How Loud Will ML1's Go

bhobba

there's that word i was talking about!

Dear oh dear.

Obviously what is meant, is exactly what Mike meant when he gave his little 'rant', is most people would judge it better.  Until recently every single person that heard an ML2 Limited compared to the ML3 Reference judged the ML2 Limited better.  However at a recent GTG one person preferred the ML3 Reference.

Mike is simply confident that will be the same for the ML1 Limited.

When words like better etc are used it's usually very obvious from context what is meant.  If not then a simple post clarifying is all that's required rather than get hung up by the use of such terms in the first place.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

How loud depends on how much LFE content. 40hz above are non issue of course but then comes Daft Punk. I really don't see how 5" or 6" driver can reproduce this truthfully. It would be fun to test though.

Bingo.

The thing is a lot less material has significant content below 40hz than is generally thought.  That is the exact issue with the few tracks that bottom an ML1.

Thanks

Bill

Mate, this is the Dorothy Dixer section of SNA. Please respect that :)

Hmmmm.  Dorothy Dixer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Dixer

'In Australian politics, a Dorothy Dixer is a rehearsed or planted question asked of a government Minister by a backbencher of his/her own political party during Parliamentary Question Time. The term is used in a mildly derogatory sense. Often, the question has been written by the Minister or his/her staff rather than by the questioner, and is used to give the Minister a chance to promote themselves or the work of the Government, or to criticise the opposition party's policies, to raise the profile of the backbench Member asking the question, or to consume the time available for questioning and thereby avoid tougher questions. It is a common and widely-accepted tactic during Question Time in the House of Representatives and the Senate.'

I don't think that's whats going on here.

Granted, semantics around the use of terms like 'better' etc are IMHO not really a productive direction to take a discussion but each to their own I suppose.

Thanks
Bill
Edited by bhobba

How loud depends on how much LFE content. 40hz above are non issue of course but then comes Daft Punk. I really don't see how 5" or 6" driver can reproduce this truthfully. It would be fun to test though.

Lucky for me Daft punk is not considered as music my ml1's can do cello very well driven with above average front end......... 

Lucky for me Daft punk is not considered as music my ml1's can do cello very well driven with above average front end.........

Broaden your horizons and enjoy your journey Mario... There's a heck of a lot more music out there than plain old cello recitals.

• Like 3

I think in conventional designs, when you keep dialing the volume knob on most ported designs, the vibration of the cabinet and the port chuffing tends to create so much noise and interference that the speakers can't be played beyond a certain level.

I asked Mike a while back about these issues and from my rudimentary understanding of his explanation, the ML1's highly inert cabinet and the crossover design that creates a filtering of the port resonance frequencies allows the driver to keep going and going until it hits its limits. Which as I've found, even in the tiny 5.5" woofer in the ML1 is quite a high limit. Sure, given the same conditions, a larger woofer (like with the ML3 and ML2s) would allow a much deeper bass response, but by removing two of the big constraints earlier, you might be surprised how much detailed bass information the ML1s can deliver. 

Bill, with respect, if you look at the list of threads in this Lenehan section, you have started 9 out of the top 10.

Folks can't help but wonder...

Again, with respect, there is a difference between wondering something and saying it.

I DID NOT TEE THIS UP WITH ANYONE BEFOREHAND.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

Your right violin,.piano and all other music which uses natural instruments i will leave the electronic synthesizers for johny darko fans  :P

Each to their own mate. Regardless, if the ML1s can't reproduce low bass at high levels, then so be it. Some people have diverse music tastes, so bigger/better speakers would be a good choice in those circumstances methinks.

• Like 3

Your right violin,.piano and all other music which uses natural instruments i will leave the electronic synthesizers for johny darko fans  :P

Mario , there is a huge amount of stuff inbetween. Personal choice, but I don't want a system that is so honed for a small range of musical types that I can't enjoy the wide range of music that I have in my collection.

Edited by Ozcall
  • Like 5

• Volunteer

Each to their own mate. Regardless, if the ML1s can't reproduce low bass at high levels, then so be it. Some people have diverse music tastes, so bigger/better speakers would be a good choice in those circumstances methinks.

Luckily there is no need to bother with those unnatural pipe organs.

Again, with respect, there is a difference between wondering something and saying it.

I DID NOT TEE THIS UP WITH ANYONE BEFOREHAND.

Thanks

Bill

Bill , I have no doubt you are just an enthusiastic consumer BUT there is a saying about too much of a good thing .....

I am lead  to believe that a fairly large number of folk are getting a wee bit tired of the constant commentary on Mike's products. Perhaps give it a rest for a while , try some other speakers or give us some more insight into the sources and amps you are using or even . god forbid :) , the music you are currently enjoying.

G

Indeed.  Ml1's, limited, or any other version, are not the best choice for everyone for all sorts of reasons with the above being just one of them.  Another would be if you like them as the thread about the ML1 review shows.

I posted the original question that started this thread because the issue of volume achievable with the ML1 was raised in another thread.  I thought it was best answered here where the person that knew the answer best could participate. If your material doesn't have much below 40hz they will reach very loud levels indeed.

Thanks

Bill

Bill , I have no doubt you are just an enthusiastic consumer BUT there is a saying about too much of a good thing .....

I am lead  to believe that a fairly large number of folk are getting a wee bit tired of the constant commentary on Mike's products. Perhaps give it a rest for a while , try some other speakers or give us some more insight into the sources and amps you are using or even . god forbid :) , the music you are currently enjoying.

G

Lets see - you have an issue with me discussing Lenehan products on the subforum specifically set up for that purpose.  God forbid if I were to do it in another subforum.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

Lets see - you have an issue with me discussing Lenehan products on the subforum specifically set up for that purpose.  God forbid if I were to do it in another subforum.

Thanks

Bill

Apologies Bill , didn't look at the forum heading, my link to SNA just lists the new posts  .

Wouldn't do any harm to listen to a variety of other speakers though :P

Edited by Ozcall

Apologies Bill , didn't look at the forum heading. My link to SNA just lists the new posts  , so perhaps you can understand where I and others are coming from.?

Mate I am enthusiastic about Lenehan stuff, no question.  That may annoy some people but to be blunt there are some things about what certain posters do that annoy me.  I however simply wear it - this is a public forum after all and, providing its within the forum rules, they are entitled to do it.  But for some reason that doesn't seem to apply to others in relation to me.

BTW its not the only thing people cackle on about in relation to my posts.  Another is the rubbish I go ga ga about every piece of gear I hear which is untrue.  But they feel its perfectly OK to say that.

May I suggest a bit of live and let live?  I try and do it.

Thanks

Bill 

Broaden your horizons and enjoy your journey Mario... There's a heck of a lot more music out there than plain old cello recitals.

Your right violin,.piano and all other music which uses natural instruments i will leave the electronic synthesizers for johny darko fans :P

Daft punk has real instruments :)

• Like 1

Your right but i have the option of running a sub with my ml1's for that low bass at high levels 

Mario , there is a huge amount of stuff inbetween. Personal choice, but I don't want a system that is so honed for a small range of musical types that I can't enjoy the wide range of music that I have in my collection.

And who states that my system is honed in for small range of musical types?

We all have limitations i don't see horns in your showcase thread