AKG Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest JohnA

The AKG K701s are nice headphones, the only complaint I had with them was a slight bass-shyness, but depending on taste and musical preference that might be a non-issue. There are other options at that price point that would arguably be just as good depending on one's taste. Beyerdynamic DT880, and Audio Technica AD900 are both very nice cans. Grado is another option, even their cheapest headphones are excellent, but I didn't find them comfortable to wear, and that's not a rare opinion.

Best advice is to find a shop where you can listen to a range of headphones - don't buy on recommendations alone, or else I bet you'll end up buying again.

If noise emanating to the surroundings is a concern, it should be noted that the AKG are an "open" design.

The ATH-W1000 are rather nice, very easily driven and a "closed" design.

There are other AT designs both open and closed that have received good report, the 700 closed design, IIRC, was given a pretty good wrap and is considerably less expensive than the W1000 new.

The Denon 2000, 5000 and 7000 also have their admirers.

As mentioned, a lot of the decision is down to personal taste and music/presentation preferences.

I have the 702s which are, apparently, only cosmetically different to the 701s. They are considerably better than my previous pair - Senns 595s. If I was buying today, I would also check out the B & W P5s. They have had good reviews and seem excellent value.

I have 3, k701, hd650 and DT990. Overall I prefer the DT990 since they sit in between the k701 and hd650 in terms of bass quantity and treble sparkle. Each headphone has music which is more or less suited to them, sometimes though this doesn't vary with genre, its on a song by song basis.

Great cans but provide bugger all noise isolation - if the whole point of the exercise is to listen to the music without disturbing anyone think about closed cans as an alternative. I use Beyerdynamics DT770 for that purpose.

I had a Leben CS300 with 701s for a few weeks. The Leben is by far the best amp for driving dynamic headphones that I have yet heard. And so should be - it drives them 'off the output transformers', so I've been told, instead of through a weedy op amp. It really got the 701s by the scruff of the neck and had them singing!

The problem with this combo IMO might be the 701s - and not for the reasons you might think. I agree that the 701s are unbeatable for their price. However, they take an eternity to run in (I'm still not sure if mine were fully run in when I sold them) and can sound a bit thin and lacking in bass up to that point. My advice would be look for a good used pair and save yourself the trouble.

I had a Leben CS300 with 701s for a few weeks. The Leben is by far the best amp for driving dynamic headphones that I have yet heard. And so should be - it drives them 'off the output transformers', so I've been told, instead of through a weedy op amp. It really got the 701s by the scruff of the neck and had them singing!

The problem with this combo IMO might be the 701s - and not for the reasons you might think. I agree that the 701s are unbeatable for their price. However, they take an eternity to run in (I'm still not sure if mine were fully run in when I sold them) and can sound a bit thin and lacking in bass up to that point. My advice would be look for a good used pair and save yourself the trouble.

I concur. I've just un-boxed my AKG 702s and they sound quite (errrrm) "thin". I'm gonna leave them to run in 24 x 7 for a week or two before I sit down with them and nice cuppa tea.

Can't wait to run the Heed Canamp and Schiit Lyr through their paces and enjoy some quality music-drenched solitude.

When I had my 701s, I tried them with the Heed Canamp. I found it quite underwhelming (although I am aware that many think there is great synergy between the two). The Talisman was excellent - and Ophool's Graham Slee amd Yamamoto were likewise terrific. Have sold the 701s so never had an opportunity to try with the Leben (keeping a wee eye open now).

The Lyr on the other hand I suspect would be a great combo.

I liked the 701's when I owned a pair. Ran them on a Talisman Head-Phone amp and thought they were very very good.

I don't subscribe to the view that they need a lot of running in though. In my opinion its only the listeners perception of how they sound will change from listening to them now- and 300 odd hours later.

Chris

When I had my 701s, I tried them with the Heed Canamp. I found it quite underwhelming (although I am aware that many think there is great synergy between the two). The Talisman was excellent - and Ophool's Graham Slee amd Yamamoto were likewise terrific. Have sold the 701s so never had an opportunity to try with the Leben (keeping a wee eye open now).

The Lyr on the other hand I suspect would be a great combo.

The Lyr and Canamp both sound VERY different to each other with the 702s.

I own both the AKG 702's and Sennheiser HD 600 both are first rate but I tend to grab the AKG's over the HD 600's for most music.

I'm using a Benchmark DAC1pre and Musical Fidelity X-can v3/8 as headphone amps.

JDH.

Guest VladimirFreddie

I agree with jdh500. Both are excellent phones.

I have 702s and used to own HD600s. I use a Perreaux SXH1 being fed by the Benchmark DAC1USB (perreaux is a better headamp to my ears. I believe that the benchmark is a lot better DAC than amp) which ran either without problem.

