Recommend me a $2k headphone

$4-5k gets you a lot of gear.

The HD800S is an impressive headphone. To me, a one trick pony. To many, end game headphone. It smashes Classical, but I personally don't find it engaging and enjoyable for much else.

BUT your music selecation is a lot of what the HD800S will excel in. So for $1500 or so, I think a no-brainer for you.

Keep the HD6XX.

Buy a Bottlehead Crack, pairs phenomenally with both the HD6XX and HD800S.

Denafrips Ares II DAC.

Then a clean nuetral solid state amp. Auralica Taurus if you can find one. I'm not a fan of the THX ones or the other spin offs, prefer a Class A type.

HD800S - $1500

Bottlehead Crack - $700 (+$300 for some nice tubes)

Ares II - $1000 used mint

Taurus  or other Class A type SS - $1000

$4500 !

Spending other peoples money is fun.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, murrmax said:

Based on your listening preferences and wanting something different I highly recommend you check out some decent planar headphones, clarity,  and resolution come to mind..

Vaggguuueee haha.

Nothing Planar will compete with HD800S for Classical/Piano etc. Closest competitor would be the Arya at over $2000, then you're sitting on a $2000 time bomb that is Hifiman of late.

Blow the whole budget on a Final D8000 Pro and run it off your phone.

59 minutes ago, sly_bastard said:

Depending on what volume you listen to music, the HD800s leak so much sound so might want to consider that.

Violectric make a great solid state amp which can come with a DAC, extreme power with a bit of warmth.  People love the Taurius, even the Questyle maybe, there is always the IFI or even try a SPL.  There are opinion, maybe walk into A2A and try some combos out they should have some HD800s to test there as well I would assume.

If you went the other way, could get a R2R DAC which should be a warm DAC and add a cheap clinical amp like a Drop or SMSL SP200.  

Saw the Cyan Halo looks interesting as, maybe check it out. 

I consider myself to be a a moderate to low volume listener, even on my current crappy sound blaster rarely go past 50% on some quieter classical tracks.

I have looked at Violectrics, but they are definitely very pricey, unless I come across one one the classifieds probably going to past for now.

I have also consider the Questyle, specifically the CMA400i, but reading Headfi seems to indicate they have extremely poor after sales support and many QC issues it seems, particularly related to USB use.

R2R Dacs do intrigued me, since people seem to say they give that so called "analogue" sound.

Cyan Halo, actually I never heard of it, but having a brief look it appears to be a very capable AIO unit, and only about $2k new here. I will read more about this. Thanks.

39 minutes ago, murrmax said:

Based on your listening preferences and wanting something different I highly recommend you check out some decent planar headphones, clarity,  and resolution come to mind..

I dont know why, but I feel safer sticking to dynamic headphones since its what I am familiar with  (I have actually never heard a planar headphone before). Thanks for the suggestion though.

33 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

$4-5k gets you a lot of gear.

The HD800S is an impressive headphone. To me, a one trick pony. To many, end game headphone. It smashes Classical, but I personally don't find it engaging and enjoyable for much else.

BUT your music selecation is a lot of what the HD800S will excel in. So for $1500 or so, I think a no-brainer for you.

Keep the HD6XX.

Buy a Bottlehead Crack, pairs phenomenally with both the HD6XX and HD800S.

Denafrips Ares II DAC.

Then a clean nuetral solid state amp. Auralica Taurus if you can find one. I'm not a fan of the THX ones or the other spin offs, prefer a Class A type.

HD800S - $1500

Bottlehead Crack - $700 (+$300 for some nice tubes)

Ares II - $1000 used mint

Taurus  or other Class A type SS - $1000

$4500 !

Spending other peoples money is fun.

Yes, I have pretty much decided on HD800S as my headphone now.

I am definitely considering a Bottlehead crack also, as I only have read rave reviews about it pairing with the HD6xx/HD800s. If one pops up on the classifieds again, I will scoop it up for sure.

