Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

This is my rebuilt MMC20EN cart on the Beogram 4002. This was rebuilt about two years ago by a talented gentleman in Melbourne. From memory it's a boron cantilever with FG stylus although memory on it is a bit sketchy. All I know is it totally out performs my MMC20CL.

54baaaefd167e714c01ad872734cc35f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Love B&O turntables - they look timeless.

Nagaoka MP-50 back on the P10 after a long hiatus.  Sounds excellent.  Being driven beautifully by @@andyr Muse phono stage.  

Andy - the phono is a nice step up from the previous version I heard from a few hours listening  :thumb:       I do like the 100k loading - seems to add treble extension and some edge when required on rock recordings. This is something the majority of mm's suffer from in comparison to LOMC's.  the 100k loading seems to balance that comparison a bit better imo.   I wish it had two inputs thou  :)

25894126506_3ae1d433a4_b.jpg

25291011253_2e476b2da0_b.jpg

25920025335_caedb5c707_b.jpg

• Like 6

Love B&O turntables - they look timeless.

Nagaoka MP-50 back on the P10 after a long hiatus.  Sounds excellent.  Being driven beautifully by @@andyr Muse phono stage.  

Andy - the phono is a nice step up from the previous version I heard from a few hours listening  :thumb:       I do like the 100k loading - seems to add treble extension and some edge when required on rock recordings. This is something the majority of mm's suffer from in comparison to LOMC's.  the 100k loading seems to balance that comparison a bit better imo.   I wish it had two inputs thou  :)

Did I hear you mention a "P" something?

:love

25291011253_2e476b2da0_b.jpg

Great to hear, Shane.  Yes, the circuit has evolved since you last heard it - what, 2 years ago?  :thumb:   The key thing about the way I organise loading - IMO - is that, yes, the default loading I use of 100K will be better than 47K for some carts and some records ... but is easily changed to some other value, using load plugs, if another value sounds better for that cart, for a particular LP.  For instance, I reckon both my Grado RR1 and Stanton WOS CS100 (think 981)  sound better at around 35K than 47K.

Does the 49dB gain cope OK with your 1mV MM?

Just for those readers who might be interested ... the digital meters show the battery charge when those micro-switches are down.  When the switches are up, the meters are not powered ... to save battery drain! :)

I am in the process of building a 2-input Muse for myself - so I can certainly do it for you.  :D   The one set of 4x SLAs is used to power either one pair of phono boards ... or a second pair.  (I don't believe in switching inputs at this low level.)  In my case, I am having one pair of boards for MM and the 2nd pair for a LOMC ... but I can just as easily make it 2 pairs of MM boards ... with, say, slightly different gain.

Regards,

Andy

• Like 2

I do like the 100k loading - seems to add treble extension and some edge when required on rock recordings. This is something the majority of mm's suffer from in comparison to LOMC's.  the 100k loading seems to balance that comparison a bit better imo.   I wish it had two inputs thou  :)

Interesting..

My Rotel RA1412's MM input has switchable 25/50/100K loading and I prefer the 100K with the Ortofon 2M Black thats on the Pioneer PLX 1000

Cheers Tase.

• Like 1

I finally got around to installing the Hana SL I bought from Krispy a while ago on my RP8. I had no real expectations for this cartridge, but the reasonable price made it a good match for the RP8.

It sounds excellent - a little on the warmer side of neutral, but not coloured, quite dynamic and very musical. I like it better than the AT33PTG/ii at a similar price, although the latter is a bit smoother (and brighter). I suspect the Hana will get a bit smoother as it runs in - I only have about 10 hours on it so far. I also like it better than the Lyra Delos - not as fast and dynamic (although fast enough) but also not as coloured. It reminds me a lot of the Ortofon Cadenza Black on my LP12, at a fraction of the price. A very balanced, musical cartridge - a  pleasant surprise and highly recommended.

.IMG_1317.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Ross; wondered if someone was going to try one of these out. Must pick one up. I like my Delos alot, so will enjoy the Hana. Super reasonably priced.

Thanks for the review @@rossb better than Delos that's a huge claim.

I should emphasise that I like it better than the Delos. I'm not saying that it is better in an absolute sense (although it may be). Also, I am not a huge fan of Lyra cartridges in general, so read my comments in that context.

Thanks Ross; wondered if someone was going to try one of these out. Must pick one up. I like my Delos alot, so will enjoy the Hana. Super reasonably priced.

Yes, at the price it is hard to go wrong. But again, don't assume that because you like the Delos you will like this better. It may be that because you like the Delos (which I don't) you may not like this as much. But worth experimenting with. So far I am enjoying the Hana SL enormously.

I finally got around to installing the Hana SL I bought from Krispy a while ago on my RP8. I had no real expectations for this cartridge, but the reasonable price made it a good match for the RP8.

It sounds excellent - a little on the warmer side of neutral, but not coloured, quite dynamic and very musical. I like it better than the AT33PTG/ii at a similar price, although the latter is a bit smoother (and brighter). I suspect the Hana will get a bit smoother as it runs in - I only have about 10 hours on it so far. I also like it better than the Lyra Delos - not as fast and dynamic (although fast enough) but also not as coloured. It reminds me a lot of the Ortofon Cadenza Black on my LP12, at a fraction of the price. A very balanced, musical cartridge - a  pleasant surprise and highly recommended.

.IMG_1317.jpg

How much? I've not heard of the cart.

• Like 1

no - lloyd abhors tubes in phono stages. i don't necessarily agree with him nor some of his other more extreme deas on what improves sound quality. i wouldn't mind one of his tt's though.

btw, the unit on the left is the power supply and the phonostage is on the right.

• Like 1

No phono stage just my trusty Luxman pre amp with phone input and ortofon OM10 cartridge . I know it's cheap but that came with my project carbon debut and I plan to get the 2m Blue and a few kind members have offered to change cartridge for me. Not keen on re-alignment, re balance or even change the cartridge. 7e1b3299d57efd7a4039a7f751c015e7.jpgf4cf30a26f0322214e3d57fedf69f357.jpg

• Like 2

No phono stage just my trusty Luxman pre amp with phone input and ortofon OM10 cartridge . I know it's cheap but that came with my project carbon debut and I plan to get the 2m Blue and a few kind members have offered to change cartridge for me. Not keen on re-alignment, re balance or even change the cartridge.

I have an OM 20 stylus for sale that you could use as a decent upgrade with no alignment changes. It is significantly better than the 10 you are currently using.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...