I ended up keeping the AKGs because there were better IMHO with Jazz and Classical whereas to me the Sennheisers were better for rock.

I have a bit of headphone "fetish" and as per my sig have K702s and Senn HD650s in open phones, and Beyer DT770s 600 ohm, Denon D7000s, and AT W5000s in closed phones. I use them all, and go to different phones and amp combos depending on what I am listening to.

First decision he needs to make is open or closed - sounds like closed to me from you description. Best value option are the DT770s, and probably in the 250 ohm version unless he is definitely using the Leben then I would recommend the 600 ohm. I use my D7000s with both SS and tube amps, and like them very, very much. They can seem a bit bass heavy at times, so I have been thinking about the headfi 1/2 markl or full markl mod to tame it a little. The W5000s are fantastic with vocal music, but not as good an allrounder as the other 2.

If he decides to go open, then the K701/702, Senm HD 650, or Beyer DT880 are all good choices. Will depend on music styles of course.

I guess that leaves me with an opinion as clear as mud - so be it!

Hi Guys

Thanks everyone for their excellent replys. Thanks to Bronal or confirming what the headphone guys on their forums said - the K701's and Leben are a great combination - and they also mentioned the run in issue. My mate is also keen on some noise cancelling headphones and is thinking of getting some AKG K480NC's for when there is a bit of noise around as well as the K701's

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

I like the akg70x but I feel they are a complimentry headphone rather then a single headphone for everything. Something like a alessando or a senn 6x0 will be a nice compliment.

Again, open or closed also becomes important. For closed, I'd probably put the audiotechnica woodies close to the top.

I guess the other question is as well, how serious is he about headphones? no point in massive outlay if its just a temporary thing...

If he is going to be listening in the same room as someone else, then the closed 'phones are a good idea--otherwise even with open 'phones the external volume is going to be minimal.

The noise cancelling 'phones use a lot of technology (and cost) to work well. For my money a better solution to outside noise is a set of in-ear monitors. These often attenuate the outside sounds much better than the noise-cancelling.

Both 'phones and IEMs have comfort problems--the 'phones can get very hot around the ears, and some find the IEMs difficult to seal and can feel like they are stretching the ear canals. I have both and still don't know which I prefer!

Greg

Edited by GregWormald
grammar

I like the akg70x but I feel they are a complimentry headphone rather then a single headphone for everything. Something like a alessando or a senn 6x0 will be a nice compliment. Again, open or closed also becomes important. For closed, I'd probably put the audiotechnica woodies close to the top. I guess the other question is as well, how serious is he about headphones? no point in massive outlay if its just a temporary thing...

Its a temporary thing and he is not really serious about phones. I was speaking to the guy last night and the noise cancelling phones are more for cancelling noise in noisy environments than actually listening to them believe it or not. I suggested to him if that's the case he carefully checks them out as I have heard when nothing is playing through them there is a slight background hiss.

Thanks

Bill

If he isnt "serious" about headphones.

I suggest something like the ad900. They are open, and they do leak quite a bit, but they are never loud (refering to the leakage.)

They are easy to drive and sound good out of a $3000 amp or straight from an ipod. They are similar to the k701 in that they tend to be a bit lean in the mid-low down, but I found them more "musical."

Given that he may be borrowing your leben though, I'd suggest maybe a hd600, if you can find one for a reasonable price.

Also, I've found headphonics (www.headphones.com.au) summaries and recommendations to be spot on, if you want some clues on what to buy.

This is turning into a classic 701 argument. I disagree wit LogicprObe's statement. I own 701, Beyerdynamic dt990 and Sennheiser HD650, Both bassy headphones. The k701 literally has no bass in comparison, I find it extremely difficult to go from either phone to the 701 due to the lack of bass.

If this person is not into headphones, don't spend the money on k701, get a cheaper headphone. Ring Headphonic and ask them for a recommendation, they have their head screwed on and aren't biased by the many reviews and all the forum post from head-fi etc.

By the way, the k701 was my first audiophile grade headphone, I would never recommend it as a first headphone, big mistake.

Well, I drive mine out of my Essence sound card and they're bassy.

Not so out of my Yamaha amp headphone jack.........it hasn't got enough oomph and I couldn't be bothered modifying it.

They are great through the Essence which is why I bought them.

I second this. It would be a nice complement.

I'll third the recommendation for Sennheiser HD600. I enjoyed these more than the HD650 and AKG K701 when auditioning at a recent Head-Fi meet. I sent my Beyer DT880's back in favour of them, and my Alessandro MS-Pro (which I LOVE) will probably be up for sale soon also. While all these phones may individually do some things better, the HD600 is (for me) the best all-rounder.