Record Flattening

2 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

however - I just can't recommend oven heat as an approach.  I think you could easy get 50 degrees with two pieces of glass and a hot day on the patio without risking the above.  In my defense I am an impatient idiot and figured if a little heat is good, lots of heat would be MOAR GOOD AND FASTER. 

Tried this in Brisbane and I am imagining it got a lot hotter than 50% as the record ended up oval !!! ?  

• Like 1

Here’s a thought, maybe a touch on the mad scientist side, has anyone vacuum sealed a record in a food vacbag and heated it with a sous vide immersion circulator to 54C - then popped it under something heavy and flat to set?

This would in theory keep temperature pretty precise and safe, and the vacbag will protect the grooves.

But like I say, might be bit mad scientist.

10 hours ago, RocketFishPI said:

Here’s a thought, maybe a touch on the mad scientist side, has anyone vacuum sealed a record in a food vacbag and heated it with a sous vide immersion circulator to 54C - then popped it under something heavy and flat to set?

This would in theory keep temperature pretty precise and safe, and the vacbag will protect the grooves.

But like I say, might be bit mad scientist.

I think you'd find that it needs to be pressed while at the 54 degrees (for a couple of hours) rather than just being pressed flat after it had reached the correct temperature.

But I like your thinking. Except, I don't think any of my vac bags are wide enough - nor my sealer. If it wasn't for the label, I'd say "why bother with the bag at all?"

6 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

I think you'd find that it needs to be pressed while at the 54 degrees (for a couple of hours) rather than just being pressed flat after it had reached the correct temperature.

But I like your thinking. Except, I don't think any of my vac bags are wide enough - nor my sealer. If it wasn't for the label, I'd say "why bother with the bag at all?"

Damn practicality always getting in the way of progress.

Maybe sit the LP underneath a flat bottomed water tank and turn on the circulator for a few hours?

I don't know why, but I seem committed to getting out from underneath the boot of "big vinyl-flattening".

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a thought, starting from the bottom - metal plate (or flat countertop surface), LP, metal plate, pot of water containing sous vide set to say 55c.

Sous vide water temp gets conducted to metal plate on LP - voila. 

This way you get both a flat surface, even temperature, and a weight. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Here's a thought, starting from the bottom - metal plate (or flat countertop surface), LP, metal plate, pot of water containing sous vide set to say 55c.

Sous vide water temp gets conducted to metal plate on LP - voila. 

This way you get both a flat surface, even temperature, and a weight. 

Love it. Is there much science about the weight / pressure vinyl can be subjected to?

Hi Folks...does anyone know of a flattening service here in Adelaide?

Have a brand new Union Cafe that was warped when I opened it to spin. It’s on the smaller side of moderate so I reckon a flattening machine would sort it out...

cheers,

Ryan