Audio Note UK/Kondo?

Someone might know this, but is there any connection between Audio Note UK and Audio Note Kondo (Japan)? Some friends said that they were once the same company, but the partners had a falling-out and agreed to go their own ways.

Audio Note UK has very expensive gear and I guess the same is true of AN Kondo. Looking at their respective websites, it is apparent that AN UK had a far more extensive list of offerings than AN Kondo. It would be interesting to find out the background on these uber high-end companies.

Thanks.

Edited by jaspar

I was under the impression audio Note uk was originally the distributor of Audio Note kondo and also snell speakers. Then started making their own versions. ??

8 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

I was under the impression audio Note uk was originally the distributor of Audio Note kondo and also snell speakers. Then started making their own versions. ??

Strangely they have similar model names for some of their amps. I'm sure there's a story behind all this.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jaspar said:

Strangely they have similar model names for some of their amps. I'm sure there's a story behind all this.

Maybe under licence ? 

5 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Maybe under licence ? 

Yep, maybe. Perhaps others can throw some light. I'm considering purchasing Audio Note amps sometime next year, so I'm just wondering what the difference is and some of the history behind it.

• Volunteer
32 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Wow, what a clusterf*ck!  :(  Great detective work, Trevor.  :thumb:

I wonder who the Audio Note guy in Oz (who used to post here) deals with - Kondo-san ... or PQ?

Andy

• Volunteer
55 minutes ago, andyr said:

Wow, what a clusterf*ck!  :(  Great detective work, Trevor.  :thumb:

I wonder who the Audio Note guy in Oz (who used to post here) deals with - Kondo-san ... or PQ?

Andy

I didn't do much detective work…. actually I'd assumed everyone knew the story already.

It was Brian (guru) who was the audio note guy here (nice chap, I miss him).

He sells AudioNote UK

https://www.audionote.com.au

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I didn't do much detective work…. actually I'd assumed everyone knew the story already.

He sells AudioNote UK

https://www.audionote.com.au

Didnt PQ do the same with snell speakers ?

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Agree, very decent fellow, very knowledgeable and liked a good vino and tequila.........sadly missed around here....must give him a call....?

• Like 4

Well this saga rears its head periodically  and while it can make fascinating or sordid reading --there were mistakes on both sides.

The posts above are basically correct and depends whom you ask -you can get two different versions of events.

While Kondo -san and with his superb products has stated his case many times -- IMHO he either was advised wrongly or as he states-decided himself why NOT

to pursue  when things  started to go pear shape will probably never be known--some feel he made the wrong decision depends again whom you ask..

Peter Q yes he's a bit of enigma-and as can be ascertained in this stoush grabbed the opening he saw and ran with to his advantage.I'd met Peter in the mid 80's when I was part time helping setup LP12's at Unilet New Malden-he had swagger and knew sales and marketing the products he was touting. I've since spoken to him at overseas shows and he remains personable and as we know has made Audio Note UK a top market product in many price points for the consumer --so its not all bad in his CV9_9

There is more to this and it can be seen as one of those "never let the facts get in the way of a GOOD STORY" episode-- however not for this thread.

Both camps are doing well KONDO Jp/AUDIO NOTE UK so time heals --there's just too much drama/mind numbing things going on the the world today to even 

goss on this--- both have moved on--maybe time here too:)

While I have not had any dealings with the KONDO AGENT-- I have with the the excellent Local  Audio Note UK Agent Bryan Fletcher whom I've found

extremely helpful in all matters concerning his Brand.

Good Listening

Willco

Edited by Willco
  • Like 6

On 05/07/2020 at 2:48 PM, jaspar said:

Someone might know this, but is there any connection between Audio Note UK and Audio Note Kondo (Japan)? Some friends said that they were once the same company, but the partners had a falling-out and agreed to go their own ways.

Audio Note UK has very expensive gear and I guess the same is true of AN Kondo. Looking at their respective websites, it is apparent that AN UK had a far more extensive list of offerings than AN Kondo. It would be interesting to find out the background on these uber high-end companies.

Thanks.

Hi jaspar,

Kondo himself posted this: https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=general&m=37527

• Like 2

Regardless what stories who's fault , i will be very happy with either brand, both brand sounds very very good. It come down to personal preference and price ( most important) 

I will be prefer day time to listen to Audio Note Japan Kondo and night time to Audio note UK  Hahaha ?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dalamii said:

Regardless what stories who's fault , i will be very happy with either brand, both brand sounds very very good. It come down to personal preference and price ( most important) 

I will be prefer day time to listen to Audio Note Japan Kondo and night time to Audio note UK  Hahaha ?

Yes of course, both are good. I can see a Dartzeel component in your member's photo. I believe that's also a great brand. Lucky you:)

• Like 1

Hello,

The main advantage of AN UK is the availability of cheaper products than in the Kondo lines.

After, when you compare top of them, they are at the same level and it's mainly a question of tastes. I owned some AN UK products, in fact a full AN system and in the mean time some Kondo ones. Both were excellent and shared the same philosophy.

There is something in the AN sound that I miss. Sound is rich of course but also delicate. One thing that I appreciate with AN is the fact that all the products go in the same way (more or less).

The analogue part is just great. IO cartridges are fantastic and with an incredible long life. A AN step up is mandatory to use it.

The silver cables are also very good and each level provide a little bit more than the previous one.

Some pieces are magic I think to the japanese preamplifier M7 (i owned an old version), that I sold when I found a UK M8 with the phono board that was missing to my M7. P4 balanced are wonderful 300B PSE amplifier, incredibly fast and dynamic (they used transfo for interstage instead capacitor). AN-E speakers with the external crossover and paper in oil caps are also something to ear...

I just sold this week my last AN pieces (IO gold cartridge, S8 step up, KSL Vz silver cable), with a little bit of sadness. May be one day I will buy (again) a Meishu (300B integrated amplifier) that give a lot for the price (compared to other AN stuff), if possible a silver or silver signature version.

But with AN... the price is an issue.

Best

Ugo

• Like 5

• 3 months later...