General Headphone Chat

Guest Benjet
I salute your quest for individual sonic reception. Your one resourceful mofo. 

Obsessed would be a better word [emoji6]

Definitely an obsession!

Also something that you need the time to do, and a healthy budget helps.

I'll get there one day, two young kids and running a business leaves me with neither time nor spare money. Both due to the children actually...

Not minding the Nighthawks at the moment. The fit is a bit odd, quite loose feeling. But light and you do forget about them, I just prefer a bit more clamp force and big soft pads for use with glasses. Pretty easy listening can. Obviously better than the HD650, clearer, airy, more detailed. But not to the point of like the Clear where some stuff just sounds ****.

• Like 1

Guest Benjet
1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Definitely an obsession!

I'll get there one day, two young kids and running a business leaves me with neither time nor spare money. Both due to the children actually...

Not minding the Nighthawks at the moment. The fit is a bit odd, quite loose feeling. But light and you do forget about them, I just prefer a bit more clamp force and big soft pads for use with glasses. Pretty easy listening can. Obviously better than the HD650, clearer, airy, more detailed. But not to the point of like the Clear where some stuff just sounds ****.

Don't discount the HD650's. With the right gear, these really shine!! I love mine.

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Definitely an obsession!

Find the time. Save yourself from online curiosity!

To be honest I wasn't blown away by the Focal lineup...

39 minutes ago, Benjet said:

Don't discount the HD650's. With the right gear, these really shine!! I love mine.

I haven't! I like them. Merely saying that a quick A/B between them is night(hawk) and day. If you wanted a casual laid back headphone, never really sounded bad, and you didn't mind the fit, the Nighthawks are great option. If they were the same price as the HD6xx, its a no brainer. HD6xx is stupid value though.

If someone can suggest to me the perfect closed can I would appreciate that. Also then send it to me to demo, ta.

Do the headphones have an option to use a wired connection instead of Bluetooth or do you have access to another source? I'd try different source just to rule out the headphone limitation. 
Thanks for input.
Haven't had BT headphones for a while and only in ear buds.

I think maybe l under estimated what these PXCs can do. Also a bit of buyer's remorse. I expected more from a pair of $500 cans, even though l payed a lot less. Also my wired speakers at $400 are far superior.

Anyway after a few days burn in, they are sounding better and better. And for some reason sound loud enough. Way better sound then anny of the Bose, Sony equivalent...by a far margin.

So all In all I'm very happy. They seem to get better with each listen. Still think a good amp phone like the LG V30+ will really make them shine.

10 hours ago, Bengineer said:

I haven't! I like them. Merely saying that a quick A/B between them is night(hawk) and day. If you wanted a casual laid back headphone, never really sounded bad, and you didn't mind the fit, the Nighthawks are great option. If they were the same price as the HD6xx, its a no brainer. HD6xx is stupid value though.

If someone can suggest to me the perfect closed can I would appreciate that. Also then send it to me to demo, ta.

I downloaded Carmen Gomes Sings the Blues a few weeks ago - easy jazz more-or-less, and for sound quality it's one of the best recordings I've ever heard. It's in DSD or PCM from 96khz on up. Anyway, I'm using this album as a final test of new headphones, or how well any headphone responds to mods or EQ. Highly recommended, and hard to believe it was a live audience.

https://www.soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

• Like 1

Have you thought about getting the T50RPs modified?

I'm really interested in the Argon MkIII

Also what are your thoughts on the Utopias?

I went back to Minidisc today and got some photos for you guys.

I went there to purchase the Fostex T50RP MK3, while I was there demo'd Focal Clear and Utopia.

64536334_414542005801442_3443642028460605440_n.thumb.jpg.a64102e0eda7778685d09aa045eaf293.jpg

64831181_303382563903748_5438262816823836672_n.thumb.jpg.68c12b8bffa2a7350ae06f9bd91624c3.jpg

64486712_2166884053418553_6266061997272465408_n.thumb.jpg.62e19ab48e0f2c37f32728c03ba9e747.jpg

65091899_381084775847292_2009917945748127744_n.thumb.jpg.d335e52206f1199a681ba75a0d1504b2.jpg

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Farpun said:

Have you thought about getting the T50RPs modified?

I'm really interested in the Argon MkIII

Also what are your thoughts on the Utopias?

When I went in yesterday I listened to quite a few potential headphones, Sennhesier HD660, Grado PS500e, Beyerdynamic DT880, Fostex T60RP.

For the sound I want to achieve the two headphones bringing me closest were the Fostex T50RP and Beyer DT880, it was a tough decision between those, the DT880 really win in comfort and the tonality I'm looking for but the T50RP MK3 tick more boxes, they're versatile, detailed, quite coherent during testing busy passages, apart from the comfort being pretty average with stock pads I heard more expensive headphones offering less. I've not what they can achieve modded but besides switching out the pads I'm extremely happy with them and no stranger to owning some pricey IEMs by Tralucent Audio, I know how good music should sound.

