Music and Concert Blu-ray Recommendations & Discussion

OK, the son of George Martin is not like his father.

The "1+" Blu Ray is NOT recommended.

Video footage is poor...maybe one of 2 are good enough for Blu Ray, the rest are pretty poor.

The most disappointing is the sound.  Nothing like the surround mix found in the Beatles movies.  Some 5.1 channels even sounded MONO.  This effort is poorly executed, nothing like the "Love" multichannel sound.

(Audio)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the son of George Martin is not like his father.

The "1+" Blu Ray is NOT recommended.

Video footage is poor...maybe one of 2 are good enough for Blu Ray, the rest are pretty poor.

The most disappointing is the sound.  Nothing like the surround mix found in the Beatles movies.  Some 5.1 channels even sounded MONO.  This effort is poorly executed, nothing like the "Love" multichannel sound.

(Audio)

That's not good...considering the mix is treated with high-res at 96 Khz some more. Thanks for the heads-up.

Miriam Yeung's Let's Begin concert is just for rabid fans. I am just a casual fan, more of a fan of her movie exploits, but I do like her mid-tempo songs. Anyway I found myself skipping her fast numbers. But this concert blu-ray now holds a special spot for me. I have been itching to go to Madonna's Rebel Heart concert but the biggest obstacle is not the distance or the money.  It's my wife. Everyday I had to chocho her to go with me (going without her is not an option). Finally a few weeks later I put on Miriam Yeung on the big screen and right at a segment where she was really into it I popped the question again. She said yes. Thank you, Miriam. Of course, getting the tickets was also quite an adventure. Bangkok here we come!

One of my fave singer-songwriters. Jackson Browne may be in his 60s and his voice has a reedy and hard edge, but his honesty still shines through and true. His songs are a comfortable blend of contemporary pop and country. His lyrics are the stuff of life lessons and sad histories. I love concerts like these - small, intimate, no fanfare, just an honest baring of soul. The sound is only Dolby TruHD stereo but the music is so good that it didn't bother me.

WEB Bro If you love Jackson Browne like I do, the " Going Home" DVD  is much better. One of my fav music DVDs.

First time watched Jeff Lynne's Electric Light Orchestra performed live in Hyde Park this year. Despite it was an open air concert, the sound quality was not too bad.

I got this.....but it's funny, I think the Zoom concert is better.  It's DVD resolution but the sound is pretty solid.

(Audio)

Zoom was recorded in studio so the concert was easier to stage.  Disappointed that he sang only one track from my favorite album Discovery.

I got this.....but it's funny, I think the Zoom concert is better.  It's DVD resolution but the sound is pretty solid.

(Audio)

Sodagreen - Live in Nalepa with the GermanPops Orchestra. This is the blu-ray that accompanies the Winter Endless music album. This is the long awaited final album for Sodagreen's Vivaldi series where each album is crafted to a season. In the lavished and intimate concert, Sodagreen performed all the songs in sequential order together with an accomplished orchestra. There are some standout tracks like 下雨的夜晚 which is sitting on the top of our local music charts. The album is a grower and one would need a few listens to appreciate the craft. But it really helped to see how Sodagreen performed the tracks together with an orchestra. This one is for fans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Anathema - A Sort of Homecoming

I am latecomer to Anathema's anthemic music and missed some of their earlier DVD-A issues. What a band! This acoustic concert recorded live at Liverpool Cathedral on 7th March 2015 is a great entry point for anyone unfamiliar with their epic music. Don't believe me? Just check out the first song.

Really... I will wait for you. Just check it out. Don't read any further.

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/7D7di-rrVdE[/embed]

I don't know about you but I love it. Lee Douglas' ethereal voice really hits the spot. The music defies words to describe. I think this is music God would approve and cry to. I know the entire concert is on YouTube in HD but the sonics isn't. Of all the concert blu-s I have in my collection, this one is definitely in my Top 5. Absolutely, ravishingly and heavenly magnificent in DTS-HD-MA 5.1. The sound mix is stupendous. This is stuff you feel like upgrading your equipment just so you do justice to the performance. I highly recommend the boxset which is only available at Burning Shed or just get the blu-ray off Amazon UK.

• 4 weeks later...

Stay away from this one. I count myself a Alanis Morissette fan but this latest concert just didn't cut it. Her voice is still recognisable but no where near where it was used to be. Not much change-ups to the arrangements of her staple anthems that leaned heavily on Jagged Little Pill, her bread and butter probably. But her stage presence is just awful. Seeing her walk the stage from left to right and repeat for all duration of the concert is just ridiculously lame. The PQ and SQ aren't great either. Skip this! Even if you are a fan, skip this!

'Knebworth' - a new word I learned in 1990. What a concert! I remember seeing on Channel 5 and it gave me a huge high. This is a SD Blu-ray and I am under no illusion that the PQ and SQ would be stellar and it isn't. Perhaps because my expectations are low, I did find it acceptable. I quickly track into some of my favourite tracks and by golly I was harkened back to the year of 1990. That year was my Woodstock moment!

I am latecomer to Anathema's anthemic music and missed some of their earlier DVD-A issues. What a band! This acoustic concert recorded live at Liverpool Cathedral on 7th March 2015 is a great entry point for anyone unfamiliar with their epic music. Don't believe me? Just check out the first song.

I don't know about you but I love it. Lee Douglas' ethereal voice really hits the spot. The music defies words to describe. I think this is music God would approve and cry to. I know the entire concert is on YouTube in HD but the sonics isn't. Of all the concert blu-s I have in my collection, this one is definitely in my Top 5. Absolutely, ravishingly and heavenly magnificent in DTS-HD-MA 5.1. The sound mix is stupendous. This is stuff you feel like upgrading your equipment just so you do justice to the performance. I highly recommend the boxset which is only available at Burning Shed or just get the blu-ray off Amazon UK.

I'm surprised u never bgt the earlier Anathema dvdas, i got introduced to the band by nalfgar quite some time back.

The DTS HD MSTR mix indeed awesome... But for those with Atmos/DTS X Receiver... Avoid using Neural X up mixing for the DTS HD MSTR track... U will lose out a huge amount of bass and the up mixing by Neural X really screw up the entire Soundstage... So pls make sure to select the vanilla DTS HD MSTR track to avoid disappointment. Sadly there is no Dolby Truehd track for this one...i have always preferred DSU up mixing for concert.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk