Is JJJ rubbish or am I just getting old?

jjj was never intended as backward looking in music playlists so it had less to draw on

It's quite funny though how, when on the odd occasion they play some RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against The Machine, Alice In Chains etc from the 90's, the text line always seems to go in to meltdown.

And it's younger listeners as well enjoying it, not just us old fossils.

Because, gee I dunno, maybe people DON'T actually wanna hear Danny Brown shout DON'T LET ME IN TO MY ZONE every day of the week.

Or Kanye West grunt about his guns and appendage.

Or that ******* Arnold tune. Thank god they finally stopped playing that.

I think they need to have a look at their daily/weekly playlist.

They do play a lot of good stuff, but at the same time they're no different from commercial stations in that they repeat the same music over and over every day, just in different timeslots.

I'm getting old (46) and way beyond Triple J's demographic target. In hindsight I'm surprised I was kept interested so long. Around 2 or 3 years ago I just decided it was time to leave it for the "kids". I had been listening since they started in Perth and remember well the 1990-1 presenter purge they had to suit the new "national youth network" focus. That was good and bad. Never got over Maynard being dumped from the morning slot in favour of the insufferable Razer/Robbins combo. It was love/hate with TripleJ since way back :P

My current worry is for DIG Music. I'm loving the no DJ, adult with some real "rock snob" oldies mixed in format. Hope they don't add in DJs and more 90s nostalgia playlists.

• Like 1

I was never a big JJJ listener, even when I was right in the demographic and it was very popular among my peers; a bit of Hottest 100 and Blues and Roots with Jordie Kilby, but that was about it. So I probably don't have the same sense of loss as others.

Anyhow, the way I see it JJJ is just one branch of ABC radio. If it's not doing it for you like it used to, there's still ABC Local, Radio National, Classic FM, News Radio plus digital radio has Grandstand, Dig and ABC Jazz. That is a wide and wonderful range of programming. If you can't find something you like there you may need to consider if you are some sort of narrow minded fusspot.

I listen mostly to ABC Local for sport and RN for music and talk.

Canberra is a pretty small pond for community radio and the stations here don't have the same presence as FBI, PBS or RRR. There's some good stuff but you are just as likely to tune into giggling lesbians or Croation language news as you are a knowledgeable music presenter. I would explore internet radio more but my mobile data allowance barely covers my SNA addiction.

• Like 3

The majority of my radio listening is background noise either when I'm out working or in the shed.

I love my local ABC Tropical North in the mornings, but when The Country Hour and rural report comes on at midday I usually change across to JJJ.

Until 2PM, as TCH is followed by The World Today which usually drags on a bit, and I will have heard most of the headline news in the morning anyway on AM.

Again, I can't stand commercial stations, especially the ones with local ads, and wish there was a good alternative with a mix of talkback and decent music to listen to.

All day.

Without having to resort to digital radio.

There's a rock station here which plays decent music, although once you've listened to it for a few weeks straight, you've heard their entire library pretty much.

And it's a commercial station of course, with Bazza's Carpet Warehouse shouting at you every half hour about their massive sale this weekend every weekend.

And Harvey Norman.

And The Good Guys.

And JB HiFi.

And the local fish market.

And the local egg producer.

And the local waxing salon.

And the..... Etc

:(

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Moving from a Triple J hatefest, to a DIG lovefest.

That playlist. So much music to play with when you don't have high rotation and talk time. This really floats my boat. Some of the old stuff they play in the mix leaves me speechles (with joy) sometimes (today's playlist oldies includes The Replacements, The Move, DEVO, Yardbirds)

http://digmusic.net.au/played

Moving from a Triple J hatefest, to a DIG lovefest.

That playlist. So much music to play with when you don't have high rotation and talk time. This really floats my boat. Some of the old stuff they play in the mix leaves me speechles (with joy) sometimes (today's playlist oldies includes The Replacements, The Move, DEVO, Yardbirds)

http://digmusic.net.au/played

See now that's more like it.

Why can't there be a non-digital radio station like that to make that stuff available everywhere.... :unsure:

You're just old dvp :)

JJJ seems more like a gateway to other places (websites, blogs, digital stations) now rather than "the place" so it is maybe a little safer and mainstream to have broader appeal. The demographic they are aimed at consumes media a lot differently to my JJJ heydays of the 90's.They still play and promote live attendance for a bunch of aussie music and music in general that I would be unlikely to hear without a lot more work than flipping the radio on so I reckon they are alright.

I can tune out stuff I'm not interested in pretty well, years of workplaces with Top 40 stations or redneck talkback on has inured me to such assaults ;)

• Like 1

This is very amusing to an old person

All you jjj complainers you are getting old and you're in denial

Jjj is now just another signpost not the destination

jjj remains a place for teenagers 20's and 30's. You have outgrown it

Next comes teenage children and then yelling at them and thinking

Did I really say that

God my father used to say that

Jesus he was so right

And then you're done

The downhill slide

• Like 3

I have listened to JJJ most of my life, I am well out of the target demographic now. With JJJ taking on the programming of DIG radio I expect JJJ to become even more youth orientated as they expect old fogeys like me to be catered for by DIG. JJJ used to have heaps of on air talent so I dont think its just an age thing. My favourite remains Biggsy then there has been Adam Spencer, Sandman, Flacco, Angela Catterns, Mikey Robbins, Merrick & Rosso, Wil Anderson, Myf etc etc.....I could go on and on so its not just you.

+1. Had a tear in my eye listening to Ang Catterns last show. Used to love to listen to Karl on a Thursday, only ever tune in now if in the country. They seemed to go through phases several years ago where it would be all heavy stuff or electronic etc. Not enough variety for me so now listen to iPod in car or SEN sports.

You're just old dvp :)

I can tune out stuff I'm not interested in pretty well, years of workplaces with Top 40 stations or redneck talkback on has inured me to such assaults ;)

Well I''m hitting the big 4-0 in a few months ;)

And when I'm working or in the shed I have nobody else telling me what to listen to, so I wanna tune IN not OUT :)

I remember getting a wide eyed look of astonishment from a young bearded hipster when I bought the Sleigh Bells LP after it was released. I'm sure that he was expecting me to arrive at the counter with The Eagles or equivalent. I just said to him 'I might be old but I'm not dead yet'.

• Like 2

They got me onto The Jezabels, Metric, Gaslight Anthem etc. I am forever grateful. :)

They got me into countless bands which is why I will always have a soft spot for the station.

JJJ would really get somewhere if they scrapped the playlists and allowed the show presenters to play music that they liked

The DJ's used to get 2 free choices per hour but I dont believe that is the case any longer.

Been listening to the J's since it first played Skyhooks as their debut song. It has it's ups and downs but one must remember you can't be to nostalgic because things move on and so do listening audiences and music taste. Take the diversity as what it is, enjoy what you can but be prepared to hit the fast forward button........dang.... Oops I meant the channel selector to AM.

• Like 1