General Headphone Chat

Guest Benjet
Which mod? Dupont one?

I did like the HD800. Just so very open, need the right setting

Yep, also got some Black Dragon cables on the way. I’ve always liked the HD800 but couldn’t get over the shrillness of its mids. Mod had gone a long way to fixing this and hope the cable puts it across the line. Loving the pairing of the tubes and these cans.

Anyone in Melbourne may wanna go to David Jones on Bourke Street,  Men department on level 3 where they have the HD800S and HD820 side by side for comparison in their audio demo room. 

I picked up a pair of HD800 after having the Audeze LCD2C for a bit and decided to keep both! They complement each other quite well. HD800 is reference, super detail and massive sound stage. The Audeze is intimate and warm, bit better bass. 

• Like 2

Guest Benjet
Legit. Your David Jones has headphones?

We have like one store up here now that has the odd Audeze model. That's about it.

Which store are you taking about?

3 hours ago, Benjet said:

Which store are you taking about?

Federal Audio have a few Audeze models you can demo. Think they are Geebung area.

Audio Tailor has stopped stocking headphones, so only have a few models left, but not many.

JB Hifi sells iBuds too if you're keen.

I live 40-minutes from MInidisc in Chatswood NSW, I went there last week and demoed HD800s using a Sennhesier amp.

They're very detailed headphone, worth of a purchase. I used my own music and there was some areas I felt were slightly weak.

Some tracks during impact sections the soundstage explodes outwards on the  left/right channels, I didn't feel the full experience from that with HD800s. Overall, I would buy a pair in the used market because with the time I spent they impressed me with their detail and vocals.

At Minisic they have every headphone brand/model on racks, you can grab any model to sit down and listen.

The one that impressed me most for the price of $200 was Fostex T50 RP MK3 I preffered that over the newer T60 RP.

Some that were less impressive were the Shure models.

Edited by Ewok209
  • Like 1

Thanks for the great impression of hd800, I'm really interested in getting an Modhouse Argon mk3. It's a T50RP mod and meant to be a big improvement over standard and good value for the money.
I would love to visit mindisc one day

I live 40-minutes from MInidisc in Chatswood NSW, IU went there last week and demoed HD800s using a Sennhesier amp.

They're very detailed headphone, worth of a purchase. I used my own music and there was some areas I felt were slightly weak.

Some tracks during impact sections the soundstage explodes outwards on the  left/right channels, I didn't feel the full experience from that with HD800s. Overall, I would buy a pair in the used market because with the time I spent they impressed me with their detail and vocals.

At Minisic they have every headphone brand/model on racks, you can grab any model to sit down and listen.

The one that impressed me most for the price of $200 was Fostex T50 RP MK3 I proffered that over the newer T60 RP.

Some that were less impressive were the Shure models.
  • Like 2

Just now, Farpun said:

Thanks for the great impression of hd800, I'm really interested in getting an Modhouse Argon mk3. It's a T50RP mod and meant to be a big improvement over standard and good value for the money.
I would love to visit mindisc one day

I'll be heading back over soon I imagine to grab those Fostex. Its a really big deal being able to test headphones like this, you can narrow down what you want without playing mind games online. The only problem is,   if you go there too much without buying something you do  feel cheap, its a small store run by one guy mostly.

But damn yeh, they have every popular headphone, IEM, DAP, dac/amps,  I took my iBasso DX90 and listen to what you like, only the high-end models are behind the counter, you just ask.

I watch Lachlanlikeathing on YouTube who now works at mindisc so they have great staff.
I asked them about ordering in a hard to find headphone and they were really helpful.
I really want to support them because there's not many stores like them these days.

I'll be heading back over soon I imagine to grab those Fostex. Its a really big deal being able to test headphones like this, you can narrow down what you want without playing mind games online. The only problem is,   if you go there too much without buying something you do  feel cheap, its a small store run by one guy mostly.

But damn yeh, they have every popular headphone, IEM, DAP, dac/amps,  I took my iBasso DX90 and listen to what you like, only the high-end models are behind the counter, you just ask.
  • Like 2

Just now, Farpun said:

I watch Lachlanlikeathing on YouTube who now works at mindisc so they have great staff.
I asked them about ordering in a hard to find headphone and they were really helpful.
I really want to support them because there's not many stores like them these days.

He turned up about 10-minutes before I was leaving. :) 

They're nice guys, very helpful.

