Jazz: Currently Spinning

Guest deanB
14 minutes ago, att23 said:

I love this album too. And I rate Ruben Gonzalez highly as a free spirit pianist, very entertaining. Think he was already 70 something years old when he recorded this, but still awesome. Imagine if we got to hear him when he was at his prime. Think he just walked in and recorded the album.  

I think you're right, kind of a one take session. Check out the fingers on Rubén, grace and power. I've also taken a liking to Eliades Ochoa and Orlando Cachaito Lopez.

Ry Cooder and Wim Wenders have my eternal admiration and gratitude.

Duke Ellington And His Orchestra,  The Duke And His Men. RCA ‎ L11012, Compilation, Mono Australia 1955.

The price sticker, not sure if is the original, but assuming it is;  10 shillings & sixpence (not the image below which is the US pressing), which according to the RBA is worth $18.03 in 2018 https://www.rba.gov.au/calculator/annualPreDecimal.html 

The Duke And His Men (Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Mono) album cover

• Like 5

Marshall Allen turned 95 yesterday, and celebrated in style with an Arkestra performance at Cafe Oto. What an absolute legend, playing in the Arkestra since 1958!!!

I wish I was in London this month, with back to back residencies of Joe McPhee and Oren Ambarchi, then this! :x

ei.jpg.016cdb0eb969eb53e909b51baef48368.jpg

Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 6