Jazz: Currently Spinning

In Between The Tumbling A Stillness 

Assif Tsahar/William Parker/Hamid Drake

Hopscotch Records 

I had to order this record from Sax player Assif Tsahar himself because the Hopscotch Records site is a shambles. Hadn't heard it, but it garnered a 5 star review on the freejazzblog site. And Parker and Drake are involved so an easy decision to purchase.

A superb release from 2018.

20190127_164719.jpg

• Like 6

My listening tonight has been guitarcentric, and here I continue on that theme. This Japanese pressing has brought about a thought, whenever I purchase a number of records from the one collection, the Jap pressings always are the ones in best condition. Is it because they are better cared for, or is it the material they are made from? The black of the vinyl always seems blacker (as does the audio background), and the surface is less tarnished. Some gentle reinterpretations of well known and popular songs on this, with touches of virtuosity. Wes is joined here by Ray Barretto on congas, Ron Carter on bass, Grady Tate on skins, George Devens on vibes, and a cast of many on violin and cello.

1548668891819178304297.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

My listening tonight has been guitarcentric, and here I continue on that theme. This Japanese pressing has brought about a thought, whenever I purchase a number of records from the one collection, the Jap pressings always are the ones in best condition. Is it because they are better cared for, or is it the material they are made from? The black of the vinyl always seems blacker (as does the audio background), and the surface is less tarnished. Some gentle reinterpretations of well known and popular songs on this, with touches of virtuosity. Wes is joined here by Ray Barretto on congas, Ron Carter on bass, Grady Tate on skins, George Devens on vibes, and a cast of many on violin and cello.

1548668891819178304297.jpg

Agreed and lucky you t-mike. I got a CD only.

Juzz1.jpg

• Like 2

On 27/01/2019 at 4:27 PM, Citroen said:

EZRA COLLECTIVE - Juan Pablo The Philosopher

MAISHA - There is a Place

MANSUR BROWN -Shiroi

SHABAKA AND THE ANCESTORS - Wisdom of Elders

cbCGBGs.jpg?1

How's  the Mansur Brown @Citroen ?? Don't have that one . . yet ? ! Really like that Maisha though .

• Like 1

Have a listen on Spotify (or Tidal) or Bandcamp

https://mansurbrown.bandcamp.com/album/shiroi-2

Generally I'm not really a great fan of jazz guitar.

But the skill in Mansur's playing and the soulful nature of the tracks, lends itself to a great laid back vibe, with simple drums, and bass.

Sound and pressing wise, its fine.

• Like 2