Taurus seems interesting, may look into this (and I have seen your ad on classifieds).

Thanks.

The THX amps. And this extends to the D90 and Magnius etc. Have a very dry nuetral sound. Many love it. They find it "transparent".

To me, it sucks the life out of the headphones.

A big heavy amp, like a Taurus or Audio GD or Flux or Phonitor or or or (list goes on and on) can still be transparent and nuetral without that dry quality. 

That's personally what I'd aim for.

Heaps of value in the THX / opamp little amps, but they can't shake that quality, to my ears.

Denafrips Ares II - Best value R2R.

Questyle CMA400i can't use external DAC. CMA600i you can. Killer headphone amp stage too.

Violectric V281 is a lovely amp. And the other variants that use the same amp stage. Do recommend, pricey though. 

Just now, Bengineer said:

Denafrips Ares II - Best value R2R.

Questyle CMA400i can't use external DAC. CMA600i you can. Killer headphone amp stage too.

Violectric V281 is a lovely amp. And the other variants that use the same amp stage. Do recommend, pricey though. 

Its a pity CMA600i has been discontinued, I did speak to another SNA'er about purchasing one from him a while ago but he mentioned he felt bad selling it as the USB port was faulty.

Violectric V281 definitely gets the rave reviews and looks like an end game ss amp, however too pricey for my budget at the moment.

I guess, I will keep checking classifieds regularly, something will pop up soon enough I can feel it.

DACs worth considering, all come up regularly.

Ares II

RME ADI-2

Bifrost 2

D90

SS Amps that don't suck

Taurus

Phonitor

V220 / V281

CMA600

AGD Master

Flux Labs

Tube

DarkVoice (with right tubes, cheap)

Bottlehead Anything

Lyr 3

Feliks Audio

Obviously heaps of other options, but more and more uncommon. Like the Holo Cyan or a Soekris, no-one has them

• Like 1

Thanks @Bengineer, everyone has been real helpful so far.

I think I have enough amps/dacs to consider now. Its now just a matter of either waiting for one to come up on classifieds or if I cant wait any more splurge and buy something brand new.

I see you're in Sydney, make the trip to MInidisc and rule out the bull-dust,  I've demoed heaps of headphones there and come home much wiser, its a playground for us.

Original HD800 was my choice but sometimes with a little EQ decrease right on 6K.

If they weren't amped properly when you owned them before you didn't hear them correctly.

D8000 has a wider soundstage than D8000 pro hence suits classical better than D8000.

Being planar, it does have a certain fluidity that works beautifully well with classical.

Also D8000 has mid-high love similar to Utopia.

For Classical (ranked):

1. HD800s - cant be beaten, dont try, just go home and cry
  2. Audio Technica AD5000x veryyy nice
  3. Final D8000 - fluid, organic. Beautiful instrument imaging and air
  4. Utopia - Last coz of the narrowest soundstage i have tried in any top tier headphone

@Bengineer

Edited by peppy

2 minutes ago, peppy said:

Audio Technica AD5000x veryyy nice

@Bengineer

I personally have really enjoyed the Audio Technica phones I had in the past (I previously had AD700, R70x and AD2000x),  and although many dont like the winged headband design, I actually loved it and still is the most comfortable headphones I've worn.  Sometimes I wonder why I sold the AD2000x and have thought about buying it again even.

But I feel AD5000x is priced a bit high and does not come with accessories such as a balanced cable vs HD800S which has better package and price.

Honestly, if they were priced <$2k I think they would sell much better, and would be more suitable price to compete.

Well now that my mate @Bengineer has tagged me in it, will share my opinion . Yes I like to comment when not asked to ;)

On 22/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, bruc3 said:

hi all,

I currently have a HD6xx and love it. But just looking for something new I guess.

I mostly listen to music with female vocals, instrumental (acoustic, piano and strings), Jazz, some classical, and bit of RnB.

I've decided to treat myself to an upgrade.

I will try to arrange a day to go Minidisc to try out some headphones.