The Focal linep were very good, I'd be lying if I said they weren't, with the short 15-minutes I spent with Utopia the build quality is amazing, you won't see a better looking robust headphone, the comfort, oh my the comfort was excellent. Sound wise I wasn't blown away, I feel they may push the boundaries of what's acceptable pricing for a headphone but they were clean, detailed, good soundstage and bass quality. I just didn't get an instant wow but that may change with a longer demo.

HD800s would be my pick!

• Like 1

What pads are you looking at? ZMF are great for the T50RPs

When I went in yesterday I listened to quite a few potential headphones, Sennhesier HD660, Grado PS500e, Beyerdynamic DT880, Fostex T60RP.

For the sound I want to achieve the two headphones bringing me closest were the Fostex T50RP and Beyer DT880, it was a tough decision between those, the DT880 really win in comfort and the tonality I'm looking for but the T50RP MK3 tick more boxes, they're versatile, detailed, quite coherent during testing busy passages, apart from the comfort being pretty average with stock pads I heard more expensive headphones offering less. I've not what they can achieve modded but besides switching out the pads I'm extremely happy with them and no stranger to owning some pricey IEMs by Tralucent Audio, I know how good music should sound.

The Focal linep were very good, I'd be lying if I said they weren't, with the short 15-minutes I spent with Utopia the build quality is amazing, you won't see a better looking robust headphone, the comfort, oh my the comfort was excellent. Sound wise I wasn't blown away, I feel they may push the boundaries of what's acceptable pricing for a headphone but they were clean, detailed, good soundstage and bass quality. I just didn't get an instant wow but that may change with a longer demo.

HD800s would be my pick!

I don't know yet, nothing too expensive hopefully. [emoji14] 

Have you heard anything about these?

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/fostex/products/fostex-tr-90-professsional-semi-open-headphones
No I haven't heard about them at all, they look interesting.
I was looking at the T60RP aswell, did you give them a listen at mindisc?

30 minutes ago, Farpun said:

No I haven't heard about them at all, they look interesting.
I was looking at the T60RP aswell, did you give them a listen at mindisc?

Yes! Very briefly, they sounded slightly brighter then the T50RP and a touch grainy?

The demo was very short so don't hold me on that.

21 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah, screw you. I mean, thanks also.

Haha!

Just got the MW07. Packaging is very Apple ish.

Initial listening via iPhone’s TIDAL app - not good.

I attributed it to using basic A2DP - no support for AAC because listening to AptX via TIDAL on my MBP sounded noticeably better.

But as I’m settling in for the night I switch back to the iPhone TIDAL again and it seems better. Some times a little messy in the bass. But the clarity and ability to resolve the background instruments is startling.

Just got FiiO FH7 IEM's quite impressed with the bass delivery and clear highs and mids. Looking forward to pair with my preordered FiiO M11 DAP that should arrive early July. When my Custom IEM's come in around around the same time (StealthSonics C4's) will be able to compare with the U4 too.

Also got a Han Sound Audio Zen 8 cable to go with each set. So my headfi is sorted for the next year or 2 I think...solid cable man...thanks to the guys at Music Sanctuary

Oh yeah and another IEM to try coming soon CCA C16 with 16 Units Balanced Armature Earphone :- 8 Balanced Armature Units per Side + High-order Sound Performance Benchmark. Two customized heavy bass 22955 Balanced Armature units, Responsible for raising the Bass frequency dives deep, At the same time, it is equipped with Four 30095 high frequency Balanced Armature units+Two 29689 Mid frequency Balanced Armature which is responsible for extending the Mid &High frequency instrumental details and layering.

The CCA's are $150 USD so hard to beat for potential performance...time will tell.

Note to self - never sleep with wired headphones. Damaged the bundled cables on my Ho’s headphone from the MO over a year ago.

Lucky it was just the cables. I looked at the connectors and saw they were mono 3.5mm jacks. Same as my Focal ELEX and I happened to have them in the office. Along with some ridiculously priced cables [emoji2357][emoji1787][emoji2957]

ec501ffa479ab82183b46ab6d7160e79.jpg

And yes, even on cables that cost about 5x more, the Ho’s headphones still sound even better

On 20/06/2019 at 12:24 PM, Ewok209 said:

I don't know yet, nothing too expensive hopefully. :P 

Have you heard anything about these?

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/fostex/products/fostex-tr-90-professsional-semi-open-headphones

I have a pair of them, initally when I bought them I was pretty happy with them. But after buying the Dekoni Blues, I find the tr-90 to be too sharp. But I suppoose the tr-90's are inteneded as monitoring headphones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PUNCHiiT said:

I have a pair of them, initally when I bought them I was pretty happy with them. But after buying the Dekoni Blues, I find the tr-90 to be too sharp. But I suppoose the tr-90's are inteneded as monitoring headphones.

Makes me wonder how my T50RP MK3 would sound with the Dekoni blue pads, A2A seems to sell them separately.

I wasn't aware this Dekoni Blue version existed until now so thanks.