If I go over again, I"ll grab some photos of the headphone racks, when you're addicited to audio gear its like heaven there lol. :P 

• Like 1

Yeah that would be great, since moving to south coast NSW it's alot harder to get there

He turned up about 10-minutes before I was leaving. [emoji4] 

They're nice guys, very helpful.

If I go over again, I"ll grab some photos of the headphone racks, when you're addicited to audio gear its like heaven there lol. [emoji14] 

So I had two new customers a couple of months ago. They were just here for a KEF LSX but they were obviously aficionado with interests in head fi (using Sony NW Hires WM and Shure 846 IEMs) and I err ended up poisoning them with hifi gear.. and they now have some really incredible systems.

Then last week, one of them was out shopping for a friend's birthday and ended up in the LV shop where they chanced upon LV's rebadging of Master & Dynamic MW07 wireless headphones.

I ended up calling around to see if there was a local dealer for them to listen to them.. and turned out one of our current partners is the distributor. So I ended up becoming a dealer. And getting a pair for myself.

I chose boring blue. They chose the special edition Peach Blossoms

https://www.masterdynamic.com/products/mw07-true-wireless-earphones

1920x1080_PC_1600x.jpg?v=1551739477

master_dynamic_mw07cb_mw07_true_wireless_earphones_1553917518000_1465602.jpg

I picked up a pair of Focal Clear from Minidisc on Friday. I'm amazed by how easy they are to drive. I've been using my Ak240 and my Note 9.

My Chord Hugo has recently been sent back to the UK for repairs. I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a quote, hopefully it's only the batteries that need to be repaired.

I'm sure that they will sing with the Chord Hugo.

I'm tempted to buy the Chord Mojo to as a tempory solution.

Wing at Minidisc is great to deal with.

• Like 1

Guest Benjet
Which mod? Dupont one?

I did like the HD800. Just so very open, need the right setting

I’ve been messing around for the last few day rolling some tubes through my amp. The 800’s really need the right combination of tubes to sound their best but once you find it... oh Lordy these thing sing. Mind=[emoji2962]

Anyone rate these for under $60 delivered?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lindy-HF-20-Lightweight-Stereo-Headphones/391565908918?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

I only use cans in short in-frequent bursts of under an hour, to A-B vinyl in my setup at home.

I guess I could take these on PT weekdays too, but at the moment I'm just using IEM's and they are fine.

I probably sound like a broken record but get the Koss Portapros, really bang for buck for sound quality. They're $69.95 at mindisc and well worth the money, you'll also be supporting an Australian small business at the same time.

Anyone rate these for under $60 delivered?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lindy-HF-20-Lightweight-Stereo-Headphones/391565908918?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

I only use cans in short in-frequent bursts of under an hour, to A-B vinyl in my setup at home.
I guess I could take these on PT weekdays too, but at the moment I'm just using IEM's and they are fine.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Farpun said:

I probably sound like a broken record but get the Koss Portapros, really bang for buck for sound quality. They're $69.95 at mindisc and well worth the money, you'll also be supporting an Australian small business at the same time.

Wow - they ain't gonna win any beauty contests, are they?!?  :no:

OK - and where should I buy?

Wow - they ain't gonna win any beauty contests, are they?!?  :no:

OK - and where should I buy?
Haha they're not the best looking

https://www.minidisc.com.au/koss-porta-pro-headphones-classic

You can buy them cheaper from Drop.com but they come with an inline mic that doesn't play well with some amplifiers.
They're a great headphone I love em
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everyone, please excuse be for butting in. I have been looking for a decent pair of BT headphones for home and the yearly overseas flight junket. Where l live, it is very hard to demo headphones...the old hygein bugbear. But l had heard a friend's Bose and Sony BTs. But wasn't overly impressed with the sound signature.

So have pulled the trigger solely on the back of reviews. Narrowed it down to three. The Sennheiser PXC550, Sony 100 and Bose QC 35 Il. JB HIFI had the 3, but l came away with the PXC. Mainly on price.
Got them for $280, significantly cheaper than the others.

Got them home and paired. Great sound, but the volume seems to be lacking. Not sure if this has been covered before, so apologies up front if it as. It's comfortably loud, but would have liked a good tad more. I noticed the same issue with the Sony's and Bose on the same phone. So I'm thinking it's a phone issue, not the headphone? The phone is a Samsung A5.

I have tried setting the volume on high with the headphones, and my phone on the lowest volume setting. But both equal simulationaly when l pair them.

Can this be rectified?

