Studio Monitor Appreciation

Starting a new topic because although I thought we had discussed this once I can't find where! 

I just bought a pair of Focal Trio 11 be and they are fantastic! Big sound and very detailed. 

Others I have owned include:

ME Geithain RL930k , Quested H210, KSD C88 reference, Adam F5 and Fluid Audio Fx8. 

I've also dabbled with some of the vintage speakers that used to be seen in mastering studios such as the B&w 801 and the Tannoy k3838. 

I guess the appeal lies in the idea that these were built help people produce music. The designs are usually very considered,  functional and driven by engineering. 

There's a few I haven't tried but would someday love to, such as Genelec, PSI, ATC, Neumann and Barefoot.

Would love to hear if any other members share an interest in this sub-genre of speaker for home listening. 

20230331_093613.thumb.jpg.8b00c0c7507caabe1ad80120aeff9c21.jpg

The massive focal trio 11 and KSD c88

• Like 5

I assume that Dutch & Dutch 8C are relevant and below is my thread.

Seemingly the Dutchies are a bit of a crossover speaker in that they seem to have been designed to be in the studio or at homes.

Mine are on rollers too.

In general, I do think that pro studio monitors are underappreciated by the average audiophile.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 3

Yes, I have heard the Dutch&Dutch demoed and they are exceptional.  I definitely count them as studio monitors, and I see a lot of talk about them in pro forums. But yeah,  they have cleverly indicated their suitability for home use.

16 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Mine are on rollers too.

Great looking setup you have there! I see you had Legends before and they were active. Interested to hear how they compare

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sleach said:

Great looking setup you have there! I see you had Legends before and they were active. Interested to hear how they compare

Thanks, both good speakers. As you might expect, the superior directivity and cardioid design of D&D yields a better overall frequency response with superior imaging. One area where the Legends probably had an advantage was the fact their woofers are down near the floor alleviating some floor bounce.

12 hours ago, sleach said:

Would love to hear if any other members share an interest in this sub-genre of speaker for home listening. 

I believe their are a few SNA members running different actives setup's, like Kii3's etc.  

I personally own some JBL M2 active monitors. I'm definitely biased, but the JBL M2's are phenomenal for Hifi, and certainly keepers for life ;)

I bypassed using the noisy Harman outboard Crown amplifiers, and instead opted for NAD c298 Purifi amps, feed by a multichannel USB DAC Motu MK5 Ultralite, with minimum phase crossovers (Recreated from OEM JBL settings) executing in Roon. 

After spending many years listening to some of the best Pro Audio speakers, the JBL M2's for me, provide a very unique convergence of Pro Audio know how (SPL capability, low Distortion, linear phase response, Directivity control) and recording monitor accuracy. With the ability to play music at well beyond sane music levels with accuracy, and no hit of compression or distortion - they are a fairly unique beasts. 

I listen mostly around 75-80db, preferring indie, jazz and electronic genres. The clarity the compression/waveguide combo provides with the 15inch is fantastic. 

IMG_4116.thumb.jpg.a136b80bb2420f121da60539e4579ee6.jpg

Edited by Grizaudio
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, sleach said:

There's a few I haven't tried but would someday love to, such as Genelec, PSI, ATC, Neumann and Barefoot.

I've tried (but not owned) a few. 

Genelec 8040 (Great sound), JBL 308 Mk2 (Great sound per dollar), Event Opal (Tweeter is too hot IMHO), PSI Floorstanders (Remember them being quite balanced, but lacking high SPL headroom), Dynaudio AIR 25 (I didnt like what I heard, upper HF's drilled holes in my ears, maybe it was source pairing) I would love to hear the new Core range.

My absolute favourites were the PMC MB2s (Amazing speakers), and my M2's.  

20 minutes ago, Grizaudio said:

I personally own some JBL M2 active monitors. I'm definitely biased, but the JBL M2's are phenomenal for Hifi, and certainly keepers for life ;)

Wow! Yes true endgame speakers there.  I was very impressed at the JBL room at the hifi show in Melbourne last year and the M2 are a league above what was being played there.

