Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I spoke to Sony Service who took all the details, and logged the repair with their nearest repairer.

The repairer rang me back same day, and asked I email in some photos of the fault, to possibly confirm that it is a faulty panel without the need for a visit.

They rang back the same day I sent photos in, and confirmed the panel is faulty.

They have ordered a replacement panel, which they say will take 1 to 3 weeks to arrive.

Thanks,

Do they extend the warranty by the time you were not able to use the TV? And are you happy with the outcome?

Considering Bravia myself.

Hi guys. I've been keeping track of this forum ever since I bought the 70" about 18-19 months ago. I've read a lot about all the optical block problems and was wondering if what's developed on my screen is part of the same issue.

Over the last few weeks a soft rectangular frame has developed in the centre of my screen, about 12 inches in from left and right and top and bottom. This frame is lighter in colour (like a lighter shade, blue-ish), very noticeable on dark images, but hardly so on well lit images. Inside the centre of the frame it's as dark as the outside of the frame. At the moment I'm putting up with it but I'm worried it's the seed of nastier things to come. Could it be burn in of some sort?

It's our 2nd TV set in the house and we only really use it for about an hour a night plus some PS3 gaming. So I wouldn't say it's had a great deal of day to day use. Love the TV, hope it's not on the way out.

Anybody else heard of this anomaly?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I haven't dropped in to take a look at this thread for at least 8 months but I'm happy to report that my 70" has now racked up two years of flawless performance (touch wood). I'm still using the original lamp too which is pretty impressive considering how much the display has been used.

There's been a few new technologies in that time like 100Hz (and 200Hz!) but frankly those are just gimmicks that do more harm than good so I'm glad that I didn't wait for them.

The only slight weaknesses that I've noticed are pretty much what I expected before I bought the TV - less than perfect black levels and a bit of silk screen. I don't know if the newer plasmas have drastically improved black performance but even if they have, I doubt they could compete in terms of bang for buck.

Hope everyone else is as happy as I am.

Hi guys,

The only slight weaknesses that I've noticed are pretty much what I expected before I bought the TV - less than perfect black levels and a bit of silk screen. I don't know if the newer plasmas have drastically improved black performance but even if they have, I doubt they could compete in terms of bang for buck.

Hope everyone else is as happy as I am.

Well one plasma has the the Pioneer 60" Kuro as far as blacks are concerned and the bang for bucks size wise I tend to agree with you there you are talking 70" against 60" as Owen says Bigger is Better :P

cheers laurie

HELP WITH ISSUE - HALF MY SCREEN HAS GONE DARK AND BLURRY!

Hi Guys,

Just had a problem start occuring with my Sony Bravia KDL-46X3100.

I've had the tv for about 8 months and this only started happening this week.

When the tv gets switched on, half the screen appears very dark and blurry (right hand side), yet the other half seems ok.

It is almost exacly half way along the screen. You can see the image but one half is normal and the other half dark, blurry jumpy images and the colours don't seem to be correct.

Once the tv has been on for 5 minutes or so, the dark, blurry side seems to come good.

The picture comes back to normal.

It only seems to occur when the tv is 'cold' - the picture is ok when you turning the tv off then on again straight away.

I'm going to ring Sony support first thing Monday morning. Just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.

ive got the exact same problem myself now. Im glad you got pictures, becasue im scared the problem wont replicate itself when the technician arrives.

ill just show him your pictures if that's the case.

Started occuring last week. just like yours, the screen fixes itself after a few minutes once it 'warms' up. i have the exact same tv, but i bought it in december 07.

good to hear you got it fixed with little disruption.

the nature of the fault means we can still use the TV in the meantime i guess thats lucky huh

I have a sony kdl32v400. When i turn the TV off with it left in any input besides the tuner at turn on the remote is locked (except to swith on/off), this is fixed by putting a siganal into the input the TV has selected.This never happens if there is already a signal coming through the input at switchon.Is this normal ?

ive got the exact same problem myself now. Im glad you got pictures, becasue im scared the problem wont replicate itself when the technician arrives.

ill just show him your pictures if that's the case.

