Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Any news from sony?

No, not even a peep.

Will more than likely give up, have got more important priorities in my life at the moment, also have gotten use to the tinge, that I hardly notice it now.

I will never buy a Sony TV again though, the service agent here is to incompetent if something goes wrong.

No, not even a peep.

Will more than likely give up, have got more important priorities in my life at the moment, also have gotten use to the tinge, that I hardly notice it now.

I will never buy a Sony TV again though, the service agent here is to incompetent if something goes wrong.

This is the reason why I liked Grundig in Sydney. Grundig itself serviced everything to prefection. Now this was years ago.

Sony's service agent for my area (European Electronics) have inspected the TV and confirmed that the optical block is faulty. They took a copy of my receipt and are waiting for Sony's response to a request for "out-of-warranty" cover, which has been just over a week. If Sony don't cover it, then I should be able to claim on the automatic 1 year extended warranty insurance offered by my credit card (not sure of conditions, excess, etc., though).

They have said that the quote to replace the optical block is in excess of $3000, so I hope it doesn't need replacing again in another 18 months, or less!

Steve

NB.: They also said that they need to take the TV away to replace the part, which seems ridiculous - it will take longer to pick up and re-deliver than to replace in home.

Sony have agreed to replace the part free of charge but not the labour/service fee to replace it. This is $475 however my credit card insurance (extended warranty) has agreed to pay this (less an excess of $75). I am still waiting for the part to arrive but it is now expected this week. They are still refusing to replace in home, saying that it must go to the workshop.

Steve

Nearly forgot - when the service agent came out to inspect, my wife (I was at work) said that the TV has a problem where everyone looks yellow. She turned it on to demonstrate and "The Simpsons" is on! Perfect timing.

Edited by Alfred the Great

Sony have agreed to replace the part free of charge but not the labour/service fee to replace it. This is $475 however my credit card insurance (extended warranty) has agreed to pay this (less an excess of $75). I am still waiting for the part to arrive but it is now expected this week. They are still refusing to replace in home, saying that it must go to the workshop.

Steve

Nearly forgot - when the service agent came out to inspect, my wife (I was at work) said that the TV has a problem where everyone looks yellow. She turned it on to demonstrate and "The Simpsons" is on! Perfect timing.

They are charging $250 an hour for their labor, what f*#%!ing rip off. Still Sony are doing the right thing and your are getting a good result for a very acceptable cost. :D Makes you wonder why Priory is having so much trouble, it’s the service agent for sure.

Edited by Owen

Steve

Will be interesting to see how your replacement goes vs Priory's.

If anyones wondering what I ended up doing with iris settings I eventually settled for AUTO2 with imin/imax/igain = 0/340/167. 167 for igain was the original value.

These settings give me optimum black with a small amount of iris activity at around 30% brightness. These settings only use a small portion of the iris's total range. I find these settings an acceptable compromise between noticable iris activity and some extra dynamic assistance to contrast. To further improve contrast I also increased the picture setting on the SXRD from 82 to 88. Any higher would introduce a red tint to near whites. For a while I also modified the Nvidia graphics driver settings to ensure 16-235 video levels to the SXRD but found the default limited (0-235) dynamic range to look more natural. The limited (0-235) dynamic range in the Nvidia control panel setting sets video levels to the SXRD to 16-255.

Couldn't help but notice this topic on Sony and their optical blocks. I have a Sony Grand Wega 60" Rear Projection TV (KFWS60S1) and the optical block failed back in April this year. Are these the same optical blocks used in the SXRD's and are these 'new and improved OB's' going to work in mine?

Sorry to tag but I can't start a new topic of my own yet :(

But there isn't much discussion on it. I'm interested in what settings others are using too. I've the 52X viewed from 3m and find both Vivid and Standard way too artifical looking, so I've been tinkering with making changes in Custom. What I'm aiming for is natural looking, or at least what the film maker intended. Here's what I've got so far:

Hey there

Just wanted to post this because i have had so many problems trying to get the right setting.

Does anyone have a decent config for the TV?

At present i have a 46 X. The tv is sweet. BUT, the settings are cr@p. I bought the X Files Blu Ray on the weekend and with lots of motion i get left over artifacts. For example, when mulder moves his head fast, there is remnants of his face after it has moved to its new location. Even with the sharpness, motion flow on max and a few other things, i just cant clean it up.

My PS is connected via HMDI and transmitting on 1080P. But the motion is terrible.

Please, if anyone has a decent set of configurationts... i would love to hear it. At the moment i just feel ripped off.....

Thanks for your time...

