Currently Spinning

Hi All,

Pint of Blood by Jolie Holland and the Grand Chandeliers

2094869585_PintOfBlood.jpg.5baddf8820d2142cad10ff2f7fb02c33.jpg

Review from: https://nowtoronto.com/

Jolie Holland collaborates again with multiinstrumentalist Shahzad Ismaily on her fourth album, which was loosely inspired by Neil Young's Zuma.

Recorded in various New York studios, it has a live, intimate feel despite its overdubs. Devoid of the narrative scope heard on 2008's The Living And The Dead, it still showcases Holland's beautiful, broken-sounding voice and a subtler, simpler songwriting direction. Like Lucinda Williams, she successfully captures personal dramas, and her shaky backup vocals in the chorus of Remember are especially emotive.

Piano blues ballad Tender Mirror and June are gentle, while Wreckage has a Buddy Holly vibe with guitars and handclaps. Also included are Be Good Tanyas hit Little Birds, deconstructed and reimagined with a hint of Afrobeat, and a beautiful cover of Townes Van Zandt's Rex's Blues featuring Holland on violin.

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 2

On 20/12/2019 at 2:49 PM, metal beat said:

Lloyd Cole ‎– Don't Get Weird On Me Babe. 1991 original UK pressing - Arguably his best overall album imo. one side with strings/orchestra and other electric guitar driven.

Can't wait to see him play live tonight.

[IMG]

How was it?

I've seen him a few times before but missed his recent NZ gig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Citroen said:

How was it?

I've seen him a few times before but missed his recent NZ gig.

intimate, quite talkative and jovial in a self effacing way - very good.  personally, I would like him to get a band back together and play a rock show - I think he would surprise even himself.

the beautiful Read to be Heartbroken in the link to get an idea of the show's flavour.

• Like 1