Amplifier recommendation

Due to illness I am having to simplify my system to make it easier for my wife to use it.

I have always operated solid state mono power amps and a good valve pre amp. To simplify, I am looking for recommendations / suggestions for an integrated amplifier (maybe with DAC and Streamer combined) that could drive speakers that go down to 2.5 ohms.

New or used would be OK, hopefully price would be in the $K5 region. 

Ken

Evening Ken,

I have Kef ref 1.2 speakers which dip below 3ohms and some Cantons and ATC which also like some juice. You could look at Unison Research integrateds, I own a Secondo model but I think the 'Due' is the newer equivalent. 

I also have a Cayin A100T valve amp which is fab and drives above speakers no problem with a conservative 70wpc in Ultralinear mode.

Not very knowledgeable about streaming but believe the Unison Due also has DAC.

Just my opinions/experience of course 

Phil

14 hours ago, Ken said:

Due to illness I am having to simplify my system to make it easier for my wife to use it.

I have always operated solid state mono power amps and a good valve pre amp. To simplify, I am looking for recommendations / suggestions for an integrated amplifier (maybe with DAC and Streamer combined) that could drive speakers that go down to 2.5 ohms.

New or used would be OK, hopefully price would be in the $K5 region. 

Ken

It's not actually necessary to go integrated in order to simplify. In my system (see signiture) only the class A power amp is turned on or off, all inputs are digital so I can use the MiniDSP DDRC-22D to switch inputs using a remote whilst performing it's room correction and bass correction magic.  The preamp is a Slagleformer based passive which lets through more than any active pre I've ever tried though even so I was unhappy with the sound until I got the Absolute Audio Labs Balanzer which sits between that DAC and preamp.

While I'm not saying this is the way to go, it does show you can still run a very nice setup with separates while simplifying operation.

Edited by MattyW

Thanks for the replies so far.

The main reason to go to integrated was to help my wife use the system.

She simply would not use a system with so many power switches and a pre amp with 8 valves. 

Saying that the Unison Research looks appealing and the Hegel also has some appeal.

How would the likes of a Naim or ACcuphase Integrated go with a drop to 2,5 ohms?

Ken

Hey Ken,

Accuphase is tremendous. Honestly, you cant go wrong with it.   Most Japanese stuff is built with A1 quality standards. But its pricey and one has to be careful to ensure its a model designed for Aussie voltage. The good news is they last for ever are built to be relatively maintenance free  and are awesome performers. I have an Accuphase tuner and preamp and they perform really well and good second hand/used Accuphase gear is often available through this forum.

Good luck.  

• Like 1