AKG Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest JohnA

I audition a K701 a while back and there not far of from these Q701. Agree with Show, OK for a $200 AU landed. I have had these running since 5pm on a repeated track via the OPPO 105 headphone. Definitely no bass, and very recessed. I'm actually surprised that the Stax Lambda Pro low end is way more pronounced, as I always thought that the electrostatics are absent in bass. But then again this is no match against the 30 yr old Stax rig. Just no comparison, night and day stuff. I bought this to have a decent dynamic set.

I"ll keep these on all night but I don't think it'll change much because the pair of k701 I heard at Jaben Audio is very similar and I'm sure those are burn in.

Something I posted on the Massdrop discussion page.

Comparing these to a pair of K701 years ago. Not going to comment on sound as my 701s are far from burnt in.

The 701 are now made in China, as compared the old school 7xx Made in Austria.

- the Austrian made headphones came out of the box very clean. The Q701 was rife with lint. I suppose the 701 was more than double the price, so that's fairly excusable.
- The Q701's box couldn't pass off for a >$200 headphone. So for this drop, it's fairly reflective of the price, but if I were to pay retail, well, I wouldn't have.
- No headphone "stand" as per the K701
- The leather headband doesn't use the same leather (are these ones even leather?)
- Stitching quality is still there.
- The "steel look" connectors from the headband isn't well finished around the edges.
- Cables are not as supple. Feels like a lower grade cable.

Considering these headphones, taking into account the change in location of manufacturing country, are meant to be parallel to the K701/702, I would say they are clearly not.

Let's hope the sound quality is preserved, otherwise, this wouldn't be quite the bargain they seem to be. It would be a lower grade K7xx headphone, and currently, the exterior of the headphone seem to reflect that.

Something I posted on the Massdrop discussion page.

Comparing these to a pair of K701 years ago. Not going to comment on sound as my 701s are far from burnt in.

The 701 are now made in China, as compared the old school 7xx Made in Austria.

- the Austrian made headphones came out of the box very clean. The Q701 was rife with lint. I suppose the 701 was more than double the price, so that's fairly excusable.

- The Q701's box couldn't pass off for a >$200 headphone. So for this drop, it's fairly reflective of the price, but if I were to pay retail, well, I wouldn't have.

- No headphone "stand" as per the K701

- The leather headband doesn't use the same leather (are these ones even leather?)

- Stitching quality is still there.

- The "steel look" connectors from the headband isn't well finished around the edges.

- Cables are not as supple. Feels like a lower grade cable.

Considering these headphones, taking into account the change in location of manufacturing country, are meant to be parallel to the K701/702, I would say they are clearly not.

Let's hope the sound quality is preserved, otherwise, this wouldn't be quite the bargain they seem to be. It would be a lower grade K7xx headphone, and currently, the exterior of the headphone seem to reflect that.

In the industry I'm in, Quality is dictated by the OEM, and not the place of manufacturer. The factories in China will produce whatever standard you desire.

In the industry I'm in, Quality is dictated by the OEM, and not the place of manufacturer. The factories in China will produce whatever standard you desire.

This applies to almost every industry, where the OEM dictates quality control. Ultimately, the workers in China are just under orders, just as the Austrians are.

However, there is a lot of sandbagging within industries with parallel products under different names, or country of manufacture. Take for example VW and Audi. They are the same company, some of their cars are mechanically identical, however VW has to detune their version (talking about the current Golf R vs Audi S3). 

I believe they deliberately lower the finish quality for their Chinese manufactured headphones so they can maintain a premium on the Austrian ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just thinking..

If people are going to shop over the internet, and Amazon have them for about $195, is Massdrop worth the saving? I say that because Amazon would have delivered it faster.. I know I've got stuff from Amazon between 4-10 days...

Thoughts?

Just thinking..

If people are going to shop over the internet, and Amazon have them for about $195, is Massdrop worth the saving? I say that because Amazon would have delivered it faster.. I know I've got stuff from Amazon between 4-10 days...

Thoughts?

Amazon - $206.    Shipping ~ 2 weeks 

Massdrop = $162.  Shipping ~ 5 weeks    (todays deal is now sold out though)

I'd  take the $44....and spend it on records.   

Massdrop is 5 weeks plus and thats from  after drop date.

With the Stax you need to be asking the mains 240V voltage compatibility

Im about to let my Q701 go if you guys are interested, the BeyerT90 is a better product.  PM me if you are interested. :)

Same. Letting go of the Q701. Keeping the 712. The Q701 served its purpose. Took my down memory lane of my first serious headphone - K702.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want to create some magic in a headphone, look at a headamp that includes tone controls - I've got the RME ADI-2 with it's remarkably flexible parameteric filters and you can totally transform the behaviour if the 701/2 etc - it's not a bad idea to upgrade/replace the cable too.

I'm continually surprised at just how good some of these older headphones can perform for such a reasonable cost 

• Like 1

I'm not a big headphone listener, but I like my garish lime green Q701. I bought them secondhand on here must be going on ten years ago and have never wanted for more. Obviously there are whole rabbit warrens to be explored in head-fi and much higher performance to be had, but these do me fine.

• Like 1