Server / Streamer options in the 5-10 k range.

Hi,

I just came across this, so a bit late in the chat.  Here's some ideas to consider.

As background, I have a Antipodes Edge (with Synergistic Research Blue fuse) using as Roon Core with ethernet connection via switch to Devialet Pro Core Infinity streaming board.  Even with a cheap switch with LPS, it sounds pretty damn awesome!  Synergistic Research blue fuse and Atmosphere digital power cable really improved things.  Here's my observations ...

Separating Roon Core/server and RoonReady endpoint/render is genius, so seriously good sound.  Hence the Antipodes EX-CX combo.  I feel it could be the future of digital audio, but not sure if other software enables this yet (i'd guess more will follow).  Having Roon endpoint integrated with the DAC has greater advanage of effectively synchronising the data and DAC clocks.

This highlights the importance of network quality.  Contrary to IT experts views, upgrading ethernet is very worthwhile, so your budget may need to consider some decent ethernet cables (I have Wireworld Starlight CAT 8 which has triple sheilding and are now half price due to close out) and switch or fibre optical isolation. Etherregen is now available too.

So think about getting a good server as Roon Core:

- Nucleus is well rated by Stereophile

- also Google Roon ROCK NUC for more info about NUCs if you wannd DIY, or some places assemble them 

- bespoke servers that run Roon Core are a bit rare

There are lots of RoonReady devices.  Plenty of DACs are Roon Ready, but your Kiis have DACs already, not sure how good tho.

The Sonore OpticalRendu could be a way to achieve isolation from network noise (you'll need a Medai Convertor at the server side of the fibre cable which are only about $60).  Plug it into the Kii control via USB and rely on the Kii Three DACs.  Kii Control is Roon tested, so most likely conpatible, but I'm not sure of its Roon capabilities.

You might get better results with a Roon Ready DAC.

Anyhow, I hope this is food for thought.

Edited by dbastin