Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Just to clarify Owen the lamp started to flicker at 1800 hours. I only used 1500 hours as a guesstimate of when to change it in terms of brightness. Going from power saving to normal mode is another option. I also use low power mode so why the lamp started to fail at 1800 hours is a mystery. Ventilation around the unit is good.

Is the decrease in brightness of these lamps a radioactive decay relationship with time ?

If it is the greatest rate of change would then be early in the lamp's life cycle. Information on this is hard to find. If it is a radioactive decay relationship it would be interesting to then know what the lamp's half life is in terms of brightness.

I actually noticed this also on the bulb I just changed. The reflector material seemed to be degraded. Maybe it degrades over time with the heat.

I have a 46X3100, and recently noticed that on a bright-white background (e.g. the new Photo-Gallery that comes with the PS3 firmware 2.60), the top two corners of the screen appear a little darker than the rest of the screen.

Anyone else see this on their screen?

That sounds pretty normal to me.

Hi guys, I have a 46x lcd and this morning it decided to switch itself off and the red light flashed '10' times.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? The unit is 13 months old.

I put in a call to the service agent for HN and they advised that if it has only happened once I have a choice of either waiting until it happens again, in which case they will send someone out to look at it, or they can send someone out and now if it doesn't repeat the problem then I pay for the callout. I would have thought that a flashing red light (10 times) would have indicated a specific fault!? They stated that the unit went into 'self diagnostic' mode. Why didn't it go into 'self fix' mode me asks?!

David.

Disconnecting the power plug for a couple minutes can clear up software glitches (worked when my 46XBR was flashing 3 times). If it's more serious you'll need to get it looked at.

BTW, the TV keeps an error log (type/date) that can be accessed by the tech when it's being serviced, so there shouldn't be a need for you to prove the problem occurred.

Hi fellow bravia owners :)

I just purchased a brand new Sony 40V4100 bravia TV a week ago. It is perfect by the way. I just have a small issue. Whenever the TV is off it occasionally makes a noise. The noise is similar to when you first turn the tv on. Its hard to describe. Anyone have any idea why this happens?

thanks.

Disconnecting the power plug for a couple minutes can clear up software glitches (worked when my 46XBR was flashing 3 times). If it's more serious you'll need to get it looked at.

BTW, the TV keeps an error log (type/date) that can be accessed by the tech when it's being serviced, so there shouldn't be a need for you to prove the problem occurred.

Thanks Hui.

You've got it covered then. Not really relevant to this thread though..

Kitcho9 asked on this thread if anyone was interested.

You are right, its not relevent, but I thought i'd reply here anyway. Sorry wont happen again. :winky:

Hi fellow bravia owners :)

I just purchased a brand new Sony 40V4100 bravia TV a week ago. It is perfect by the way. I just have a small issue. Whenever the TV is off it occasionally makes a noise. The noise is similar to when you first turn the tv on. Its hard to describe. Anyone have any idea why this happens?

thanks.

If this is a clicking or creaking noise then it's probably just the casing and screen mount flexing as the unit heats/cools. This has been described elsewhere in this forum and is nothing to be concerned about. In most cases the frequency and loudness of the noise diminishes over time.

If this is a clicking or creaking noise then it's probably just the casing and screen mount flexing as the unit heats/cools. This has been described elsewhere in this forum and is nothing to be concerned about. In most cases the frequency and loudness of the noise diminishes over time.

thanks for replying I appreciate it.

I have taken a couple of images of the used lamp showing the hairline cracks in the rear reflective surface of the lamp.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...t&p=1251284

The first image only shows cracks over part of the reflective material but where they do appear they are well enhanced by sunlight. The second image is a little soft but does show the cracks all over the reflective surface.

The purple tint is also evident in both images, more so in the second image.

I'm still amazed with the difference in brightness between the old and the replacement lamp, particurally at only 1800 hours usage.

Edited by drsmith

I have taken a couple of images of the used lamp showing the hairline cracks in the rear reflective surface of the lamp.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...t&p=1251284

The first image only shows cracks over part of the reflective material but where they do appear they are well enhanced by sunlight. The second image is a little soft but does show the cracks all over the reflective surface.

The purple tint is also evident in both images, more so in the second image.

I'm still amazed with the difference in brightness between the old and the replacement lamp, particurally at only 1800 hours usage.

I'm with you drsmith, I am blown away by the brightness difference between the old and new bulb.

Just a quick question, Big Brown Box is selling the Sony 40" XBR (2007) model for $1849 which is around the same price most retailers have the Sony 40" V4000 for. Which is the best?

The KDL40V4000 has an 8-bit panel. I think the 2007 XBR has a 10-bit panel. If that's the case, I'd expect the 2007 XBR to have the better overall picture quality: 16.7 million colours vs 1.07 billion colours. Plus 8-bit panels are prone to colour banding & 10-bit panels aren't.

Thanks! Thought it may have been a problem with the panel or something. Any idea why it happens?

Pretty sure this is just uneven backlighting (corners are further away from the light behind the lcd panel)... not uncommon for all 4 corners to be a little duller than the rest - at least on the bravia's ive seen. Not really noticable unless youve got a white / uniform bright screen up = fairly unlikely during normal video viewing.

Cheers,

Bitey