Or do l have to go the dac/amp thing. Which l don't want to do. Trying to keep it as minimalistic as possible. Plus l have a really good pair of Audio Technica wired cans that l use on my main system.

Would l l have to buy another phone such as the LG V30+ which l believe has a built in amp? I love the sound, but the volume issue is almost a deal breaker.

19 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Hi Everyone, please excuse be for butting in. I have been looking for a decent pair of BT headphones for home and the yearly overseas flight junket. Where l live, it is very hard to demo headphones...the old hygein bugbear. But l had heard a friend's Bose and Sony BTs. But wasn't overly impressed with the sound signature.

So have pulled the trigger solely on the back of reviews. Narrowed it down to three. The Sennheiser PXC550, Sony 100 and Bose QC 35 Il. JB HIFI had the 3, but l came away with the PXC. Mainly on price.
Got them for $280, significantly cheaper than the others.

Got them home and paired. Great sound, but the volume seems to be lacking. Not sure if this has been covered before, so apologies up front if it as. It's comfortably loud, but would have liked a good tad more. I noticed the same issue with the Sony's and Bose on the same phone. So I'm thinking it's a phone issue, not the headphone? The phone is a Samsung A5.

I have tried setting the volume on high with the headphones, and my phone on the lowest volume setting. But both equal simulationaly when l pair them.

Can this be rectified?

Or do l have to go the dac/amp thing. Which l don't want to do. Trying to keep it as minimalistic as possible. Plus l have a really good pair of Audio Technica wired cans that l use on my main system.

Would l l have to buy another phone such as the LG V30+ which l believe has a built in amp? I love the sound, but the volume issue is almost a deal breaker.

Do the headphones have an option to use a wired connection instead of Bluetooth or do you have access to another source? I'd try different source just to rule out the headphone limitation. 

Guest Benjet

Ok it’s a couple of weeks in and time for me to give some impression on the HD800 with the SDR mod. I’ve been fine tuning a rig to run these on a have got them pretty much sorted.

The Rig:

Amp: Bottlehead Crack (clone with few upgrades). 5998 power tube and Mazda blue print 12au7 driver tube.

DAC: PDX. This one is my latest modded one with the all the bells and whistles. Running in non-oversampling with Duelund output caps. Very nice pair of Voskhod 75’ Silver Shield tubes driving the output stage.

Headphones: HD800 with SDR mod. Black Dragon cable.

Source: Music server running Roon and steaming Tidal. JCat USB interface piping the magic through a Curious Cable.

It’s been a bit of a journey to audio Nirvana with these cans. They are so revealing that if something is just slightly off with your system, it really throw things out of whack, but get it right and the rewards are significant. I’ve found a conservative approach works well with selecting tubes. The tubes I ended up using gave the sound signature a gentle push in certain directions. No need for a heavy handed approach, the modded HD800 sound darn fine and the addition voicing done with the tubes needs to carefully considered. One wrong tube and you’ll be miles from where you want it. 

Anyhow enough about that, now how does it sound? Well to me it sounds exactly the way I wanted the HD800 to sound. The HD800 held so much promise, but I feel it was let down by it’s notorious frequency spikes. I always felt that it needed more in the bass department, but in reality it wasn’t the whole truth. Taming those fly away frequencies allows you to dial in some more volume which in turns increases the bottom end. Then just add a touch more (my 5998 power tube helped here) and there you have it, bass is sorted.

As for the mids, these headphones can sound a little analytical at times and need a touch on warmth in this area to sweeten them up a bit. The Voskhod Silver Shield tubes in the DAC provide great mids with touch of warmth whilst still having enough grip keep things from getting too wooly.

Top end. Well this is an area that was pretty sorted already and the main reason I wanted a pair of these cans. Out of the box these have an amazing top end, super wide soundstage, excellent separation. Probably the closest to “listening to speakers” sound out there. What they lack in intimacy is made up for with spatial detail. These cans are a great compliment to my Utopias. The Utopias create a amazingly detailed intimate sound scape that sounds like it’s a few metres from you, whilst the HD800 sound like everything has taken several steps back and several steps apart. Both are incredible at what they do and I’m glad to have such contrast between them. Picking which one is better is like picking out a favourite child.

I’m so glad I gave these cans another go. I’ve always though they held some treasures, I just had to do some digging. These are on the “keeper” list and along with the Utopia, cover all the bases for me. Feels like I’ve just finally finished a challenging but rewarding computer game, so roll the credits while I listen to the soundtrack, job done!!