Ceiling Based Dolby Atmos - You did it, was it worth it?

5 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I'll advise against it..

either go for 5.1 or go full hog and get 7.1.4 

The rear back has a lot less info, and now more resources are being devoted to the Atmos channels as it becomes more 'sexy'...

If I only had enough coin for a limited number of channels, I'll go 5.1 or  5.2.4

I think I’m my situation it will be a case of unless I can get rears lower in the room (most likely on stands), I won’t bother with Atmos. 

Main thing for me will be to nail the front stage with power and quality, the effects will come second.

3 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

I’ve just finally purchased my first Elektra HD2 7 ch power amp and I would love a Dirac based processor but the $$$ will probably foil that unless I go with an AVR as pre which if it’s a 9ch has the benefit of powering the .4 speakers.

What is your budget? Some options to consider:

• NAD T758V3 is relatively cheap
  • Anthem MRX 740 has assignable amplifiers
  • Used Anthem AVM 60 - lots of people upgrading to newer AVM 70

If getting AVR, ideally, amps are assignable, ideally to the speakers which are not powered by your Elektra.  I rate Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction as equal best.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

What is your budget? Some options to consider:

• NAD T758V3 is relatively cheap
  • Anthem MRX 740 has assignable amplifiers
  • Used Anthem AVM 60 - lots of people upgrading to newer AVM 70

If getting AVR, ideally, amps are assignable, ideally to the speakers which are not powered by your Elektra.  I rate Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction as equal best.

thanks Snoop.

Budget will be up to $3k for the pre pro plus any additional amps if required, I  won’t be buying until later this year given it’s not guaranteed I’ll be going Atmos in that room, will need to get in to the house and see what can be done.

If staying 5.1 and my CXR200 just had a full suite of pre-outs I’d happily keep it if I wasn’t going Atmos, sounds great to my ears without any eq apart from the sub eq I run.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I rate Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction as equal best.

Running Dirac on the Nad c658 has certainly made me a believer that’s for sure, and keeping both eq options the same will help my brain from hurting too I’m sure!

• Haha 1

The NAD T758v3 would fit budget and Dirac requirements. You can use your Elektra 5 channels to drive the front 3 speakers and 2 Atmos ceiling. The T758v3 would then do the rears and 2 Atmos ceiling.

Both Pioneer and Onkyo will be putting out AVRs with Dirac Live mid year, so more options to explore.

• Like 1

I am very happy that I went with a 7.1.4 setup. What others say about the atmos being a bit lacklustre is true in some sense, but not really accurate in my view. To me the subtle atmos effect in most titles completes the sound image and is more tasteful. When you first setup the system you expect alot of sound to come out, and it does for some titles which is fun, but soon it becomes distracting and a bit of a gimmick. 

If you listen to the atmos track on the 4K version of The Matrix series, you get a very good idea of how atmos is used tastefully and effectively.

• Like 1

My ceiling speakers were installed on Thursday and I finally got time to re-run calibration with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app. 

I 'cheated' and set the new speakers as 'height' not 'ceiling' so that I could try out Auro-3D as well as Atmos and Neural-X, and Multi-Channel. 

Tested with Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max Fury Road. 

Real wow factor from the Atmos audio tracks on both movies It was good before but great now.

Like others have remarked, it is a cumulative gain from the ceiling speakers to enhance the sound stage.
Count me in as convert - I better be after all this investment. 

Edited by kiwimeat
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Love 1