the Aussie hifi scene in 1979 video

What a brilliant clip, a fabulously authentic cast of contributors!

I really liked the artist who couldnt function properly without hearing his 7000-strong record collection and the powerfully understated lady at the end who was determined to have the best equipment that money could buy.

And Alex Encel, brilliant! I haven't met him, but a nostalgia-tinged story about the end of his retail business is here:

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/hifi-pioneer-alex-encel-calls-it-a-day-20131127-2y8nf.html

• Like 2

On 19/06/2020 at 10:08 AM, bryansamui said:

What's it going to be jakeyb77? Rod Stewart or The Village People? Funny how she's one of the richest people on the planet with virtually nothing available to play in the Rolls. 

If I was in the rolls with her,........  she can play whatever she wants ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tripitaka said:

And Alex Encel, brilliant! I haven't met him, but a nostalgia-tinged story about the end of his retail business is here:

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/hifi-pioneer-alex-encel-calls-it-a-day-20131127-2y8nf.html

From the article:

The stereo system for which I paid a huge price 30 years ago is still performing perfectly. Where is the repeat business in that? There are many Encel customers like me, satisfied with the quality of their systems bought many years ago.

And then there was SNA ;)

• Like 2

Alex Encel seemed sensible. Sold sensible equipment and gave sensible advice.

Not based on fads or weird mumbo jumbo. I used to enjoy his weekly Green Guide columns.

I only got to visit the shop in Richmond twice, but it was a good experience both times.

Remarkable video! I cant believe it came out when I was only couples years old. People and reputable Hifi mags reviewers often described music as "sounding natural" which I've always had problem with because what is a natural sound?. Mr Encel conveyed the meaning of that 40 years ago.... :) 

Also, very Interesting take on Head-fi vs HiFi system. People should make more videos like this one rather than unboxing or reviewing one single piece of gear.   

Edited by AR9
  • Like 1

Well this video is all about the era I grew up in and as a 16-17 year old would go to Encel Stereo in Bridge rd Richmond and remember wanting to buy all that great Luxman and Rotel gear as seen on this video (check my member photo, Rotel RA5000 power amp know as "The Power Amp". The matching Rotel control amp, know as "The Control Amp" the RC5000 is shown in this video).

I ended up  buying from Encel a Rotel RA1312 amp in 79 (still have it and it's original box and manual) and still use it to this day.

Also bought the Rotel RP3000 turntable with Grace 707 arm and F9L cartridge. Still have them to but not being used at the moment.

That Luxman system that the piano teacher has was my dream system, so much so that I recently found an old exercise book I have and back then in 79 I wrote down that exact system as seen in this video as my ultimate system, with JBL monitors of course and I have just recently bought a Luxman M4000 power amp, all these years latter still my ultimate system for looks and sound wise.

Thanks for showing the link for the video, bought back lots of great memories of when l first started out in my hi fi hobby/interest.

• Like 3

Guest jakeyb77
On 23/06/2020 at 11:14 PM, Addicted to music said:

If I was in the rolls with her,........  she can play whatever she wants ?

“Hit the Road Jack” ??

On 24/06/2020 at 8:11 PM, AR9 said:

Remarkable video! I cant believe it came out when I was only couples years old. People and reputable Hifi mags reviewers often described music as "sounding natural" which I've always had problem with because what is a natural sound?. Mr Encel conveyed the meaning of that 40 years ago.... :) 

Also, very Interesting take on Head-fi vs HiFi system. People should make more videos like this one rather than unboxing or reviewing one single piece of gear.   

Remarkable indeed ! Only Jana with her investigative journalism style would go so in-depth. Can’t image the shallow mainstream press today ever doing anything like this 

does anyone know how this video ended up on YouTube. It’s an amazing time capsule of hifi of the time ! Extremely grateful of who ever responsible for procuring it and getting on the web :D 

The blonde in the roll's shattered my tweeters, blew my base, and liquefied my o2 free cables.....I'm a mess.   They don't build them like that anymore. Damn shame.  I still own a skivvy or two, and rock them.

Edited by dlr

25 minutes ago, dlr said:

The blonde in the roll's shattered my tweeters, blew my base, and liquefied my o2 free cables.....I'm a mess.   They don't build them like that anymore. Damn shame.  I still own a skivvy or two, and rock them.

Did you pop your tweeters?

1 hour ago, dlr said:

Yes sir...all over my skivvy. ?

Just remember that blonde would be in her late 60s, maybe early 70s now - also she would be someone’s Grandmother so show some respect.  I do agree though that she was very beautiful.  

Imagine if someone here knew who she was/is and is reporting back to her what we are saying.  Remember, in the scheme of things, It is a small world - especially for Hi-Fi lovers past and present in Melbourne and Australia.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, captain starlight said:

Just remember that blonde would be in her late 60s, maybe early 70s now - also she would be someone’s Grandmother so show some respect.  I do agree though that she was very beautiful.  

Imagine if someone here knew who she was/is and is reporting back to her what we are saying.  Remember, in the scheme of things, It is a small world - especially for Hi-Fi lovers past and present in Melbourne and Australia.

I think she is more likely to be in her late 70s or eighties, my friend.

1979 was a long time ago now!

4 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I think she is more likely to be in her late 70s or eighties, my friend.

1979 was a long time ago now!

It was 41 years ago.  Not that long ago really as I have memories from then.   I am guessing she was in her mid to late 20s in that video.  Can’t imagine her being much past 30 though.  Jana is in her early 20s in this film and I don’t think this lady is too much past Jana.

really curious who she is/was.  Having a rolls but listening to the village people implies to me she has old money - ie born or married into it.   I reckon if we really wanted to find out, then Alex may have an idea - I am guessing all those people in the video were his customers and Jana worked with him to get their interviews.

• Administrator

I showed this video to Sam Encel (Alex's son, who now heads up Interdyn) who also loved it. It was one he's actually never seen either.

Alex still gets around. He was at our Hi-Fi Show in 2018 for quite some time, keeping a relatively low profile but I saw him having some great chats to those that did recognise him.

• Like 3