What are your Lockdown Projects?

Sub Sonic

Building an RJM Audio - Emerald Dual-Mono MM/MC Phono Stage.

Looks like a pretty reasonably easy build thus far, just need to find some nice enclosures that everything will fit in!

Should look something like this when done, with another enclosure with the Transformer and Bridge Rectifiers.

Emerald.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daolodish said:

Building an RJM Audio - Emerald Dual-Mono MM/MC Phono Stage.

Looks like a pretty reasonably easy build thus far, just need to find some nice enclosures that everything will fit in!

Should look something like this when done, with another enclosure with the Transformer and Bridge Rectifiers.

Mmmm - I see the specs say "Switch between 47.5k and 100 ohm input load ".  That's a shame - as, whilst 47.5K is an entirely appropriate load for MM, 100 ohms is suitable for only a small segment of MC carts.  :(

Andy

1 minute ago, andyr said:

Mmmm - I see the specs say "Switch between 47.5k and 100 ohm input load ".  That's a shame - as, whilst 47.5K is an entirely appropriate load for MM, 100 ohms is suitable for only a small segment of MC carts.  :(

Andy

Luckily they provide an excellent spreadsheet with appropriate resistor values in order to set the correct loading and input sensitivities.

Spreadsheet

10 minutes ago, Daolodish said:

Luckily they provide an excellent spreadsheet with appropriate resistor values in order to set the correct loading and input sensitivities.

Spreadsheet

So you can get a much higher load impedance than 100 ohms, for a LOMC cart (using the 60dB gain setting)?

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

So you can get a much higher load impedance than 100 ohms, for a LOMC cart (using the 60dB gain setting)?

Andy

Correct, you just have to swap out the R2 loading resistor to the appropriate value you're chasing.

12 hours ago, Daolodish said:

Correct, you just have to swap out the R2 loading resistor to the appropriate value you're chasing.

Strange - looking at the 'Worksheet' in the Excel s/sheet ... it seems to talk primarily about adjusting gain??

Which LOMC cart are you going to use with the Emerald?

Andy

19 hours ago, Daolodish said:

I'm going to be using it with my DL103, so nothing crazy low output.

Specs I read say coil impedance of the DL103 is 40 ohms - so I would suggest optimum loading will be anywhere between 470 ohms ... and 4700 ohms (10x - 100x coil impedance).

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

I get confused between kanji and katakana, Con.  9_9

No problem. Japanese uses all 3 character sets. You can't learn Japanese without knowing all of them.

Hiragana: ひらがな

Katakana: カタカナ

Kanji: 漢字

There are about 50 of the top two, and 6000 of the last (though only 2300 are in common use.) Kanji are basically the Japanese adopted Chinese characters almost unchanged.

If anyone's looking for a lockdown project, learning Japanese will keep you going for, oh, a lifetime?

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

If anyone's looking for a lockdown project, learning Japanese will keep you going for, oh, a lifetime?

I once complained to my Japanese teacher at school (she was actually Japanese) how hard the language was to learn. She replied “You should try learning English!” ?

At least Japanese is more methodical and has fewer exceptions than English.

Cheers,

SS

• Like 2

Don’t mind I share my COVID-19 curfew project?! 
I did the entire listening room by using what I have currently and timber fencing from Bunnings. 
This was the room before.... 
FE70E9CA-5278-4E02-A4C9-5E7E59BA65E9.thumb.jpeg.48e8f6a3792e8806062dfa75f1c2ecf7.jpeg

During Constructions....

BC5CD0D7-8FC6-4478-9C52-06B2C045AD63.thumb.jpeg.e88147e23184b772bb7c0895dd0eedfc.jpeg

The final finish after two days....

1BC32CA4-1CBD-4CA2-8FF2-B51AEC1A6017.thumb.jpeg.89211f838e91299690f0abca269663a1.jpeg
484C077F-23F0-484C-9318-69A2AD9A4C11.thumb.jpeg.f5f2598c2cdbe5d13053d8f2eb0abf60.jpeg

Thanks for looking... feel free to provide your critics...! 
Cheers. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Don’t mind I share my COVID-19 curfew project?! 
I did the entire listening room by using what I have currently and timber fencing from Bunnings. 

Thanks for looking... feel free to provide your critics...! 
Cheers. 

Looks great! What timber fencing did you go with from bunnings?

@Chanh I couldn’t agree with you more mate. I treated my second reflection point only a few days ago and imaging+sound stage went up another level.

can you describe how they have improved your existing setup?

cheer

Justin

2 hours ago, jgunner said:

@Chanh I couldn’t agree with you more mate. I treated my second reflection point only a few days ago and imaging+sound stage went up another level.

can you describe how they have improved your existing setup?

cheer

Justin

Hi Justin,

what I have noticed were the larger scale of the sound stage. The resolutions was incredibly obvious, and way better focus. Most of all, both micro and macro dynamics were evidently better. 
when this bl@@dy COVID-19 is over, I hope to have few locals to validate my observations. 

My next project is to address the ceiling with timber blocks diffusers.. 
Cheers. 

• Like 1