A different 'which streamer?' thread...

On 25/01/2024 at 9:19 PM, J.D. said:

... approx. $1,150 to $1,500..

The choice comes down to three things: price, DAC and ripping.

On 26/01/2024 at 10:40 AM, J.D. said:

Top end definitely is a consideration for me, especially with headphones 

As far as the other suggestions are concerned, I’m definitely more interested in a touch screen. 

One thing I definitely don’t want is to have to sign up for a subscription service. 

On 30/01/2024 at 11:08 PM, J.D. said:

About the only thing it doesn't have is a balanced output.

11 hours ago, J.D. said:

By the way, internet radio is also a priority here and I'll take advice on that.

Your requirements have evolved over the week.   Can you please confirm  which of the following are "must have" and which are "nice to have" :  

- price up to $1,500

- ripping

- top end (what does it mean?)

- headphone amp

- touch screen

- balanced output

- internet radio

• Love 1

23 hours ago, J.D. said:

Are services like the BBC available or are they geo-blocked?

It's a long story, but yes, many BBC stations are freely available. Good info and a currently working MPD playlist file for non-uk listeners can be found here:

https://garfnet.org.uk/cms/2023/10/29/latest-bbc-hls-radio-streams/

I have downloaded the first file listed as an MPD playlist -- I can open the playlist, add a station there to my queue and play it. It takes a second or 3 to kick in - but it does work. No VPN shenanigans needed.

Mind you it's possible the Beeb may change this at any time. They really want you to use their "BBC Sounds" app, a web browser or an "approved" (paying??) service (so they can monetise and/or control what goes to the data brokers). It's an ongoing cat and mouse game. And where the BBC goes, the ABC is sure to follow.

• Like 1

Isn’t the issue with BBC radio is that it’s all horribly compressed?  Why bother when there is such a great range of FLAC, ALAC, and High Def channels about?

On 3/2/2024 at 9:17 AM, Snoopy8 said:

Your requirements have evolved over the week.   Can you please confirm  which of the following are "must have" and which are "nice to have" :  

- price up to $1,500

- ripping

- top end (what does it mean?)

- headphone amp

- touch screen

- balanced output

- internet radio

-Price is correct

-Ripping not essential but nice if it can be ripped by the device in the codec it prefers

-Top end: sorry, treble (I'm a bit new to some of this). The DAC in my amp does strange things through headphones at higher frequencies, hence the question of a headphone amp

-Headphone amp probably essential. I was hoping to use a different DAC to the one in the amp (Burr Brown). See above

-Touch screen not essential but I want a screen

-Balanced output is something I'm investigating. If I go that way, the headphone amp will have to be included because there isn't likely to be one in a power amp, like a Rotel 1552.

-Internet radio is correct

So, in short, the most important things are:

-Price

-Treble

-Balanced output

-Internet radio

Starting to look like the EverSolo DMP-A6.

Edited by J.D.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, J.D. said:

So, in short, the most important things are:

-Price

-Treble

-Balanced output

-Internet radio

Starting to look like the EverSolo DMP-A6.

The A6 does not have a headphone amp which you said is probably essential?

To clarify, are you driving headphones only ?  If so, there are headphone amps with streaming capabilities.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

The A6 does not have a headphone amp which you said is probably essential?

It’s complicated. Yes, I did say that but there’s a bit more to it. One of the major considerations is ditching my current NAD C338 and replacing it with a combination streamer/preamp and a power amp, like the aforementioned Rotel 1552 MkII, all hooked up with balanced connections.

I know there are complications with this because some streamers come with no provision for tone controls.

I have considered a separate headphone amp and they can be had for reasonable money so, even if I went for the DMP-A6, I could still get a half decent headphone amp a bit further down the track.

I guess the point I was really making was that there are several interlinked factors involved.

Added to that, I have now seen several barely-used Cambridge Audio CXN V2s going cheap, even though that doesn’t have a headphone jack either. It’s too bad I’m not quite ready yet. The total cost, including a headphone amp, would still be comparable.

if I sound like I’m flip-flopping, you’re right. The more I look into this, the more complicated it seems to get. Streamers like this offer options I didn’t expect when I first started looking around.

Edited by J.D.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.D. said:

The more I look into this, the more complicated it seems to get. 

It is always the case! 😀  Hence my suggestion of putting in  a must have list and sticking to it (if you can!)

1 hour ago, J.D. said:

I know there are complications with this because some streamers come with no provision for tone controls.

There is also DSP, the modern way to do things. And in the A8, not the A6.

1 hour ago, J.D. said:

One of the major considerations is ditching my current NAD C338 and replacing it with a combination streamer/preamp and a power amp, like the aforementioned Rotel 1552 MkII, all hooked up with balanced connections.

Why not go up a used NAD M10? 

And please do not discount the incredible value of an all-in-one.  Far too many people do not recognise, let alone admit, that it takes a lot effort, time and money to stitch together various components.

3 hours ago, Godot said:

How about the FIIO R7? 

https://www.fiio.com/r7

Thanks Godot.

Snoopy linked to a Darko review of the EverSolo DMP-A6 which directly compared the Fiio R7. I confess that, in my confusion, I completely forgot about it.

it seems to tick all the boxes, though I’d obviously have to hear it.

Edited by J.D.

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

There is also DSP, the modern way to do things. And in the A8, not the A6.

I know a bit about that. I’ve messed around with DSP chips for a speaker build.

It’s also double the price.

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Why not go up a used NAD M10? 

And please do not discount the incredible value of an all-in-one.  Far too many people do not recognise, let alone admit, that it takes a lot effort, time and money to stitch together various components.

Phwoar! Because honestly, it’s a lot of money to drop in one hit.

The streamer/preamp + power amp route is something I can do in stages. I certainly see the value in the M10.

By the way - and just as an aside - is it just me or has What HiFi got a problem with NAD? I have never seen a NAD component get more than four stars. Some, like the C338, get only three. I know it’s just a review site and I don’t take them that seriously but it’s a bit odd.

Edited by J.D.

48 minutes ago, J.D. said:

Thanks Godot.

Snoopy linked to a Darko review of the EverSolo DMP-A6 which directly compared the Fiio R7. I confess that, in my confusion, I completely forgot about it.

it seems to tick all the boxes, though I’d obviously have to hear it.

I think that the consideration with the R7 is that there’s no app control, so you have to really interface with it via the touchscreen on the unit itself.  Of course this may not be a problem, but it’s called a desktop system for a reason…

43 minutes ago, J.D. said:

I know a bit about that. I’ve messed around with DSP chips for a speaker build.

Phwoar! Because honestly, it’s a lot of money to drop in one hit.

The streamer/preamp + power amp route is something I can do in stages. I certainly see the value in the M10.

By the way - and just as an aside - is it just me or has What HiFi got a problem with NAD? I have never seen a NAD component get more than four stars. Some, like the C338, get only three. I know it’s just a review site and I don’t take them that seriously but it’s a bit odd.

What hifi is nothing more than a glorified advertisement.  Probably Lenbrook don’t spend enough on advertising.