Jazz: Currently Spinning

31 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

No that’s Wynton Marsalis......or are you talking about another gig?  I’m confused....

It’s the same gig. Wynton Marsalis is playing together with the Lincoln Centre Orchestra. 

Edited by att23
Typo
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 10:25 AM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Herbie Hancock to headline the Melbourne Jazz Festival. 8th and 9th of June. Hamer Hall.

I saw him at the Opera House about five years or so ago. Maybe my expectations were too high but for the most part it was a disappointing evening @ 175.00 per. The acoustics of the Opera House terrible, a five minute medley of his Blue Note days and much of his more current catelogue. With that being said,  the online write up of his Melbourne stop was very positive.

• Like 1

A heads-up for Brit jazz fans.

Strut proudly present the brand new studio album from Nubiyan Twist, 'Jungle Run'.
Now one of the leading lights in the UK's new generation of soulful, genre fluid artists, the 12-piece collective have created their finest recordings to date, effortlessly weaving together elements of jazz, soul, hip hop, African styles, Latin, dub and electronics in a flow of thought-provoking and life-affirming music.

The album is another landmark for a band that has been consistently developing their sound since their formation in 2015 at Leeds College Of Music ”One of the biggest factors in our sound was the exciting music scene in Leeds,’ explains Joe, “from a reggae night called ‘Sub Dub’ to venues playing whacked out experimental jazz.” Since then, the band’s self-titled debut album (2015) and EP ‘Siren Song’ (2016) have become classics in their own right and their live show has become an essential ticket
The band also draft in two African legends for guest duties with the original Afrobeat maestro Tony Allen on ‘Ghosts’ and Ethio jazz pioneer Mulatu Astatke contributing vibes on the sinuous ‘Addis To London’.
'Jungle Run' is out this friday on CD, 2LP and digital. Cover artwork comes from acclaimed designer Marcus Davies and the album is mastered by The Carvery.

images (79).jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

A heads-up for Brit jazz fans.

Strut proudly present the brand new studio album from Nubiyan Twist, 'Jungle Run'.
Now one of the leading lights in the UK's new generation of soulful, genre fluid artists, the 12-piece collective have created their finest recordings to date, effortlessly weaving together elements of jazz, soul, hip hop, African styles, Latin, dub and electronics in a flow of thought-provoking and life-affirming music.

The album is another landmark for a band that has been consistently developing their sound since their formation in 2015 at Leeds College Of Music ”One of the biggest factors in our sound was the exciting music scene in Leeds,’ explains Joe, “from a reggae night called ‘Sub Dub’ to venues playing whacked out experimental jazz.” Since then, the band’s self-titled debut album (2015) and EP ‘Siren Song’ (2016) have become classics in their own right and their live show has become an essential ticket
The band also draft in two African legends for guest duties with the original Afrobeat maestro Tony Allen on ‘Ghosts’ and Ethio jazz pioneer Mulatu Astatke contributing vibes on the sinuous ‘Addis To London’.
'Jungle Run' is out this friday on CD, 2LP and digital. Cover artwork comes from acclaimed designer Marcus Davies and the album is mastered by The Carvery.

images (79).jpeg

I listened to this yesterday but maybe I need more plays as its not quite jelling with me right now

• Like 3

Been listening to this the last couple of days, Eric Dolphy-Musical Prophet 3 CD set, contains Conversations/Iron Man albums plus all studio recordings from the original sessions, includes 90 0dd page booklet with photo's, interviews etc, another  great release from Resonance records .

IMG_6758.JPG

• Like 4

I haven’t been posting much of late, but as always, am always devouring as much music as I can, when I can, and most of it is jazz related.

This 4CD box set just arrived, and it contains 4 albums.

“Ultima” (1997), ”Remember To Forget” (recorded the day after the aforementioned album) , “The Other Side” (2000) , and “On Reade Street” from 2006.

I’ve long considered William Parker and Hamid Drake as masters of bass and drums respectively, but as a rhythm section I consider them near untouchable in the free/avant- garde world.

Norwegian Sax player Frode Gjerstad might not be as well known, but he plays with the spirit of the mighty Ornette, and is a powerhouse player in his own right.

I’m playing Ultima at the minute and loving every minute of it.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/ultima-frode-gjerstad-cadence-jazz-records-review-by-derek-taylor.php?width=1600

4374B594-0013-468C-9BEE-9DE8DFE521E3.jpeg

• Like 3

On 19/02/2019 at 2:39 PM, Kafunis said:

Been listening to this the last couple of days, Eric Dolphy-Musical Prophet 3 CD set, contains Conversations/Iron Man albums plus all studio recordings from the original sessions, includes 90 0dd page booklet with photo's, interviews etc, another  great release from Resonance records .

IMG_6758.JPG

Nice..? what are your impressions?!

• Like 2

On 19/02/2019 at 4:39 PM, Kafunis said:

9(IMG_6758.JPG

So damn annoyed I didn't grab the vinyl when this Dolphy was released. ?

JEROME SABBAGH & GREG TUOHEY - No Filter

AAA recording sounds excellent and well worth the extra wait for them to get this right. Get your copy while you still can, if you didn't already pre-order one.

FZp32b2.jpg?1

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Nice..? what are your impressions?!

Really good, all Mono. Only listened on the computer with headphones so far, but I'll give it a listen through the stereo this weekend, hopefully, The Package is a tri-fold, the only thing is the book is very tight to get in/out so might have to look for an alternative storage so I don't rip the cardboard .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kafunis said:

Really good, all Mono. Only listened on the computer with headphones so far, but I'll give it a listen through the stereo this weekend, hopefully, The Package is a tri-fold, the only thing is the book is very tight to get in/out so might have to look for an alternative storage so I don't rip the cardboard .

Ta! Don't mind Eric, I just need to be prodded into buying this...

CD or Vinyl!?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Citroen said:

So damn annoyed I didn't grab the vinyl when this Dolphy was released. ?

JEROME SABBAGH & GREG TUOHEY - No Filter

AAA recording sounds excellent and well worth the extra wait for them to get this right. Get your copy while you still can, if you didn't already pre-order one.

FZp32b2.jpg?1

Yeah would have liked to get the vinyl, never saw any round these parts, did you ?? Glad to have this anyway and probably saved myself $60 that I can buy other records with  ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Ta! Don't mind Eric, I just need to be prodded into buying this...

CD or Vinyl!?

Mines CD, the vinyl was released for RSD Black Friday I think last year, not sure too many made it down here , The Cd's great though highly recommended especially if you don't have either album (Conversations/Iron Man) already ! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kafunis said:

Yeah would have liked to get the vinyl, never saw any round these parts, did you ?? Glad to have this anyway and probably saved myself $60 that I can buy other records with  ;) 

No, but there were a few available online at the time.

• Like 2

a1430058307_16.jpg

Wings Of An Angel - Subordinate Every Thought To Deception And Fair Danger -- normally this prolific artist releases albums on the ambient / drone / noise side of things, but this one has a beat, a bass, a saxamaphone, and random piano noodlings, and is closer to a late night smokey free jazz session. Just a single 97 minute track, so it's quite an achievement to get to the end. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

• Like 1