Jazz: Currently Spinning

Ben Webster, The Consummate Artistry of Ben Webster. Clef Records ‎ MGN 1001.  Mono US   C. 1955.

Credits

Alto Saxophone – Benny Carter 

Bass – Ray Brown

Drums – Alvin Stoller 

Guitar – Barney Kessel 

Piano – Oscar Peterson

Tenor Saxophone – Ben Webster

Trumpet – Harry Edison 

The Consummate Artistry of Ben Webster (Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Ben Webster, The Consummate Artistry of Ben Webster. Clef Records ‎ MGN 1001.  Mono US   C. 1955.

Credits

Alto Saxophone – Benny Carter 

Bass – Ray Brown

Drums – Alvin Stoller 

Guitar – Barney Kessel 

Piano – Oscar Peterson

Tenor Saxophone – Ben Webster

Trumpet – Harry Edison 

The Consummate Artistry of Ben Webster (Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono) album cover

I haven't seen this before .... recommended?

• Like 2

John Coltrane - Blue Train

I had that moment when Coltrane's sax emerges from the intro in the track "Blue Train" in my head for the last few days.  For mine, one of those little signature moments in music.  So why not enjoy the real thing rather than just the memory...

Related image

• Like 5

Here's one CD from a large batch that I got from Dada Records in Perth, 'Lope and Antilope' by Get the Blessing, and probably the best of them.

42488896_LopeandAntilope.PNG.b549ada916504cf828511bd0c01e5a64.PNG

Now I know some on here won't accept any band that use electronics are true Jazz artists so you purists may need to string a garlic band around your necks and load the silver bullets 'cos I reckon this is an awesome jazz recording. I've been into a more modern - 21st century style of jazz and love artists such as Bugge Wesseltoft (especially his collaborations with Laurent Garnier, Henrik Schwarz etc.) Nils Petter Molvaer and others that since the mid-nineties have teased the limits of jazz with electronics and samplers without losing the soul of the genre.

With this recording the non instrument and electronic sounds used are very much in keeping with the Jazz ethic (IMO) and being new to the band (though they've been around for some time) I will explore their music further.

1582434481_GettheBlessing.PNG.124ce60efe064861e277cf1cb81e7735.PNG

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

I haven't seen this before .... recommended?

Definitely! it is effectively his first album, after he left the Duke. It is two studio sessions recorded in 1953, released on Norgran Records in 1954. My copy is on Clef, before Granz started Verve. It was re-released As King of the Tenors , including on CD, so you should be able to find a digital copy. To my (unreliable) ear, It is post bebop/bebop. With Oscar Peterson & Ray Brown on both sessions, you can't go wrong. https://www.discogs.com/master/view/511511

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chet Baker riverside (OJC) reissue.

The LP plays fine so far, some minor noise which I can accept pretending it’s an used record, but gosh, it’s one of the most dirty and dusty new records I have bought. Fingerprints, watermarks, pieces of paper/residue... 

8D3882D3-1554-4C5A-BA79-C5EFEDDDB4FB.jpeg

• Like 3

Spinning CDs for the newly acquired integrated tube amp, celebrated with just purchased Melody Gardot Live in Europe which was recommended by a SNA member in a thread on live album recommendations. Enjoying the mellow sound on a Sunday evening

80C612F5-E42B-407E-BADF-5AA7F40829CD.jpeg

• Like 3