Avengers: Endgame (No Spoilers)

Hi all. I went and saw the early morning session and I've come away somewhat disappointed. Not giving away spoilers but felt the 3hr long story was too long for what it was and felt it was very simple story telling. Some huge missed opportunities that fans like myself were really hoping for but never came. 

I like Infinity War so much more. Keen to hear others impressions.

Edited by SimonNo10
  • Like 1

Expected more, and wanted more twists and turns. In some ways, a different Avengers movie, not the worse (Age of Ultron wins that hands down) but no way matching the first Avengers movie.

7 out of 10...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Expected more, and wanted more twists and turns. In some ways, a different Avengers movie, not the worse (Age of Ultron wins that hands down) but no way matching the first Avengers movie.

7 out of 10...

Yep my thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1

Having now watched the film, I will try to give my 2cents worth in a NON-SPOILER way. These are just my own opinion only.

• 'Endgame' is a different movie to the previous 'Infinity War', the premise has changed, so it should be judged in that context. People anticipating a carbon copy of Infinity War (in terms of movie experience) could indeed feel disappointed.
  • If people watch Endgame expecting a credible and entertaining resolution of the premise set up by Infinity War, then I think most would be satisfied.
  • Moreover Endgame provided a mind-blowing wrap-up of the previous 21 films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and did so in a clever and touching way. The downside is that viewers should brush up on the earlier movies to enjoy Endgame to the max. So watch away :)
  • Where Endgame surpassed Infinity War is in characters development, there was plenty of that and done in a loving manner. One could tell the movie makers loved the Avengers characters and they pay their ode to them in this movie. Like Star Trek movies to Trekkies? Maybe. I would say Endgame is more like 'Return of the King' to the LOTR trilogy.

Those dot points sum up what the film makers tried to achieve with Endgame, with a huge ensemble cast, and facing the incredible expectation set up by Infinity War. Sure, anyone could be critical of aspects in the movie, but I feel the film makers struck the right balance and compromise when faced with such a daunting task. Honestly, I didn't feel 3 hours was long enough ?. "Nuff said!

Edited by LHC
  • Like 1

I went last time, very well worth my time. Agree 100% with @LHC.

Basically, if you liked previous Marvel / Avengers movies, this will not disappoint. It's bleak, funny, touching, and wraps up previous 21 movies very well, plus it leaves the door open for more to come.

My advantage, I've been on leave this week, so I caught up with some of my previous Avengers, Thors, Iron Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc, and I can say that Endgame fits nicely in all of it. Will definitively watch again when out on BD.

My 2c.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

Saw it.  Didn't mind it.  And while there was only a small number of people in the cinema when I saw it, got to say that the silence was deafening at one stage.

But yeah, funny, sad, entertaining.  Glad I saw it in the cinema.

I too feel very disappointed. Did not like the story at all and a lot of scenes were overly long or unnecessary. Probably fares better for those who is a big fan of Marvel movie and love every little details about it...

For example, who really cares if Tony Stark really likes cheeseburger!? And don’t get me started with CM!!!

Even though it might be smashing opening day box office records, the test of its success will be determined (IMHO) by the continuing revenue and attendances in the coming month.  Also how good sales are beyond the cinema.  I haven't seen this movie yet, so I'll reserve my opinion until such time as I have.  Might be to my liking, or maybe not.  Looks like a lot of varying opinions from the reviews I've read so far in the media.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Geeks at work are telling me that having only seen two Avengers movies, and both ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’, plus ‘Thor Ragnarock’, I might as well not see this one.

No point and I won’t get it, they say...

True?

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

Geeks at work are telling me that having only seen two Avengers movies, and both ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’, plus ‘Thor Ragnarock’, I might as well not see this one.

True?

At the very least, you need to have watched Infinity War.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched it at Crown Saturday and loved it. One of my mates went in without seeing any of the other marvel movies and He did not like it as story did not make much sense to him. I have seen all of the previous movies and  liked how scenes were linked to previous  ones.  Yes it was a bit long but I enjoyed throughout.

Cheers

9 hours ago, candyflip said:

True?

As @Quark suggested, watch Infinity War first. Then watch Ant-Man and The Wasp (including its after-credit scene), and you are good to go. 

• Like 1

I must say I fall asleep in the mid of Captain Marvel, probably due to the story, the comfy chair and the not so great crushed black picture of the cinema I visited. But Endgame is a different story. I enjoy every moment of it. And the 3D picture is so great that I pray they won't skip it on BD release. I went to a different cinema this time and PQ is world better with all black details visible behind the 3D glasses. I truly believe this movie is meant to be watched in 3D even for its length. Only 1 session of 3D in a day and less than 10 watching in its sixth day of release. I feel sad. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 months later...
On 24/04/2019 at 8:28 PM, Snoopy8 said:

7 out of 10...

Saw this again at home since my opening day comments. This time, watched Infinity War immediately followed by Endgame.  It made more sense and I enjoyed the movie more. Can now rate it a 8 out of 10.

Wonder anyone had the same experience with a second look?

• Like 1

I did the same the other night. Watched Infinity Wars and followed with the first hour of Endgame. Finished Endgame the night after. What can I say, I like them both, the humour, the twists in the plot, the images, the battles, all top notch. Ok, battles maybe a tad over the top, but it's Avengers, it's what you'd expect. The humour and chemistry between characters is what really gets me all the time.

Cheers,

Alberto

2 hours ago, betocool said:

I did the same the other night. Watched Infinity Wars and followed with the first hour of Endgame. Finished Endgame the night after. What can I say, I like them both, the humour, the twists in the plot, the images, the battles, all top notch. Ok, battles maybe a tad over the top, but it's Avengers, it's what you'd expect. The humour and chemistry between characters is what really gets me all the time.

Cheers,

Alberto

Saw End game on 4K UHD when they released it, I thought they upped the game in the Audio department. The sound seems a lot better than previous Marvel movies.

• 3 months later...

Loved Endgame was great on 4k :D

They should of summoned Darth Vader tho back from a Galaxy far far away a Long long time ago ?

I really wanna know what happened to Thor's Hammer!? Capt took it back with him but did he keep it at home for 50 years, build a few sheds out of it perhaps ?️

Edited by Powerslave