Marantz AV Owners Thread

Dun think the pre and power will reach our shores just yet. It's on pre-order in the US. Discussions in AVSforum seem to point out that it's a 8002 in a different shell. Well, the verdict's still out on whether this is true as all comments were based on the instruction manual interpretations. No one actually has done a review on it yet.

yeah me thinks so too it will be sometimes before it reach here but but but how bout this  ??? :-

The official blurb:

MARANTZ MAKES STREAMING A/V AND SUPERB AUDIO PERFORMANCE MORE ACCESSIBLE

THX-Certified AV8003 Networking A/V Pre Amp; MM8003 Power Amplifier   

Written by dba     

Tuesday, 10 June 2008 

MAHWAH, NJ, June 10, 2008 – Marantz America, a renowned manufacturer of advanced home entertainment solutions, today announced that its AV8003 Networking A/V Preamplifier (SRP: $2,599.99) and MM8003 Multi-Channel Power Amplifier (SRP: $2,399.99) are available to retailers, providing elegant solutions for streaming high-quality audio and video throughout the home and powering 7.1- or 5.1-channel home entertainment systems, respectively. Featuring brand new chassis designs and a host of advanced features and capabilities, both innovative products give discriminating consumers exciting new solutions for expanding and enhancing their enjoyment of home entertainment, including today’s advanced high-resolution audio and video formats.

AV8003: Multi-Zone Processor and Controller Offers Streaming A/V Capability

The Marantz AV8003 Networking A/V Preamplifier is a THX-Certified, 1080p scaling, multi-source/multi-zone processor that provides users with an easy way to distribute ultimate-quality audio and video entertainment to three separate zones within the home. Thanks to its built-in digital media player, the AV8003 allows users to stream audio and high-definition video throughout their home via an Ethernet port from a networked PC. Marantz’ first built-in video scaler enables enhanced video performance with upconversion and scaling to 1080p from all analog and digital sources and it features a host of today’s most advanced audio and video processing technologies, including HDMI Version 1.3a (4-in/2-out), plus Dolby True HD, dts HD Master Audio, Deep Color and more. In addition, it is HD, XM, and Sirius Radio ready (subscription required for XM and Sirius) and includes a built-in digital media player with Ethernet capability for streaming Audio and video content throughout a networked home.

For ease of setup and enhanced performance, the AV8003 features HDMI 1.3 repeating capability, eliminating signal loss and allowing it to repeat 1080p video signals from HDMI input to HDMI output, as well as decode a variety of audio signals via HDMI.

With its copper plated chassis and distinctive new styling, based on Marantz’ award winning Reference chassis, the no-compromise AV8003 Reference Preamplifier echoes the renowned voice of the company’s founder, Saul Marantz. For total connectivity flexibility, the AV8003 features XLR Pre Output terminals, XLR audio inputs for SA-CD, Component Video outputs for multi-room, RS-232c, Direct IR Inputs and DC Triggers.

MM8003: Ideal for Use With Either 7.1- or 5.1-Channel Systems

The MM8003 is a 140 watt x 8 channel power amp that follows closely in the footsteps of Marantz’ highly acclaimed PM-11S1 and the SR9600. Combining the best sonic features of those products along with new flexibility such as 8-channels, XLR input terminals, output channel relay on/off control and slow start to power-on as well as the beautiful new chassis, the MM8003 is ideal for meeting the demands of any multi-channel home theater system, including both 7.1-channel and 5.1-channel systems. (In the case of 5.1-channel systems, the additional channels may be used for “vertical bi-amping,” which provides the ultimate level of dynamics, bass response and sheer presence.)

For accurate tonal and image balance, speed and dynamics with very low distortion, the MM8803 features a massive audiophile-grade toroidal transformer, custom filter capacitors, hand-selected customized components throughout, copper chassis and ultra-wide bandwidth current feedback technology. The combination of these audio-enhancing features results in music reproduction that captures the essence of each recording or movie soundtrack, with every sonic nuance audible in a rich, enveloping soundstage. Boasting 140 watts per channel, the MM8003 will provide clean and stable power to any speaker package available.

I know a few bros waiting for this, although it is now in SG yet...

Ok since quite a few bros who's waiting for this here's a review of it.

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=24531&start=0&rid=6&SQ=1214067606

Surround processing

The 8003 decodes every codec known to man, the one thing I will miss however is my Lexicons Logic 7 mode. Or so I thought.