<_<

Steve

The part finally arrived last Friday and the service agent came out yesterday to install. It ended up taking about 4 hours! He arrived late, 5:30pm and was here until 9:30pm, so he probably got killed by his wife when he got home and will be abusing the company for sending him to such a lengthy job late in the arvo.

The guy had never even seen a 70" SXRD, let alone worked on one :o . I checked on his progress at one stage only to discover this, and that he did not have a service manual - he was flying blind and ringing other techs for advice, then given wrong info by them. I quickly showed him the service manual on my computer (thanks, Owen :rolleyes: ) and gave him a copy before he left.

The picture is back to its outstanding quality and so far, so good. Actually, I had become accustomed to the defect and forgotten just how good the picture quality can be. Its amazing again!

Steve

The part finally arrived last Friday and the service agent came out yesterday to install. It ended up taking about 4 hours! He arrived late, 5:30pm and was here until 9:30pm, so he probably got killed by his wife when he got home and will be abusing the company for sending him to such a lengthy job late in the arvo.

The guy had never even seen a 70" SXRD, let alone worked on one :o . I checked on his progress at one stage only to discover this, and that he did not have a service manual - he was flying blind and ringing other techs for advice, then given wrong info by them. I quickly showed him the service manual on my computer (thanks, Owen :rolleyes: ) and gave him a copy before he left.

The picture is back to its outstanding quality and so far, so good. Actually, I had become accustomed to the defect and forgotten just how good the picture quality can be. Its amazing again!

Steve

That's great to hear. I think Priory's service agent needs to call yours since it appears they can even get it done in home, and as you say 'flying blind' with no SXRD experience!

Hi

I have a 70inch SXRD which I purchased approximately 18 months ago.

I love this tv to death and I paid around $9000 for it. I'm about to move house and the television is too big for our new living room...I'm absolutely gutted but I think I'll have to sell.

What do you think I could sell this for and is there any interested people out there? It's in perfect condition and I've looked after it like my child.

Thanks

Kitcho

Hi

I love this tv to death and I paid around $9000 for it. I'm about to move house and the television is too big for our new living room...I'm absolutely gutted but I think I'll have to sell.

What do you think I could sell this for and is there any interested people out there? It's in perfect condition and I've looked after it like my child.

Thanks

Kitcho

Holy smokes, how did you end up paying that much for it- that's full MSRP? I don't know of any other owners here that spent that much on the 70", especially myself. I'm afraid given what I paid was under $7k- in the first month they were released, I don't hold much hope in the current climate and highly SXRD ignorant/flat panel biased market of you getting more than $2.5- $3k for it. Are you positive you don't have an area for it in your new home? Have you done proper a screen size to viewing distance calculation? A great many people overestimate their viewing distance to screen size or just think a screen is to big from a room when it isn't at all for HD viewing. I would consider selling it a last resort under these circumstances.

Hi

Thanks

Kitcho

That is alot, you paid too much.

Towards the end of their sale life, which would be around your time, I think people were paying $4.5 K and got a HD setopbox thrown in.

Thanks guy. I'm pretty sure I paid around $8500 for the panel...maybe it was $7500...I can't exactly remember.

Hmmm....if I could only get around 2-3K for it then I might look at keeping it. I'm thinking about using another room as a media room so I may be able to use it in there.

If I managed to get around 5-6K for it I would have sold it but I'm happy to keep it as long as I can make room haha!

Cheers.

Thanks guy. I'm pretty sure I paid around $8500 for the panel...maybe it was $7500...I can't exactly remember.

Hmmm....if I could only get around 2-3K for it then I might look at keeping it. I'm thinking about using another room as a media room so I may be able to use it in there.

If I managed to get around 5-6K for it I would have sold it but I'm happy to keep it as long as I can make room haha!

Cheers.

Let's hope it's just a case of misremembering what you paid. Even $7500 eight months after launch is still steep.

You could do a lot worse than using it in a media room. Mine's been in my HT/entertainment area since day one, never been used as a living room set.

$5-6k, no chance, not when they were effectively clearing out at less than $5k at the end of production.

Let's hope it's just a case of misremembering what you paid. Even $7500 eight months after launch is still steep.

You could do a lot worse than using it in a media room. Mine's been in my HT/entertainment area since day one, never been used as a living room set.

$5-6k, no chance, not when they were effectively clearing out at less than $5k at the end of production.

At the time I bought my71 inch LG for just under $3500 I could have spent another $1400 and got my hand on the 70 inch SXRD but considering the climate of dead OB type tv's getting around today would you really want to buy one. Keep it and enjoy it until it dies and after that use it outside to put your wife's pot plants inside it.