Jazz: Currently Spinning

Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner.  Not your trad jazz...prolly shoulda posted this in the Blues thread...but whatever... a brilliant jazz/blues bar atmosphere with spoken word...over double bass, guitar, drums, tasty sax and piano licks etc and occasionally seqway into songs.  His gravely voice and laconic delivery brings a smile ad chuckle every time i listen ?. Decent SQ too if that's important...particularly the Db and piano...a few wines and/or spirits and you're there at the bar!  

IMG_4638.jpg

• Like 8

first spin after it came today

really enjoying it, very much towards the blues end of the equation 

(they don'y credit a bass player but you hear someone walking it - I can't figure it out)

R-13813020-1561679612-5066.jpeg.jpg

'Baby Face' Willette - Face To Face

LP, Album, RE, 180
Blue Note, Blue Note, Blue Note, Blue Note B0029750-01, ST-84068, BST 84068, 84068
2019 US
  • Like 3

I've had 'Lope and Antilope' by Get The Blessing for quite a while now and it's become one of my favorite modern style jazz albums. Found 'Astronautilus' at Dada Records in Perth recently and was pretty excited to play it but was disappointed on first listen. This is much darker and heavier with more free playing and off-kilter melodies. The good thing about buying  real, in-your-hand copies of albums though is that it commits you to second and third chances to get to know the music and luckily, this has grown on me like mould in a damp dunny. I've played this half-a-dozen times in the last few days and need to ease up now to avoid over doing it.

Great stuff.

531473537_GTBx2.thumb.jpg.60e9e5c50d2235919d410a24b0b3cf7e.jpg

• Like 2