Focal Kanta 3 vs Sopra 2

Haven't done a back to back but have heard both a few times. 

I really like the Sopras and if it's in budget and you have electronics up to the task I'd say go for it. 

The Kantas are good but way, way overpriced I think. I don't really like the aesthetic either. 

As always best to listen for yourself even if you have to make a trip at this price range. The electronics really is a big thing. The pairing Focal use with micromega is awful to my ears. 

5 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Haven't done a back to back but have heard both a few times. 

I really like the Sopras and if it's in budget and you have electronics up to the task I'd say go for it. 

The Kantas are good but way, way overpriced I think. I don't really like the aesthetic either. 

As always best to listen for yourself even if you have to make a trip at this price range. The electronics really is a big thing. The pairing Focal use with micromega is awful to my ears. 

Thanks for the feedback, I don’t know anywhere in Adelaide that I would have both of those for demo. 

Im currently using a Emotiva XPA3 which would need to be replaced?

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, I don’t know anywhere in Adelaide that I would have both of those for demo. 

Im currently using a Emotiva XPA3 which would need to be replaced?
Melbourne is pretty close.

Not necessarily but it's not an amp I'd put with them. Guessing your pre and dac are emotiva or same level too?

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

Melbourne is pretty close.

Not necessarily but it's not an amp I'd put with them. Guessing your pre and dac are emotiva or same level too?

Yeah might need to do that.

At the risk needing a flame suit, currently using a Denon receiver with preouts to the Emotiva. 

Yeah might need to do that.

At the risk needing a flame suit, currently using a Denon receiver with preouts to the Emotiva. 
I would with that sort of investment

Haha gotta start somewhere mate. I started with a Denon receiver too.

Try listen to as much as you can and don't jump the gun. There's some great stuff in Adelaide. The hifi shows are good learning too.

5 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I would with that sort of investment

Haha gotta start somewhere mate. I started with a Denon receiver too.

Try listen to as much as you can and don't jump the gun. There's some great stuff in Adelaide. The hifi shows are good learning too.

Forgot to mention, this is a multi purpose system with music, movies, and gaming. And will have the center speaker. 

Edited by Monster11

Forgot to mention, this is a multi purpose system with music, movies, and gaming. 
Look into HT bypass. There's a Vitus integrated in the classifieds that would be perfect with that level of speaker.
Also there's an Audio Analogue Maestro but not sure if it does ht bypass.

Depends how important music is though. I'm heavily biased towards it.

10 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Look into HT bypass. There's a Vitus integrated in the classifieds that would be perfect with that level of speaker.
Also there's an Audio Analogue Maestro but not sure if it does ht bypass.

Depends how important music is though. I'm heavily biased towards it.

Thanks for that.

So music is probably the least used out of those three. Ratio would be music, movies, gaming being 20:40:40. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Monster11 said:

Just in case you haven't checked, Vision Living has a pair of Sopras upstairs (I think it's a No 3 though) but they have no Kantas, so not a direct help

Edited by sakabatou
missed a word

13 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

would be a sin to not at least consider these

if they somehow haven't sold already

Absolutely correct. These will trump both the Sopra and Kanta.

However, they have been officially sold this morning.

Highly recommend the OP to look into existing Utopia lines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyberkank said:

Absolutely correct. These will trump both the Sopra and Kanta.

However, they have been officially sold this morning.

Highly recommend the OP to look into existing Utopia lines.

I would love something from the Utopia range, but that is a whole different price point. 

Hi, 

I spent some time with kanta, sopra, aria and chorus. Basically kanta and sopra are for critical listening, they require good electronics, room treatment, positioning. Extremely reveling beryllium tweeters, only for high quality audiophile recordings. 

In your case I would go with Arias and use the saved money on amplifiers, sources...

3 hours ago, Irek said:

Hi, 

I spent some time with kanta, sopra, aria and chorus. Basically kanta and sopra are for critical listening, they require good electronics, room treatment, positioning. Extremely reveling beryllium tweeters, only for high quality audiophile recordings. 

In your case I would go with Arias and use the saved money on amplifiers, sources...

Understand what your saying, but are the Aria’s really much of a step above my 826v?

21 hours ago, Monster11 said:

I would love something from the Utopia range, but that is a whole different price point. 

You can look into existing Utopia range like the one I advertised. The performance is much better than the Focal lower range.

3 hours ago, Irek said:

Hi, 

This is also true, the higher you go up the chain. The more they demand of good electronics / room acoustics. Although once you have a pair of great speaker, you can easily hear incremental improvement in SQ every time you change things upstream or add room acoustics.

In my experience, room acoustics (first reflection point absorption) gave the best bang for buck. Although they have greatest impact on aesthetics of the room, which can be bad/good depending on what you select.

Edited by cyberkank
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Monster11 said:

Understand what your saying, but are the Aria’s really much of a step above my 826v?

I think aria 948 should give you much better experience but you can always check it for yourself. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So it’s all happened pretty quickly, went and had a listen to some Sopra 3 for several hours, feel in love and ordered some Sopra 2 and centre. 

Had them a week now, and very impressed. Such a massive improvement from the 826v. 

Must be time for a new amp.......

• Like 2

On 12/04/2019 at 10:23 PM, Irek said:

Wow, congratulations! It's going to be one of the best system for gaming. Very very good for movies and music.  

Yeah the level of detail in the sound is just amazing, so much clarity and so much more precise. I can hear some much more than ever before. Makes for a very immersive experience.  And things like gun shots are so real. Before I knew it was a gun shot sound, but now it actually sounds like a gun going off in the room. 

Will be be interesting to see how much better it gets with better electronics. So many choices there......

Edited by Monster11

On 12/04/2019 at 9:20 PM, Monster11 said:

So it’s all happened pretty quickly, went and had a listen to some Sopra 3 for several hours, feel in love and ordered some Sopra 2 and centre. 

Had them a week now, and very impressed. Such a massive improvement from the 826v. 

Was that at Vision?

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Very exciting. They will only get better and better

Yeah I can tell they are already getting better, and I know that Focal run in time takes a lot of hours. 

11 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

Was that at Vision?

Sure was, they are a great bunch of guys!

On 12/04/2019 at 9:50 PM, Monster11 said:

did you end up getting a new amp