The 8003 is equipped with SRS's latest 'Circle Surround 2' (or CSII). In all honesty I was reluctant to even try CSII because I'd lost my beloved logic 7 and thought I'd never be able to replace it with anything as good again so CSII was literally the last thing I tried last night before I packed it in for the night. I'd recorded a few Jools Holland bits in stereo on HD and thought I'd give it a go. I hit CSII music mode (there is cinema mode too) and OH MY GOD!!!! What the hell is this?!!! At one point I had to do a double take at the units front panel display to make sure I wasn't listening to dolby digital by mistake.

To say I was surprised is a total understatement. And you know what?, this was with out-of-the-box settings. Like Logic 7, CSII on the 8003 can be configured to the taste of the listener with less or more active surround, bass etc etc. Now that CSII has got my attention I'm going to spend more time on it to see how much I can drag out of it.

Next up, I thought I'd go to the other extreme and have a go at DTS HD Master. HD Master is a lossless bit for bit copy of the original. I'd tried it via my Denon 4308 and it was pretty impressive. Whilst the 4308 impressed, the 8003 completely blew me away.

The helicopter machine gun chase followed by the tunnel sequence in the latest Die Hard movie is a tour de force of sound direction. This 4-5 minute spell courtesy of the AV8003 is quite simply sensational. I have never experienced a sonic soundscape quite like this from any surround processor. Steering from speaker to speaker in all directions was superfast, hugely dynamic and whats more it was all totally seamless. It was as if I had a dozens of speakers placed in a circular array around me with no gaps between them. The 8003's surround sound abilities took my breath away.

We had a few friends over on Saturday evening while I was testing the 8003 and I decided to give them a demo of this scene. As one of the cars in the tunnel crashes at speed and does a multiple side flip finally crashing over the top of Bruce Willis who is protected by cars either side of him, we could feel the air swirling and pulsating round the room created by the flying spinning car. This final crash landing had our friends cowering head in hands in an effort to protect themselves from the crashing car. As it lands, the crescendo of smashing metal and glass is just terrifying at reference levels, absolutely awesome through the 8003.

I am currently without my Moon Equinox CD player which is out on loan to a customer and will report back on the machines 2 channel abilities when it is returned. For now, I am still in shock at what Marantz have achieved at this price point.

In my view the AV 8003 is pound for pound the best value in AV hardware I've seen for many years. Marantz will need to turn up production numbers quickly as its clear there will be huge demand for this product. In fact there already is!

But be aware u need to buy the accompanying amp if u don't already own a multichannel amp

cause there is no speaker output it's just a processor.

Tasty as all that looks, not for me then.  I just want a single receiver, not ready to play in the separates pool yet (can't afford either...)

Tasty as all that looks, not for me then.  I just want a single receiver, not ready to play in the separates pool yet (can't afford either...)

I know what u mean that's why i've settled for the cheaper SR7002.

That AV8003 alone cost more than the SR8002.

On another note regarding biamping the fronts speakers on the SR7002,

i've found that the surround back will be disabled when the 'speaker C' switch is set to on.

So do take note for those that run a 7.1 setup you'll lose the two back speakers.

Thanks to the forum members and especially to D.G. for this inspiring thread, I took the plunge into HT. Following is my first ever setup and at heart of it is the Marantz SR7002 :

Sub = Velodyne CHT-12R Sub

L + R = B&W 602S3 ( yes old stuff, but I picked the last black ones on the market months ago )

Center = B&W LCR600 ( again got the last black one for a good price )

Rear = None :( We live in an apartment so I couldn't convince the CFO to get big floorstanders for the fronts, the grand plan is to get decent floorstanding fronts later and make the 602S3 our rear speakers.

DVD = Oppo 983H - Yay, I finally got one from the US site after waiting for months !

CD player = Marantz CC4001 ( I know, old fashoin suff but I like loading 5 disks & not touch it for hours while I work away )

And I have the Marantz iPod dock on order.

Plasma = Got very lucky to get one of the very few of the first Panasonic 46' PZ800 that got out this wknd :)

I have only had the above up & running for a couple of days now and have quickly realised that HT setup is an ocean but I don't know how to swim ! So, I have lots to learn about the setup but we did manage to watch the Transformers DVD over the weekend and both PQ & SQ were simply breath-taking.

Very happy & Keep posting - Cheers

ritesh

On another note regarding biamping the fronts speakers on the SR7002,

i've found that the surround back will be disabled when the 'speaker C' switch is set to on.

So do take note for those that run a 7.1 setup you'll lose the two back speakers.

I guess that means the receiver only has 7 channels of amplification.  No problem for me, I only run 5.1 anyway.  For that matter, does this apply to the 8002?  Although again, no diff to me since I only have 5.1.

I guess that means the receiver only has 7 channels of amplification.  No problem for me, I only run 5.1 anyway.  For that matter, does this apply to the 8002?  Although again, no diff to me since I only have 5.1.