Started occuring last week. just like yours, the screen fixes itself after a few minutes once it 'warms' up. i have the exact same tv, but i bought it in december 07.

good to hear you got it fixed with little disruption.

the nature of the fault means we can still use the TV in the meantime i guess thats lucky huh

Get out your digital camera and take a photo of the TV when it is misbehaving. If the the problem doesn't replicate when the technician visits, you can show him the picture!

All,

Just installed a new bulb in my 60" that was purchased from Bluestar in the US. Quick delivery and the bulb went in easy.

It is sure great to have a bright TV again. Towards the end I had the iris on MAX and the Picture control all the way up at 95% trying to squeeze the last bits from the bulb. One thing I noticed with the decaying bulb is that the off-axis viewing degraded fairly badly, but with the new bulb the set has been restored to what it once was.

I did a quick calibrate with the HD basics Blu-ray, but I'll do a complete line up in a couple of weeks when the bulb has settled down a little.

My 60' SXRD has just come up with the message that my bulb needs replacing exactly two years to the date from when I purchased it.

My question is are the XL5100 bulbs from Bluestar International the correct ones too use ? as I don't want to purchase the incorrect bulbs. The price difference between Bluestar and Australian suppliers is staggering. Also did anybody have any hassles ordering from Bluestar.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

We'll I'm somewhat sad to say, it looks like I'm going to be moving on my 70" shortly. After toying with the idea for years, I'm going up the SXRD ladder and finally biting the bullet to go front projection. I was offered another VPL-VW80 at pre price-rise cost and at just over $5k which I couldn't resist. I then had to decide what I was going to do with it. So I mulled it over for a while and decided what the heck, it's probably about time I'm able to enjoy a larger screen front projector setup at home instead of only when I'm away at my weekender. I've got a couple of weeks left with the 70", but it's going to be sad moving her on when the time comes.

My Bravia 46x3100 died today with the standby light flashing 13 times in sequence. Anyone know what the 13 blinks stands for?

It's just over a year old so I'm glad I paid out for the extended warranty..phew.

Turned it back on at the set today..light starts blinking 3 times in sequence...turn it on at the remote and it fires up straight away :huh:

Haven't turned it off yet, just in case, but will now that the footy's over ;)

Turned it back on at the set today..light starts blinking 3 times in sequence...turn it on at the remote and it fires up straight away :huh:

Haven't turned it off yet, just in case, but will now that the footy's over ;)

Others have experienced this - it's an indication of error. Search these forums and AVS for "Sony Bravia blink" and to find what the error code is.

Others have experienced this - it's an indication of error. Search these forums and AVS for "Sony Bravia blink" and to find what the error code is.

Been there, done that and the only result I got from googling was...

A 13 flash shutdown is known as a balancer error and is most often caused by a bad panel. Have you had the LCD panel replaced in your set? Also, was your service done by a Sony platinum servicer? A Sony platinum servicer is required to be up to date on all training AND is required to have a high customer staifaction rating. I would start by contacting Sony customer servicer (I know you have already done this at least once) and ask them if they have a platinum servicer in your area. If your LCD panel has not been replaced, that is the first thing that should be done. I know of NO software upgrade available to fix a 13 flash shutdown. There are several software upgrades for your TV but NONE are listed to fix a 13 flash shutdown. I fix Sony TV's everyday and I will try to assist you in any way I can.

It's a different model but still a KLD and, considering it's back up and running again, doesn't really tell me a lot.

I was actually wondering last night whether it was a "fail safe" high humidty shutdown as that is the case here in Brisbane atm.

HELP WITH ISSUE - HALF MY SCREEN HAS GONE DARK AND BLURRY!

Hi Guys,

Just had a problem start occuring with my Sony Bravia KDL-46X3100.

I've had the tv for about 8 months and this only started happening this week.

When the tv gets switched on, half the screen appears very dark and blurry (right hand side), yet the other half seems ok.

It is almost exacly half way along the screen. You can see the image but one half is normal and the other half dark, blurry jumpy images and the colours don't seem to be correct.

Once the tv has been on for 5 minutes or so, the dark, blurry side seems to come good.

