RME AFI 2 DAC FS

RME make great pro audio ADC and DAC devices. This is a cut down version of one of their world renowned studio versions and comes with all of the fruit a DAC should have as well as a lot of DSP capabilities.

If it’s anything like the other RME gear I’ve used over the years it will be clean, precise and hugely configurable. German studio engineering at its finest. This stuff is used in studios because it’s extremely accurate and detailed not because it’s warm or has some sort of tube output stage.

If it wasn’t half width form factor I’d probably already have one in my stereo cabinet. If they ever get around to making a streamer version (Ethernet enabled like the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge) it will be a killer.

• Like 1

Interesting one this. I am a big RME fan, have had an RME Fireface400 AD/DAC for some years now and it is very good. As other posters have said, very clean and accurate. Had been using it for ripping vinyl. Have watching the progress with the ADI-2 models over the last couple of years. I think the ADI-2 DAC is great bit of kit, they both are. The reviews I’ve read, including the one referenced here are interesting but you note it’s all about measurements with no comment on how they sound.

I am considering replacing my Fireface with the ADI-2 Pro fs at some stage and seeing how it stacks up against my other DAC, a Luxman DA-250. 

• Like 1

I've just bought my second unit.  I use it as a preamp, due to its hybrid digital/analogue volume control. The version I recently purchased has an 'upgraded' chip with better slightly improved measurements.  I can't hear a difference!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seaninbrisbane said:

I've just bought my second unit.  I use it as a preamp, due to its hybrid digital/analogue volume control. The version I recently purchased has an 'upgraded' chip with better slightly improved measurements.  I can't hear a difference!

What's a good price to pay and where?

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a RME ADI 2DAC FS. Should be getting it in the next few days. 

Yes, anyone with a Klein DAC would like to compare it with my RME ADI 2 DAC FS??

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 4

On 11/02/2020 at 11:48 AM, lemarquis said:

Going for around $1500 at Minidisc.

I'd also like to hear impressions on this DAC. Certainly seems very functional and covers DSD and the highest PCM rates, but how does it sound compared to the Klein DACs et al?

Minidisc are also selling the 2019 version which are using the new AKM chipsets. It also has a new remote and a higher price tag.

The DAC is very transparent compared to a Schitt MB Jotenheim. The Jotenheim MB DAC was warmer sounding.

• Like 2

I did read about someone comparing one of these with SW1X DAC's over in Dr Slawa's (owner of SW1X Audio) system.  Compared with SW1X DAC 1, 2 and 5.... Apparently the SW1X was significantly better.

The same review indicated the difference was far smaller through headphones.

Anyway,  without having heard each who knows?  Personal preference means plenty of disagreement as to what is actually better.

Found the comparison:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sw1x-dacs-and-more.924286/

Edited by MattyW

On 26/02/2020 at 5:28 PM, MattyW said:

I did read about someone comparing one of these with SW1X DAC's over in Dr Slawa's (owner of SW1X Audio) system.  Compared with SW1X DAC 1, 2 and 5.... Apparently the SW1X was significantly better.

The same review indicated the difference was far smaller through headphones.

Anyway,  without having heard each who knows?  Personal preference means plenty of disagreement as to what is actually better.

Found the comparison:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sw1x-dacs-and-more.924286/

Extremely happy with the sound of this DAC. The settings it offers is just phenomenal as well. 

The SW1X is a custom DAC that looks much more expensive.

On 27/02/2020 at 7:26 PM, Sansui77 said:

Extremely happy with the sound of this DAC. The settings it offers is just phenomenal as well. 

The SW1X is a custom DAC that looks much more expensive.

Abbas Audio is boutique also. ;)