I should think so as the user manual is meant for both 7002/8002.

A bit dissappointed cause wanted to run bi-amp and a 7.1 setup guess u can't have both.

I should think so as the user manual is meant for both 7002/8002.

A bit dissappointed cause wanted to run bi-amp and a 7.1 setup guess u can't have both.

Actually, there is a compromise for power out to 5.1 and 7.1:

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 93 watts (19.7 dBW)

7 channels driven (8 ohms): 83 watts (19.2 dBW)

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2753/marantz-sr7002-av-receiver-test-bench-page3.html

So may be in Stereo without biamp, 2 channel will driven at 110 watts. With biamp for 2 channel, the power will drop. I think this is quite common for AV receiver.

Please correct me if I am wrong. ;)

.....For that matter, does this apply to the 8002?  Although again, no diff to me since I only have 5.1.

It is the same to SR8002, according to the User Manual, though it has an extra Speaker B (aka Multi Room B). It doesn't allow you to turn Speaker A and B at the same time. You can only choose Speaker A (Multi Room A) or Speaker B (Multi Room B).

This is indeed a common thing for many recievers.

Even for THX Ultra certified amps, not many can double their output for 4 ohms impedence. Driving 2 sets of speakers is not easy as this lowers the impedence and requires the power supply to increase the current.

When the specs list >100 watts per channel, for most amps, I take it with a large pinch of salt. It is not easy to get that kind of power when all 7 channels are driven, esp w/o a subwoofer to take on the low frequencies.

Remember at the end of the day, these are still closer to the mid-low range of amps.

When you reach the MM 8003 power amp, or the THX Ultra series, which have a bigger power supply, capacitors etc, then things get more powerful

For what it does, the price performance of the 8002 / 7002 is impressive, but within its limits. A simple power amp upgrade like what Dandon etc are doing will bring things to a different plane.

On another topic,

A bro in the FAQ section posted that his Sherwood reciever was not up to scratch, anyone tested the tuner section of the X002 series?

Actually, there is a compromise for power out to 5.1 and 7.1:

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 93 watts (19.7 dBW)

7 channels driven (8 ohms): 83 watts (19.2 dBW)

So may be in Stereo without biamp, 2 channel will driven at 110 watts. With biamp for 2 channel, the power will drop. I think this is quite common for AV receiver.

Please correct me if I am wrong. ;)

It is the same to SR8002, according to the User Manual, though it has an extra Speaker B (aka Multi Room B). It doesn't allow you to turn Speaker A and B at the same time. You can only choose Speaker A (Multi Room A) or Speaker B (Multi Room B).

You guys don't get me i'm not concern about the power given out.

Actually I'm ok with the power.

What i'm trying to get at is that

running the 7002 in biamp mode for the fronts does not allow you

to run  the back surrounds (7.1 setup).

For clarity here goes :-

4 channels of amplification is used for the fronts L/R speakers.

(1 for LF , 1 for HF left front speaker)(1 for LF , 1 for HF right front speaker)

1 channel amplification for center speaker.

2 channels amplification for surround L/R speakers.

That's make a total of  7 channels amplification of for a 5.1 setup with biamping the fronts,

making a 7.1 setup with biamping the fronts impossible be it whatever power is given out

unless some user here can show me some other way out less buying another amp.

On another topic,

A bro in the FAQ section posted that his Sherwood reciever was not up to scratch, anyone tested the tuner section of the X002 series?

For the tuner section it's all fine and quite good i might add.

Thanks to the forum members and especially to D.G. for this inspiring thread, I took the plunge into HT. Following is my first ever setup and at heart of it is the Marantz SR7002 :

L + R = B&W 602S3 ( yes old stuff, but I picked the last black ones on the market months ago )

Rear = None :( We live in an apartment so I couldn't convince the CFO to get big floorstanders for the fronts, the grand plan is to get decent floorstanding fronts later and make the 602S3 our rear speakers.

DVD = Oppo 983H - Yay, I finally got one from the US site after waiting for months !

CD player = Marantz CC4001 ( I know, old fashoin suff but I like loading 5 disks & not touch it for hours while I work away )

Plasma = Got very lucky to get one of the very few of the first Panasonic 46' PZ800 that got out this wknd :)

I have only had the above up & running for a couple of days now and have quickly realised that HT setup is an ocean but I don't know how to swim ! So, I have lots to learn about the setup but we did manage to watch the Transformers DVD over the weekend and both PQ & SQ were simply breath-taking.

ritesh

U wont go wrong with the Oppo.. Never have I seen DVD's look that good in combination with my Sony 52 inch W series LCD! The 602's will sound awesome along with the Marantz. Heard that setup years ago with the 603's and 602's combo with a Marantz SR703...magnificent.

