Dueland Silver By Pass Caps

I have just purchased a pair of Dueland Silver bypass capacitors to go with the 35mf Clarity Cap MRs on the mid range of My TDL Studio 4s. After just a few hours of listening I notice much more detail and more generally open sound. It seems to a worthwhile upgrade for the cost, about $70 per cap. I would be interested to hear if others have a similar experience with these capacitors?

Regards,

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks John, Very interesting! I am hoping the sound of my spaekers will improve with a few mor =e hours. I will probably investing in another pair for the tweeter circuit.

Peter

• Like 1

@Fortmont

Sorry, just have to say, not trying to pick a fight, but really interested if a difference could be measured in this type of instance.

I change the E88CC tube from the bog standard version to a NOS Siemens SQ , and can hear a startling difference. In my 13 year old son's words...it sounds 'Fuller.'

Like in what you have done I am sure it would make a difference, no doubt in mind it would. 

37 minutes ago, Somethingclever said:

but really interested if a difference could be measured in this type of instance.

If the difference is audible... then it can most definitely be measured.    Our ability to record/measure a signal is vastly higher resolution than the ear.

That said, it may not show up on standard kinda of measurements (eg. frequency response, distortion).

37 minutes ago, Somethingclever said:

and can hear a startling difference

Definitely would show up with basic-ish signal analysis.

• Love 1

I haven't used these yet but know their reputation and have used, and use other Duelund capacitors, but will be adding these across the tweeter caps on a pair of Aurum Cantus Melody 103 speakers of a friend in a few weeks for him, while in there I'll be changing the internal wire to Duelund 20awg solid core copper in oil impregnated cotton.

I think the cap in them is a Mundorf Mcap Supreme, so the Duelund Silver bypass caps will go across those.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I used a pair across some Miflex KFPM-1 in a DAC and they made an enormous difference in terms of added tone/colour coming through, detail and open sound stage.  Very natural. 

Now they cost half of what they used to I couldn't help ordering a pair in case I find a use for them. Fantastic caps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

If the difference is audible... then it can most definitely be measured.    Our ability to record/measure a signal is vastly higher resolution than the ear.

That said, it may not show up on standard kinda of measurements (eg. frequency response, distortion).

So if it doesn't show up on "standard kinda of measurements " ... surely all that means is ... you've been measuring the wrong things.

So how are you going to find out what it is you need to measure?  :P

Andy

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andyr said:

So if it doesn't show up on "standard kinda of measurements " ... surely all that means is ... you've been measuring the wrong things.

So how are you going to find out what it is you need to measure?  :P

Andy

For example how do you measure the quantum displacement filed that is oscillating at the speed of light and potentially opening a rupture in the time-space reality where all bass frequencies can easily escape and lead to less timbre, colour and presentation in sound waves. I bet you will need to use some quantum purifiers in that case to amplify the field.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fortmont said:

I would be interested to hear if others have a similar experience with these capacitors?

Only since you asked, I did not. I couldn't hear any difference at all when I tried them in speaker crossovers to either my tweeters or midranges. I've only heard differences when the bypass capacitors I tried were 10% of the capacitance instead of .1% as these are.

• Like 1

The nay-sayers don't consider why they don't hear a difference other than that there is no difference.

Edit: all it means is that for themselves there was no difference, for whatever reason/s.

An then we have the nay-sayers that have not even tried them.

Isn't this hobby fun.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

I know @Ittaku has a pretty incredible system and the DAC in particular is end game as are his open baffles so I'm not sure why it wasn't audible with his system. Then again, when a system is already at a certain level how much further can it be improved. The law of diminishing returns kicks in heavily at a point.

Then again, I've never tried them in speakers though rather on tube buffer coupling caps in my DAC so I imagine their may be some differences there.

10 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Then again, I've never tried them in speakers though rather on tube buffer coupling caps in my DAC so I imagine their may be some differences there.

How big are the tube buffer coupling caps, and what type of cap are they? Perhaps it's because I was already starting with high quality MKP caps (midrange) or even polystyrene film and foil (tweeters) to begin with, and the step up wasn't as big? Moving to much larger value copper foil in paper caps as bypass was a marked improvement by comparison.

18 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I know @Ittaku has a pretty incredible system and the DAC in particular is end game as are his open baffles so I'm not sure why it wasn't audible with his system. Then again, when a system is already at a certain level how much further can it be improved. The law of diminishing returns kicks in heavily at a point.

Plenty of Mike Lenehan's customers have gone the upgrade using these in his speakers, and very happy with the audible results.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MattyW said:

To me it is not about how incredible or serious a system might be.  It is all about the listener and not the system.  It is the ability of the listener to detect the benefit or otherwise of a change.  Sometimes I can and sometimes I cannot hear a benefit.  It is about awareness of the individual listener to acknowledge the limits of what they can or cannot discern.

I also have a very serious system.  I could easily discern the benefit of the capacitors in my speakers.  My partner has a minuscule interest in my system.  Rarely she comments about my system Surprisingly she commented that she heard a benefit with the bypass capacitors. 

I agree with your position on the law of diminishing returns.  Nevertheless there is often a bit more blood in the stone.  Surprisingly so sometimes. 

John

Edited by Assisi
  • Like 1

I was bypassing a pair of 1uf Miflex KFPM-1 caps with mine, they were on the output of the DAC. I've 0.47uf Arizona Blue Cactus Caps on the tube coupling caps. Made what to me was a huge difference.

My mistake before, it was the output caps I used them on. My apologies for any confusion caused.

Edited by MattyW

28 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I was bypassing a pair of 1uf Miflex KFPM-1 caps with mine, they were on the output of the DAC. I've 0.47uf Arizona Blue Cactus Caps on the tube coupling caps. Made what to me was a huge difference.

My mistake before, it was the output caps I used them on. My apologies for any confusion caused.

That's a much bigger bypass than mine. Mine were to 9uF and 80uF caps.

The Duelund silver bypass caps were only little 0.01uf caps

EDIT: Oh, I get you.  Your base caps were much higher capacity is what you meant. I'm not sure how it could help such large values....

Edited by MattyW

29 minutes ago, MattyW said:

EDIT: Oh, I get you.  Your base caps were much higher capacity is what you meant. I'm not sure how it could help such large values....

That's what I've been getting at. Unless your base caps are small, I can't see how these can help, but some people insist they're getting fantastic results even bypassing large caps whereas I haven't found they do anything when they're less than 1% of the total capacitance.

20 minutes ago, muon* said:

Most tweeter caps will be smallish, no more than 4.7uf.

Edit: often 3.3uf or 2.7uf or the like.

That still makes The Duellund bypass .01uf caps less than 1% of the total capacitance.