Dire Straits Mofi 45 rpm vs 2020 8 plus box set

16 hours ago, stevoz said:
17 hours ago, rockpig said:

To go in the other direction, the worst version of Brothers in Arms I have ever heard has to be the 2005 20th anniversary hybrid SACD. Talk about killing the dynamics!!!

I have that SACD.....surely you are talking about the stereo mix?:ermm:

Yes, the stereo mix. Never heard the multi-channel mix as I am purely a stereo guy.
To clarify the wave forms in the image were made from the Redbook layer as I have no way of ripping SACD layer. But I have listened to the SACD layer and it is awful, so I can only assume it has the same crushed dynamics as the Redbook layer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockpig said:

Yes, the stereo mix. Never heard the multi-channel mix as I am purely a stereo guy.
To clarify the wave forms in the image were made from the Redbook layer as I have no way of ripping SACD layer. But I have listened to the SACD layer and it is awful, so I can only assume it has the same crushed dynamics as the Redbook layer.

BIA was the first album I ever bought with my own money back in '86. I was so excited. And then I heard how quiet it was, and the excitement fled a little. All these years later its now that I appreciate how those dynamics were actually meant to be, not compressed like most albums would later become with the loudness wars. 

I wonder who would have had the final say in making that happen? Neil Dorfsman? Bob Ludwig? Certainly not the record company I'd imagine?

Edited by Jebediah

After receiving my BTB copy of On Every Street yesterday, gave it a spin this morning. Have to agree with Kelossus to some degree about the vocals. I wonder if they weren't remixed a little to make them sound a little more 'sultry'?  At any rate, personally it doesn't detract too much from the enjoyment of the album on vinyl. My system is relatively modest in comparison to most SNA members invested in records, so perhaps it's not as noticeable to me as it would be to someone with a much more resolving/detailed system. 

My copy was flat, silent and reasonably dynamic. YMMV