Currently ones I am considering below (higher preference to the left):

Sennheiser HD800S, Audio Technica ADX5000, Focal Clear, Hifiman Arya, Beyerdynamic T1

So what headphones would you recommend?

Well:-

TOP HEADPHONES (then will come to your list)

• Female Vocals - Utopia & Final D8000 Pro
  • Acoustic - Utopia
  • Jazz - Utopia
  • RnB - Final D8000
  • Instrumentals - HD800s
  • Piano and Strings - Utopia , HD800s , Final D8000/D8000 Pro

YOUR LIST

• Female Vocals - HD800s / AT DX5000
  • Acoustic - HD800s / AT DX5000
  • Jazz - Focal Clear
  • RnB - Focal Clear
  • Instrumentals - HD800s
  • Piano and Strings - HD800s / AT DX5000

My take on your list:

• Sennheiser HD800s is a must have for any head-fi enthusiast. Amazing godly soundstage, near all rounder, imaging and natural...Not for Bass heads, quality over quantity.
  • Hifiman Arya quality is very questionable and is not as natural as HD800s.
  • Focal Clear is a very good all rounder if you can find it under $1500 new. Worth it at that price & compliments HD800s very well in a collection. VEry good for VOCALS in your list, probably the best for vocals.
  • Beyerdynamic T1- Have always been unsure where does it fit and why does it exist at that price when it excels at nothing, is not bad , but does not stand out. And YES, can be harsh to ears. Not sure how Gen3 is though.
  • AT AD5000x -- Amazing headphone. Very similar to HD800s ..... BUT - at $2200ish or near abouts, with that poor flimsy build quality is very hard to justify. Especially when HD800s exists below $2000.

From your list, if you have option to buy 1 headphone only:-

HD800s it is.

From your list, if you have option to buy 2 headphones :-

HD800s + Focal Clear it is.

Edited by peppy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, peppy said:

Well now that my mate @Bengineer has tagged me in it, will share my opinion . Yes I like to comment when not asked to ;)

Well:-

YOUR LIST

• Female Vocals - HD800s / AT DX5000
  • Acoustic - HD800s / AT DX5000
  • Jazz - Focal Clear
  • RnB - Focal Clear
  • Instrumentals - HD800s
  • Piano and Strings - HD800s / AT DX5000

From your list, if you have option to buy 1 headphone only:-

HD800s it is.

From your list, if you have option to buy 2 headphones :-

HD800s + Focal Clear it is.

Thanks for a very clear recommendation/explanation.

One day maybe I can afford a Utopia or D8000, but for now I will get the HD800S pending a day I arrange to go audition at the store.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

@peppy Have you considered the fact that the Utopia and Clear are like a cheese grater on your brain with most amps? Thoughts? Feelings?

I know what you mention Ben.

But if you choose a decent analog  or neutral sounding amp,  Utopia are awesome.

Clear is not as picky though.

But your impression of Focal house sound is shared by many . Focal house is very polarising amongst head fi lovers.

Guest Peter the Greek

You'd get a damn good pair of CIEM's for $2k

Worth looking into. A different experience, but I'd rather in ear than on for long stretches.

I have similar preferences to you OP. The HD6XX to me is a tonally perfect headphone. But it's lacking in technical performance. I also have a Focal Clear and a Mr Speakers Ether CX.

The Clears are brighter than the 6XX but not by too much. I can tolerate them but they're at the edge of limit. There a couple of simple mods that can help with brightness too, I use Dekoni velour pads. You can also put some foam over the driver but I didn't need that.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Ethers though. They are very similar tonally to the 6XX, I use them without any of the foam inserts. They are beautifully smooth and coherent like the 6XX. On top of that they are the most amazingly built, light and comfortable headphones. If I was splurging on some more expensive open backs, the Ether Flow 1.1 or the Ether 2 would be at the top of my list. I haven't heard either but triangulating from their reviews and the Ether CX, I reckon I would love those. You'd looking at a used set though to keep it under $2k.

• Like 1