Streaming over WiFi versus Ethernet Connection

On 06/09/2019 at 12:47 PM, Snoopy8 said:

A wifi signal is subject to external interference, slower and has more latency than wired.  5G wifi is affected more by walls than 2.4G.  

Please have a read of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/217463/wi-fi-vs.-ethernet-how-much-better-is-a-wired-connection/

Use wired when you can.  Otherwise, try to improve wifi coverage as best as you can.

Well Mr Marantz himself, Ken Ishiwata designed his Reference Series Streamer the NA 11 to be sorely used with a LAN line. No distortions and extraneous noise from using wifi. Since there's no wifi option, I can't compare it directly, but I can tell you, the sound from the NA 11 is pretty awesome.

Returning to the OP, there is so much marginal science and engineering posted, all over the net on this, and similar subjects, that all you can do, I suspect, is indeed, try it for yourself. 

Try to honest with yourself in your evaluations,  and then be happy with the solution you find works for you.  Sit back and just enjoy the music :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Returning to the OP, there is so much marginal science and engineering posted, all over the net on this, and similar subjects, that all you can do, I suspect, is indeed, try it for yourself. 

Try to honest with yourself in your evaluations,  and then be happy with the solution you find works for you.  Sit back and just enjoy the music :)

+1

Easiest thing to do is to pull the WiFi or swap to Ethernet, and see what you've got by ear. 

For the OP - make sure when you do that you actually pull the hardware. As in don't just 'switch off' WiFi, if there's the ability to open up the box and physically remove the hardware, do that. 

+1000 on the marginal science bit. What SoTM et al charge for 'audiophile' Ethernet cable is laughable, and CAT8 specs etc well exceed what they're supposed to do to be decent in any capacity that does anything for audiophile performance. 

To the OP: ignore all the 'noise' - of the bits-are-bits kind! - and spend very little money to try for yourself. Believe me, replacing wifi with ethernet WILL be an upgrade. Get a Cat8 cable for its superior shielding. 

I did all of this recently, and ended up spending an extra $100 for a 12V linear supply to my Netgear router, although to be honest that may be a small step in the right direction, considering the drives and network card in my PC are still being powered by the regular supply.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

For what it’s worth, running Ethernet cable is actually pretty easy.  I bought 150m spool for not much.  You need a termination kit and some connectors.  You need a powered hub near your router, and then run cables under floor or trough roof to wall plates.  I was completely new to it all, but it was ok.  You could try the single connection that you’re asking about, then try more from there!

Here’s my mess in a laundry cupboard....

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

For what it’s worth, running Ethernet cable is actually pretty easy.  

Technically you're supposed to be a licensed cabler :p 

54 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Technically you're supposed to be a licensed cabler ?

True.  I have a friend with a cabling registration who was happy to oversee.  Having said that, it was all still pretty straightforward.  I’d imagine it shouldn’t cost too much to have someone run some cables.  It’s mainly access that’s the issue....

2 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Technically you're supposed to be a licensed cabler ?

Technically yes, but It’s not rocket science ?

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

True.  I have a friend with a cabling registration who was happy to oversee.  Having said that, it was all still pretty straightforward.  I’d imagine it shouldn’t cost too much to have someone run some cables.  It’s mainly access that’s the issue....

Always better to rough it in during a build....  I did that 14yrs ago when I was building, I had  300mtr of cat5 going from nearly every room to the 2nd story roof.....   took photos of every point where it was to be before the plaster was hung and then when when we moved in......Wi-Fi! ?

• Like 1

Ethernet cables are directional, at least that's what I found with all that I've tried so far.  So make sure to try both ways.

As for the ELECOM Cat8 cables (I've tried 5 so far) they sound correct following the wording direction printed on their cable jacket.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Ethernet cables are directional, at least that's what I found with all that I've tried so far.  So make sure to try both ways.

As for the ELECOM Cat8 cables (I've tried 5 so far) they sound correct following the wording direction printed on their cable jacket.

In fact, they are bi-directional. They have separate send and receive pairs ?

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback everyone! I'll see if I can borrow a few meters of cat8 Ethernet cable sometime to give it a try. Probably just need 5 meters to run across the passage from the study to the lounge.  If I pick up any notable SQ differences then I'll consider how to do a more permanent run. Though I won't be going into my unit to disconnect any WiFi circuitry.

1 hour ago, Ed Sky said:

Thanks all for the feedback everyone! I'll see if I can borrow a few meters of cat8 Ethernet cable sometime to give it a try. Probably just need 5 meters to run across the passage from the study to the lounge.  If I pick up any notable SQ differences then I'll consider how to do a more permanent run. Though I won't be going into my unit to disconnect any WiFi circuitry.

Just buy it... It's not expensive. 

Or try this for a cheap experiment - jump on 4cabling and buy the length you need in CAT5e and CAT6a. See if you can hear any difference. It'll be cheap to try.

CAT8 is going to be 'more of it' if you get a result that works in your situation.

21 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

I also use a 5m ELECOM Cat8 cable.

It only cost $34.90 Sing Dollars. Very cheap, for very big jump in sound quality.

If you can find it, make sure you follow the direction of printed words 

m40616822947-1.jpg

Good price. I paid a bit more in Akihabara.

36 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Good price. I paid a bit more in Akihabara.

What made you buy this particular brand and cable?

In my case I started by trying out their 4K HDMI cable after some recommendations by customer. Found them to be very good sound wise. Then tried their cat6 cable, good. Then tried cat7 cable

Better. Tried thicker cat7 cable. Even better. Then tried cat8 cable. Jaw dropped.

?

Random counter-observation just as a data point. Cat5 sounded the same as cat6 which sounded the same as cat7 to me. Did not try cat8, and I'm quite sure cat4 also sounds the same. Expectation bias or science? Again doesn't matter if they all sound the same to me. Your kilometreage may vary.

I am seeing a huge parallel here with the power cable debate.  Somehow the last couple of meters matter, despite it the data coming right around the world through all sorts of weird connections. [emoji4]

You always misunderstanding. It's mostly the noice in audiogear that is the issues.

The signal is intact but before the Dac it's important for instance noice from the router, Emi etcetera..

And the connection from the servers isn't weird, they are shielded an up to specs.

My Supra isn't expensive, 20 bucks.