I had connected my 7002 with 7.1 to try out and forgo bi-amp for L/R. Probably I would get another identical power amp to bi-amp for L/R.  :P

I might go down that route maybe.......

The only question is will the X002 still give out sound for the two fronts

if the front pre out was used or will it cut off the sound?

Going to have to test this.

Anyway do tell how you intend on the hook-up and test it out if you decide

to buy the power amp for biamping.

Just a quick Q about the 7002, I'm looking for an AVR that I can connect a Mac mini to via DVI to HDMI and the HDMI from the AVR to the display. Are any issues with the 7002 passing through this type of signal including a 1080p signal from the mac mini?

Any experiences of current owners who have a similar set up would be most helpful.

Thanks

Pioneer LX60, Yamaha 1800, Marantz 7002 - I just can't decide, NAD 775 way to expensive.

ritesh

Very similar setup to my own (see link in sig).

Very nice

Just a quick Q about the 7002, I'm looking for an AVR that I can connect a Mac mini to via DVI to HDMI and the HDMI from the AVR to the display. Are any issues with the 7002 passing through this type of signal including a 1080p signal from the mac mini?

Any experiences of current owners who have a similar set up would be most helpful.

Thanks

Pioneer LX60, Yamaha 1800, Marantz 7002 - I just can't decide, NAD 775 way to expensive.

Ive got my macbook outputting 720p to my sr8002 then to my display (macbook can only go up to 1080i but 7/8002s have 1080p passthrough)

Heh, "armoury's Marantz receiver is changing call sign: SR8200 is now... SR8002!"

Just hooked it up, but haven't had time to calibrate it at all -- even speaker distances -- and only played some stuff to make sure it was all connected and would play.

David Gilmour live at Royal Albert Hall (BD) sounded AMAZING.  So did Blade Runner (BD).  And they looked amazing passed-through the receiver, so no real issue there either -- I now finally have a 'switch' to handle my different HDMI sources, since my Pio 434 only has one input.

That sure is one mutha of a manual to read through.  Guess it will take a while before I sort everything out, especially since I want to bi-amp as well and I've never done that before.  Fortunately I already have bi-amp speaker cable to hand so that's one less thing to acquire, but I do need to buy a new 9V battery for my SPL meter.

Heh, "armoury's Marantz receiver is changing call sign: SR8200 is now... SR8002!"

Just hooked it up, but haven't had time to calibrate it at all -- even speaker distances -- and only played some stuff to make sure it was all connected and would play.

David Gilmour live at Royal Albert Hall (BD) sounded AMAZING.  So did Blade Runner (BD).  And they looked amazing passed-through the receiver, so no real issue there either -- I now finally have a 'switch' to handle my different HDMI sources, since my Pio 434 only has one input.

That sure is one mutha of a manual to read through.  Guess it will take a while before I sort everything out, especially since I want to bi-amp as well and I've never done that before.  Fortunately I already have bi-amp speaker cable to hand so that's one less thing to acquire, but I do need to buy a new 9V battery for my SPL meter.

Finally got yourself armed eh  :)

Do you run any DVD-A/SACD stuff or any analog 5.1?

If you do don't forget to calibrate ur 7.1 direct channel in too.

The 7.1 direct channel in ' trim ' adjustment is more rougher as it

goes +/- 1db unlike the speaker setup trim adjustment which is finer (+/- 0.5db)

And the manual just looks thick as it's in several languages.

Good luck playing with ur new toy and enjoy 8)

Need to check with bros over here,If i wish to prevent my SR7001 from video converting the video signal send by my DVD player, is it by changing the I/P into disenable mode or .......?Pls help,thank

The function of the I/P convert is to convert 480i Interlace signals to 480p progressive ('ON' setting)

and output it via HDMI or Analog out connection(monitor out).

If not ur amp will just act like a switch...meaning no conversion is done.

So the the setting for I/P convert does'nt really matter if ur not running 480i signals.

The function of the I/P convert is to convert 480i Interlace signals to 480p progressive ('ON' setting)

and output it via HDMI or Analog out connection(monitor out).

If not ur amp will just act like a switch...meaning no conversion is done.

So the the setting for I/P convert does'nt really matter if ur not running 480i signals.

I Bro, if i want my bypass my SR 7001 video processing,how should i do it.  The reason why i ask,is because i will be using oppo dv983 and they r using better video prcessing interface than marantz 7001,hence i do not want my Sr7001 to ruin my PQ.