Suitable MM cartridge/stylus for Technics SL1300 mk1

Hi all, Im interested  in knowing members ideas/ experiences with cartridges/stylus  in combination with the Technics  direct drive SL series  of turntables from the 1970s.  What sounded good, what didnt work so well?  I have SL 1300 mk1 , my understanding  is this has a medium  mass tonearm  of around 17grms ( do all the direct drive Technics of the 1970s have a similar tonearm  ? ) 2nd hand this TT came with a Empire  2000e III ( with unknown light blue stylus ) , this sounds pretty good, certainly quite bassy, with wide sound stage ( possibily lacking a bit in midrange  ) 

I also  have a ATVM95e ( also pretty good, obviously  less soundstage than Empire, but maybe  better in the midrange) and a " thorens" rebranded At91 or 3600 , I know this is a cheap  cartridge  but it sounds surprisingly  lively!  . I'm open to ideas of upgrades,  but only justify  low to medium priced carts, even open to buying old 2nd hand ones , Shure M91ed or such, or AT120e or newer VM540 series. Over to you guys. 

Thanks Tal, yes Im enjoying the Empire, it has great specs ( maybe depending  on which original  stylus it had ) I think I will get a quality replacement  stylus  for it. Sadly original  ones dont exsist much. 

41 minutes ago, sansuiuser said:

Thanks Tal, yes I'm enjoying the Empire, it has great specs (maybe depending on which original stylus it had ) I think I will get a quality replacement stylus for it. Sadly, original ones don't exist much. 

You don't necessarily have to get a "replacement stylus assembly".  (And some of these replacement units seem to be of doubtful quality, so I understand.)

Try @cafe latte in Qld - I would think he'd be able to re-tip your current assembly.

4 hours ago, sansuiuser said:

Hi all, Im interested  in knowing members ideas/ experiences with cartridges/stylus  in combination with the Technics  direct drive SL series  of turntables from the 1970s.  What sounded good, what didnt work so well?  I have SL 1300 mk1 , my understanding  is this has a medium  mass tonearm  of around 17grms ( do all the direct drive Technics of the 1970s have a similar tonearm  ? ) 2nd hand this TT came with a Empire  2000e III ( with unknown light blue stylus ) , this sounds pretty good, certainly quite bassy, with wide sound stage ( possibily lacking a bit in midrange  ) 

I also  have a ATVM95e ( also pretty good, obviously  less soundstage than Empire, but maybe  better in the midrange) and a " thorens" rebranded At91 or 3600 , I know this is a cheap  cartridge  but it sounds surprisingly  lively!  . I'm open to ideas of upgrades,  but only justify  low to medium priced carts, even open to buying old 2nd hand ones , Shure M91ed or such, or AT120e or newer VM540 series. Over to you guys. 

I actually would recommend getting an Audio Technica microline stylus for your AT VM95E for an instant upgrade to your soundstage and level of detail (stylus  part number is AT VMN95ML) . I am not clear that the Empire would be better, and certainly not unless you stretched to an advanced stylus, which would be pricey.

Btw, I used to own an SL1300 mk1 - a beautifully made deck, hope you enjoy it. 

5 hours ago, sansuiuser said:

I also  have a ATVM95e ( also pretty good, obviously  less soundstage than Empire, but maybe  better in the midrange) and a " thorens" rebranded At91 or 3600 , I know this is a cheap  cartridge  but it sounds surprisingly  lively! 

Hearing what you say here, I would recommend getting a Black Diamond true elliptical for either AT cart.

1 hour ago, mkaramazov said:

I actually would recommend getting an Audio Technica microline stylus for your AT VM95E for an instant upgrade to your soundstage and level of detail (stylus  part number is AT VMN95ML)

Or this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkaramazov said:

I actually would recommend getting an Audio Technica microline stylus for your AT VM95E for an instant upgrade to your soundstage and level of detail (stylus  part number is AT VMN95ML) . I am not clear that the Empire would be better, and certainly not unless you stretched to an advanced stylus, which would be pricey.

Btw, I used to own an SL1300 mk1 - a beautifully made deck, hope you enjoy it. 

Thanks  thats probably  something  I will do anyway, as my bonded elliptical  stylus is starting to show slight signs of wear.  

• Like 1