfunctory performances or snippets.

Cheers  

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 1:19 PM, keyse1 said:

So who’s seen the Bob show on Netflix 

@Mendes

@buddyev

@Linolad

@turnthetable

anyone else?

I’m off to see the Beatle movie

expect serious reviews when I get back

It is great - really value the intensity of the performances.  And the Dylan's modern day acting in the interview bits.

It's funny, when I saw His Bobness for his 6 Sydney shows in '86 the Rolling Thunder tour seemed like a lifetime before.  Both in music style (with Heartbreakers), "biker Bob" garb, etc.  But only 10ish years apart. And now looking back from 30+ years down the track it just speaks to how the phases of Dylan's music and stage expression can morph so quickly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

It is great - really value the intensity of the performances.  And the Dylan's modern day acting in the interview bits.

It's funny, when I saw His Bobness for his 6 Sydney shows in '86 the Rolling Thunder tour seemed like a lifetime before.  Both in music style (with Heartbreakers), "biker Bob" garb, etc.  But only 10ish years apart. And now looking back from 30+ years down the track it just speaks to how the phases of Dylan's music and stage expression can morph so quickly.

And in between was the religious tour 79/80

Just as impassioned as Rolling Thunder in 75

The 1976 Rolling Thunder was a totally different again with more hostile singing and a vitriolic recording of Idiot Wind

The 1st 4 CDs of Trouble No More are brilliant and includes 1 unreleased song that defies all logic as to why never released

The weirdest “gap” in Dylan’s recording is the Blonde On Blonde vocal followed by John Wesley Harding vocal

Although The Complete Basement Tapes does explain it 

You can hear the vocal change but at the time it was both great and wtf 

• Like 1

One of my favourite pictures of Dylan(be another 20 years before i could call him Bob)

Computers are the best way of listening to music that I know of

and god knows I’ve had them all

record players tape recorders cassettes 8 tracks CDs 

nothing beats a computer 

sitting back here in my chair drinking beer looking at different pictures when the song changes

able to read both song and record from 6 feet away

dac working overtime valve amps 

incredible noise free sound 

im taking this setup to heaven

when I go

not having to jump up every 20 minutes

up next ready and waiting

image.jpg

• Like 4

The problem

for me

is 

don’t make Bob the first record I listen to

because here I am 3 hours later

in the same place

Highway 61 

Blonde On Blonde

Bringing It All Back Home

and

John Wesley Harding( probably the most important record in my life)

so to speak

and no regrets?

image.jpg

• Like 3

I think I could listen to the following songs forever,

Love Minus Zero/No Limit

She Belongs To Me

Queen Jane Approximately

Ballad Of A Thin Man

Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues

I Want You

4th Time Around

Memphis Blues Again

The Ballad Of Frankie Lee & Judas Priest  and plenty of others whilst just covering one era.

Cheers

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mendes said:

Desolation row

Jokerman

One more cup of coffee

Isis

Girl from the North country

Oh... I could go on......:thumb:...... I am hearing you @Linolad

The list would be endless Mendes, I wouldn't really know where to stop or start.  I was only able to put a few numbers down because of  keyse1 reminiscing around in the Classic 60's output! ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Linolad said:

The list would be endless Mendes, I wouldn't really know where to stop or start.  I was only able to put a few numbers down because of  keyse1 reminiscing around in the Classic 60's output! ?

indeed.....

what about...

Idiot Wind

Forever Young

All along the watchtower

Spanish is the loving tongue

The Bob man is true genius.......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mendes said:

indeed.....

what about...

Idiot Wind

Forever Young

All along the watchtower

Spanish is the loving tongue

The Bob man is true genius.......

? Genius indeed!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise surprise 

Sounds good

John Wesley Harding outtakes sound good with the harmonica not so ear shattering 

Johnny Cash sounds as good as he always does From this time but the tracks are obviously just mucking around albeit on a pretty grand scale

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great record

I like it more every time I play it

This could be completely wrong but I think Bob’s a bit in awe of Johnny Cash in their interactions between songs and some of the shared vocals

I remember seeing The Johnny Cash tv show but pre dating the over the top interest I have in both Johnny and Bob now?

Sara Dylan and June Carter Cash one of these photo’s 

52624AA2-990C-4819-AAC3-9EA2A60D97DF.jpeg

A95AB82C-1DF0-45FD-BFE3-13E5D7E4A2B2.png

215165F6-0A2E-4065-B1F5-262FAE8D1E71.jpeg

B6B45FE2-B3BC-441F-B983-0D3D876682E3.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What about hypnotism 

I see or hear Barnaby and my mind goes blank and i see my favourite song or live rock n roll or surfing in the 60’s 

Would that work

The Drum is on soon 

and then the news

3F3C0DE5-E56B-4703-B3FD-E8944C26DE6B.jpeg

7CBCF91F-DB60-46CF-9C80-57527F734599.jpeg

5EB3445B-275D-42A9-9E33-237E37983C7C.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I love Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash

Sounds like a T shirt

Or button type badge

Unkind people think it’s madness

And here they are together

my dac stopped working so am forced to use an old CD player 

A reminder of how much I love ?????computers?

Almost best invention ever for listening to music

Wish I’d had one when I was 20 

Would never have needed to leave the house?

Have just accidentally rediscovered a slideshow of Bob pictures

Hundreds of pictures from the internet saved in photos and then slideshowed 

Looks really cool

CB3D0B3F-D4D0-42B1-9151-74B45846A483.png

image.jpg

27453404-C08A-49D0-80D9-44EFAC74C7AC.jpeg

CDB8EEB9-48C2-44E2-9003-EF260385EB15.jpeg

74140999-DEDE-478C-B76B-559AB64E4453.jpeg

ED039D6F-AD26-4D5E-9EE5-8878B7532260.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an opinion regarding which version of the Trouble No More bootleg series, LP vs CD set? The CD set has alot more music, but I suspect if the pressings are good this music could sound pretty great on record. And no need to suggest the obvious 'get both!'

• Like 1