Analog Instruments tonearm from New Zealand

Doc ,do this is going to be the test arm on the Dr56 :)

Cheers

Will find out when it gets here, but me thinks it wont be embarrassed at all, speedy said it took about 15min to setup and going for that footage a Cobra has taken up to 3hr's setup in the past no what I'd rather do with that time listen.

There is a vast difference in build but I wounder do we actually hear it all in the total sum, PU7 has a quick setup time as well in comparison.

Edited by Dr Good Vibe

Nice looking tonearm.

Listening to the vid the music is coming through very bright (and detailed) is that normal when demonstrating a tonearm? Or is that just what it exposed to sound like. Forgive my ignorance.

Hi Paul, your dead right:) it is coming through bright on that video. I've swapped back to the Dayens Ampino and it's well balanced like the prototype and sounds great.

It's funny because even though it sounds a bit more detailed, it doesn't sound bright in the real environment. I put it down to my 300B amp I bought last week. It's brand new and since I been in the garage for the last few weeks I haven't had a chance to play around with it so it's very low houred.

The Cart is brand new too (got it with the amp) and has less than 10 hours on it and haven't had a chance to play around with loading (only 47K), I put in a set of EH 6SN7's in the amp yesterday and they are a bit hard too. The Tung-sol tube from the pre-Russian days are way more smooth.

It probably doesn't help that that video shows the first song played on a freshly soldered arm too. I think all the planets aligned to show a bad video. I really should have listened to it before putting it on but was in a hurry because I got called out to work. I'll put another up tomorrow showing how it should sound with the Dayens and a cart I know well, the Clearaudio Symphony. I'll set the VTA properly too:)

Sorry about the quality of the video, I'm slowly learning the do's and don'ts of good business practises. Bad videos of your products are a big don't:)

Cheers James.

Hi Tax, 296mm Approx.... depending on the mounting arrangement of your cart. Fixed effective length (measured by yourself) and variable P2S found of a table in the user manual. easy!

Cheers James.

Thanks James!

Well a quick sneak at it in the door now, packed really well, Apparition 12 Tonearm User Guide this must have taken James quite some time to put together, very well done and pic's nearly 12 pages of great how to setup spec's and care of the arm even the up grade path on arm wire. Wow I've yet to see an arm manufacture supply this amount of info.

Two bubble wrapped packages, one finger lift and Allen key taped to the outside, just unwrapped the wand lovely piece of work great finish James.

So some pic's gee bloody what I do for you guys.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39294[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39295[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39296[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39297[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39298[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39299[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39300[/ATTACH]

Hopefully will be running a PU7 shortly Mendo:)

Hi Dr Good Vibe.

I hope the PU7 works as well for you as it does for me.

I initially had some teething problems using my retipped Monster Cable ?-Genesis 1000 on it, as this cartridge is so extraordinarily light (under 5 grams!). I needed to use an extra headshell weight and lighter counterweight, both supplied by Johnny via Mendo, and a heavier anti-skate weight supplied by Johnny.

I've now installed my Soundsmith-retipped Shelter 501 Mk2 and gone back to all the standard weights. Very nice indeed.

Johnny says the PU7's anti-skate mechanism is remarkably forgiving. Fundamentally I don't want to believe him, as I'm used to major sound differences with minor anti-skate adjustment, but so far, my experience with the PU7 is as Johnny says. Within reason, sliding the anti-skate weight to almost anywhere on the anti-skate pin has little if any audible effect on the superb stereo image and soundstage. I don't know how he has done this.

I'd be very interested to know your impressions using one of your outstanding cartridges.

Regards

Warren