• Like 2

I started with the JBL LSR305p's that now reside with my youngest daughter, then the AdamT5v's using an EQ from ASR to tame the top end and at the moment I have the Kali LP8's.

I still have my collection of passive speakers, but ease of use and very good performance from the Kali's are very, very satisfying.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sleach said:

Classics, hard to beat at their price.  Kali's are on the list I'd like to try sometime too

I did look at the Kalis also. I dont think you can go too wrong with most studio monitors

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased KRK Rokit 5 G4 for my desk setup. I think they're fantastic, especially for less than $600 for a pair. Connected to a Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC/headphone amp. Very enjoyable and easy to listen to and exceeded my expectations.

• Like 2

As I understand it studio monitors are designed to produce a flat frequency response-to be "neutral".

However according to Harman and other research people do not like to listen to speakers with a flat response.They prefer a lightly downsloping frequency response.And the  subjective sonic differences are significant.

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

As I understand it studio monitors are designed to produce a flat frequency response-to be "neutral".

However according to Harman and other research people do not like to listen to speakers with a flat response.They prefer a lightly downsloping frequency response.And the  subjective sonic differences are significant.

I'm pretty sure this is not true.

Harman found that speakers with a flat anechoic frequency response and good directivity are preferred.

This usually means that such speakers at the typical listening position in room will measure with a lightly down-sloping frequency response.

My pseudo studio monitors (Dutch & Dutch 8C) are very flat anechoic with good directivity and do measure with a lightly down-sloping frequency response in my room.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

I understand that,  but my philosophy is that I like to hear what the producer intended, so I play back on equipment that is close to what the music was made on. There are other considerations too, such as that mastering studios are well treated and carefully designed for acoustics. At home there is scope to adjust the sound with dsp and peq to partially compensate for that. A really well designed monitor gives you the scope to adjust sound to your liking, with confidence that the amps and driver are properly matched. 

In addition, I love the functional design of them, so that's a factor for me.

• Like 1

I have no need to EQ the Kali-LP8's, as they measure pretty damn flat straight out of the box. I have played with the boundary switches to see if I could further optimize the sound, but not necessary from the position of the speakers in relation to my listening position.

The Adam's had a peak that was quite exhilarating to begin with but after a while began to grate on my nerves, hence my need to EQ that turned them into one of my favourite sets of speakers.

• Like 1

been listening nearfield with several different JBL studio monitors some were conventional drivers
4410,4411,4412,L56,changed to horn system 4425 and presently listening to 4429,can,t see myself returning to all cone speakers as i have grown to love the horn sound,if i was to change back it would be a pair of JBL4411 if i could find them.:D🎶 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sleach said:

I understand that,  but my philosophy is that I like to hear what the producer intended, so I play back on equipment that is close to what the music was made on. There are other considerations too, such as that mastering studios are well treated and carefully designed for acoustics. At home there is scope to adjust the sound with dsp and peq to partially compensate for that. A really well designed monitor gives you the scope to adjust sound to your liking, with confidence that the amps and driver are properly matched. 

In addition, I love the functional design of them, so that's a factor for me.

100% A good speaker, with good directivity performance, flat amplitude response and low distortion will accept EQ easily for preference. 

I would argue a neutral anechoic response, with low distortion is a fantastic spot to start from. DSP from there to preference. 

Edited by Grizaudio
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ray4410 said:

been listening nearfield with several different JBL studio monitors some were conventional drivers
4410,4411,4412,L56,changed to horn system 4425 and presently listening to 4429,can,t see myself returning to all cone speakers as i have grown to love the horn sound,if i was to change back it would be a pair of JBL4411 if i could find them.:D🎶 

Compression just sounds right… 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TSOPDS said:

the KRK rokit 8's sound brilliant out of the bx, but because they also have the added DSP EQ`to get them sounding spot on in your room

I saw this video some time ago. Pretty sure she doesn’t know what she’s doing at all. You’re meant to connect the speakers to your phone to output the test/white noise signal for the microphone and app to analyse. She does not do this. 

Edited by Formula409