The picture comes back to normal.

It only seems to occur when the tv is 'cold' - the picture is ok when you turning the tv off then on again straight away.

Any ideas?

Here are some pics to show you what it looks like (watching American Pie on TV)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070320.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070321.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070322.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070319.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070318.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/m...cc/P1070317.jpg

I'm going to ring Sony support first thing Monday morning. Just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.

**UPDATE**

Still waiting for my panel to be replaced - has now been nearly 2 months!!

Got a call from European Electronics (repairer for Sony) yesterday saying the new panel has arrived and will be installed Wednesday next week.

Woke up this morning and turned the tv on - panel is now completely stuffed!!

It just shows random colours and patches. There is no image at all.

Very disappointed with Sony and their authorised repairer.

I've rang them every two weeks saying the tv it was getting progressively worse and now it's kuput.

Sony will be getting a very firm letter coming to them soon :(

I have tried to search but I have not had much luck. The following is a description of my problem. If there is already a thread or post about this, please direct me to the correct place. Thanks in advance.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46V2500 with a very strange problem that started happening about a week ago. When I turn on the TV, the left half of the screen look strange but the right half looks normal. The best way I can describe the left side is that it looks the same way a computer monitor looks before a video driver is installed and the resolution and color are both bad. After 15 minutes to an hour (it varies) once the television has been on, everything reverts back to normal. So it appears the TV has to ''warm up'' before it starts working again. I purchased the TV in January 2008, so it is just over year old. I have even tired separate input sources, both HDMI and component but the problem persisted with each type of connection. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are some pictures since that might help:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Edited by aristile

Picked up a KDL40E4500 on Friday from Harvey Normal Queen St for $2394 plus the 5 year extended warranty for $219. About average price I think. Got a bit of a discount on the 5 year warranty.

First impression after getting it home was the significant patchy backlight bleed. Was pretty dissapointed, but after reading this review he's said that he had a similar problem and turned down the backlight setting which mostly fixed it. So I'm in the middle of testing that. Loving the picture and the look of the unit though.

Been there, done that and the only result I got from googling was...

It's a different model but still a KLD and, considering it's back up and running again, doesn't really tell me a lot.

I was actually wondering last night whether it was a "fail safe" high humidty shutdown as that is the case here in Brisbane atm.

Yup you found it:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?to...21&forum=70

KDL- Bravia blink codes (Australian):

2 times-Main power supply voltage error (12V, etc)

3 times-Malfunction of 3.3V line

4 times-Malfunction of 5V line

(Voltage Supply to FE, etc)

5 times-Malfunction of power supply for screen

6 times-Malfunction of inverter or overcurrent, etc

7 times-Abnormal temperature inside unit

8 times-Audio circuit error (amplifier, etc.)

9 times-Fan malfunction

10 times- Digital FE circuit error

11 times-Malfunction of Trident IC or around IC

12 times-BH board error

13 times -Malfunction of balancer

...and with this information the authorised repairer should be able to bring the right part (a balancer?) along or advise you of the likely delay.

PS: Apparently a current balancer is a component in the backlight system.

Edited by LaserSage

Yup you found it:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?to...21&forum=70

KDL- Bravia blink codes (Australian):

2 times-Main power supply voltage error (12V, etc)

3 times-Malfunction of 3.3V line

4 times-Malfunction of 5V line

(Voltage Supply to FE, etc)

5 times-Malfunction of power supply for screen

6 times-Malfunction of inverter or overcurrent, etc

7 times-Abnormal temperature inside unit

8 times-Audio circuit error (amplifier, etc.)

9 times-Fan malfunction

10 times- Digital FE circuit error

11 times-Malfunction of Trident IC or around IC

12 times-BH board error

13 times -Malfunction of balancer

...and with this information the authorised repairer should be able to bring the right part (a balancer?) along or advise you of the likely delay.

PS: Apparently a current balancer is a component in the backlight system.

Ahhh, cool...thanks for that info.

I haven't cancelled the tech yet as I want to talk to him to see whether he thinks the problem may resurface even thoiugh the tv is going fine now.