Help with Subs - SVS vs M&K vs Monoprice

I am in the market for 2 x subs and want some opinions on my options.

My short list is

2 x SVS SB2000 Pro

2 x M&K V12

2 x Monoprice M12

On paper, the Monoprice seems to be the best.

I would like some opinions on this.

TIA

Currently they are similar in pricing.

The SVS is

• 12"
  • Sealed
  • 550W RMS
  • Has phone app

The M&K is

• 12"
  • Sealed
  • 300W RMS
  • THX Select rated

The Monoprice is

• 12"
  • Ported
  • 500W RMS
  • THX Ultra rated
  • Has XLR

7 hours ago, AudioFool18 said:

I am in the market for 2 x subs and want some opinions on my options.

My short list is

2 x SVS SB2000 Pro

2 x M&K V12

2 x Monoprice M12

On paper, the Monoprice seems to be the best.

I would like some opinions on this.

TIA

Currently they are similar in pricing.

The SVS is

• 12"
  • Sealed
  • 550W RMS
  • Has phone app

The M&K is

• 12"
  • Sealed
  • 300W RMS
  • THX Select rated

The Monoprice is

• 12"
  • Ported
  • 500W RMS
  • THX Ultra rated
  • Has XLR

It depends on what you want it for. You can get some pretty boomy bass from ported enclosures which you probably won't get from sealed. But the sealed ones are generally more expensive to get the same level of bass extension. It's a trade off.

What is your actual budget and usage - you may get advice on other options?

For your 3 options above, if it's for home theatre and you've got large main speakers, then maybe the Monoprice. If it's from two channel, maybe the SVS. And if it's for both, maybe the M&K.

• Like 1

Suggest you go tell us about:

- intended use, movies or music, split between them

- rest of your equipment

- your room, size, room treatment

- how will subs be integrated?

Picking a sub can be done after...

The subs will be 90% for HT and 10% for music.

The room is approx 5m x 4m with 7.2.4 setup.

I have a few high end speakers which I rotate for the L&R, all are big full range such as Polk L800 and SGR CX4F.

The centre, surrounds and top speakers don't tend to change.

I'm using an Onkyo RZ50 as a processor and currently have 1 sub.

I have a mini dsp which I intend to use when I have 2 subs. I intend to set up the 2 subs with the mini dsp, then Dirac Live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AudioFool18 said:

The subs will be 90% for HT and 10% for music.

I would go for a single Monoprice 15". Your room is not that big and the larger sub will be better for HT than 2 smaller ones. Its also considerably cheaper.

A decent setup in a mid sized room.

To answer your original question, all 3 options can do the job,  maybe the Monoprice is ahead? It has the lowest frequency response for movies and have the flexibility to go ported or sealed. But not sure of local support?  SVS is rightly popular here, and well supported, but the App is a gimmick.  M&K has the lowest power (but may not matter in your room).  Cannot comment on THX, not something I have focused on. 

More interesting is how do you intend to integrate the 2 subs? The RZ50 has 2 sub ports in parallel but you intend to use the miniDSP.  Maybe use MSO? (And I can help)

An easier way is to use Dirac Live Bass Control, and no need for the miniDSP, but you will have to upgrade to the RZ70.

P/s used to have CX3B's and CX3C for my fronts

8 minutes ago, stereoman said:

I would go for a single Monoprice 15". Your room is not that big and the larger sub will be better for HT than 2 smaller ones. Its also considerably cheaper.

I have had Paul from Red Spade Audio come measure my room. 1 sub can either do the very low end of the high end, but not both for the MLP. Hence the miniDSP.

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

A decent setup in a mid sized room.

To answer your original question, all 3 options can do the job,  maybe the Monoprice is ahead? It has the lowest frequency response for movies and have the flexibility to go ported or sealed. But not sure of local support?  SVS is rightly popular here, and well supported, but the App is a gimmick.  M&K has the lowest power (but may not matter in your room).  Cannot comment on THX, not something I have focused on. 

More interesting is how do you intend to integrate the 2 subs? The RZ50 has 2 sub ports in parallel but you intend to use the miniDSP.  Maybe use MSO? (And I can help)

An easier way is to use Dirac Live Bass Control, and no need for the miniDSP, but you will have to upgrade to the RZ70.

P/s used to have CX3B's and CX3C for my fronts

I too am leaning towards the Monoprice.

I had recently bought the Integra DRX8.4, but couldn't justify the price of the 8.4 and the DLBC license just to add 1 more sub.

The RZ50 does everything I need except the 2 subs, which the miniDSP should be able to do.

I am not 100% sure on the miniDSP setup at this stage, but will jump into it once I get the subs. Certainly never hard of MSO, so this will be very interesting after I get the subs.

I think the general consensus is the Monoprice (2 of them) is more than enough for what I need. Then the fun of integration begins.

• Like 1

Paul knows his stuff, so you are in good hands. 

Understand your reasons for going to RZ50. Please let me know if you want to explore MSO; it does not do everything DLBC does, but is free, need some work...